Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need suggestions for a 10 month old...

My DH and I are going to CA in November to visit our 3 grown up "kids". We have a 3 year old grandson that I've made a machine embroidered Disney wall hanging for his room because he loves to go to Disneyland (they only live a few miles away). He has a brother that will be 10 months old by the time we get there (his birthday is in January). This will be the first we've seen him. I want to make something for him but I'm not sure what to make for a 10 month old. Since they live in So. CA I don't want to make anything "warm", like fleece. Any suggestions???

How about an eye-spy quilt? He's too young now, but it's something he could grow into soon. Just do a small one they can take to Dr. visits etc.

Blog Entries
    I love that suggestion! Maybe use flannel as a batting to keep it a lighter weight, too. :D:D:D

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    What about a fabric book. I have plans to make a book quilt. There might be a real name for it but I don't know it. I am using a fabric book (most are 100% cotton)and using the pages as blocks and doing an attic windows pattern. I think it was 12 pages so it will be 3 blocks wide by 4 blocks long, with boarders it will be perfect.

I live in S CA. If you want to make something year round, maybe a cotton flannel batting. My grandson uses a pieced fleece coverlet even in the summer when he naps, it keeps the chill of the air conditioning off him.

Great suggestions!!!

I like the idea of flannel as backing and maybe some cute teddy bears on top. Make sure to preshrink the flannel.

Embroidery a Disney design on a tee shirt for the 10 month old or a bath towel. Little ones love their bath.

What about something that is a playmat for on the floor or in the backyard etc.

What about a small pallet to lay in the floor, like for when he naps.

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    I live in S CA. If you want to make something year round, maybe a cotton flannel batting. My grandson uses a pieced fleece coverlet even in the summer when he naps, it keeps the chill of the air conditioning off him.
    As a former So. Ca resident, I can assure you that making a fleece or flannel blanket will get used. So. Ca has plenty of cold days, and nights, especially if someone lives close to the coast. I agree with CarolJ about the air conditioning. I always carried a sweater in my car for those chilly air conditioned establishments!

When we lived in San Diego, we lived about 12 miles from the coast. We did not have air conditioning, and it was only a few days in the summer that I wished we had it. Otherwise the temps were fairly mild.

I like the idea of a flannel backed quilt with no batting. The I spy one would be so much fun. have fun on your trip.

Thanks everyone! DH and I are former So. CA residents but it's been 10 years since we lived there and I've forgotten that it can be chilly and that's a good point about the air conditioning. I like the idea of a of a lightweight flannel backed quilt with no batting. Great ideas, gals...thanks :)