Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In need of suggestions-tree skirt progressing >

In need of suggestions-tree skirt progressing

In need of suggestions-tree skirt progressing

Old 11-13-2015, 05:04 PM

Default In need of suggestions-tree skirt progressing

You have been so helpful with this project...one more question. I stitched the cross hatching with the top and batting only, prior to adding beading, bows, etc. I have a little more embellishing to do, and then I need to put the backing on and bind it. (I am going to stitch the seam between the 2 "end panels" closed and the artificial tree will slip into the bound center hole-idea from Paper Princess and her Swooning tree skirt!). Any suggestions on how to secure the backing?? I didn't want to quilt the 3 layers together and then have all of my embellishment stitches showing on the back of the skirt. I thought about doing random FMQ snowflakes? Or should I hand tack the backing along the quilting lines? Thanks again for always being here to help!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 11-13-2015, 06:19 PM

jill, this is wonderful! I would seam the end panels as you said and then "birth the backing". Leave an opening in the backing end panels seam for turning and stitch the inner circle and the outer edge. Trim and clip the curves and turn the backing right side out.
Then to secure the backing to the rest you could stitch in the ditch on the wedge seams.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM

I think the birthing would be good, too. That would take care of all of your raw seams.

If you don't mind my asking, is this pattern your own design or did you find a pattern? I have been wanting to make a tree shirt and love this one.

Fredda
Old 11-13-2015, 07:07 PM

I'm facing exactly the same issue with a tree skirt I'm making. A very experienced friend gave me exactly the same advice. I hope it goes well for you. (Heck, I hope it goes well for me, too!)
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 PM

Wow, the quilting made it wonderful. I would think just tacking it would be ok.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

You could use the invisible tie or international stitch to hold the layers together. I just did this with a cherished family quilt that needed lots of repair to the front and a new batting and backing. Was not going to redo all of that hand quilting. Was very satisfied with the result. Here's a link to a demo video.

http://youtu.be/cEkHht2oJsg
Old 11-14-2015, 04:42 AM

Thank you for the suggestions! Birthing is probably the best way to finish the seams, but I made several yards of bias candy cane striped binding that I hope to use! . I may need to rethink that! SITD along the panel seams sounds like a very good idea! Thank you!
Freda, after several attempts to draft my own skirt pattern, I purchased a McCall's pattern for the skirt pattern and altered it-originally the pattern finished at 42" (?) in diameter and I wanted it larger...mine will finish at 60". The gingerbread house was a block of the month pattern, and the rest of the appliqués are originals....I either drew them or found free images online to use as a pattern. This has been a fun project, and I am anxious to get it completed and gifted to the "kids"!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:47 AM

You could birth it and still use the the candy cane binding which would be just adorable!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 AM

I absolutely love this. You did an awesome job!
Old 11-14-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
You could birth it and still use the the candy cane binding which would be just adorable!
I agree. Just make sure to trim down the batting close to the seam before you birth it.