Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need quick responses regarding directional borders

Blog Entries

Need quick responses regarding directional borders

I'm using a fabric that has a directional print of animals for the last border. Do I make the top and bottom go sideways OR cut the top and bottom in the upright position and have a diagonal seam? I've always used the rule of never putting a seam in the last border.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

If you have enough I do it so the animals are standing up straight on all four sides. If not, I then have the sides with the feet towards the quilt. The top and bottom you can do it which ever way looks good to you. I have done where the top and bottom are both upright or they lay just like the sides, feet towards the quilt. Do what you think that looks right. Don't stress.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I think I'd cut the top and bottom in the upright position and break my own rule and have a vertical seam instead of a diagonal one, unless you feel pretty confident you can match the pattern with a diagonal seam.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would do it to where it looked as though they were walking/standing around the quilt.

Blog Entries
    Unless the center of the quilt is directional (like a panel) I would make all their feet either point in to the center, then miter the corners. This way, every way you used the quilt, part of the border will be correct. If the center is also directional, I would make all the borders face the same way. So you would cut some along the length of fabric and some along the width. I'm a bit anal, and have a background in garment construction, so I would buy extra and match the print to disguise the seams.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the input; I think I will try a matched seam in the top and bottom. This is a print with different size animal portraits and they don't show feet so cutting with the feet in wouldn't work.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

If the rest of the quilt has a "right side up", the last border should, too. If not, I like the idea of having the animals all "standing / walking" around the edge.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!