Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need tips on selling quilts

I belong to a small quilting guild "Cheaha in the woods" and there are very few craft shows in our area. Where else could we sell our quilts?

We make easy care pieced quilts (cotton blends) and sewing machine quilt them. We love sewing quilts and often donate them to non-profit organizations. We would like to sell a few and have some money to buy more fabric to make more quilts.

We would love some advice.

ebay...and esty

travel from the area your in to areas that have shows.

i do a number of art shows and there's always a booth from Kentucky selling bed quilts.

they are great people and always do well enough to keep coming back every year.

i've know them for 5 years now.

this year we actually requested to be in booths across from each other since i make art quilts and they make bed quilts we were able to take advantage of each others strengths and pass the client over to each other to meet their needs.

Have you tried to raffle them off? Another good place to have a set "store" so to speak, is in one of those stores where you rent booth space! I know in Utah they have The Quilted Bear stores like that.

there's a web site called zibbit that might be helpful. it's like etsy.

That is a GREAT idea pnptrapp. I have sold a few quilts on eBay and you just don't get the value at all. People buying on eBay want things cheap like they were shopping at a garage sale, These are tough economical times. GOOD LUCK !!

Contact interior decorators, have samples available for inspection plus rates and discuss doing custom work. This would probably be bed skirts, quilts, shams, table covers.

If you are making baby quilts, could you sell them in a local children's clothing store/boutique?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    your local Craigslist! You do not have to sell where you have to deal with shipping..it is too cost prohibitive! And then there are fee's and the people not liking what they got, so they do a chargeback on paypal...and you lose no matter..so best to find a place you can SHOW your wares and get a fair price that YOU get to keep!

Farmer's market? Christmas craft shows? May have to pay a fee for a booth but, depending on how much you sell, it could be worth it. You may have more luck selling small pieces (table runners, placemats, etc.) as they are more affordable than an actual quilt. Baby things usually sell well though.

Are you close to a LARGE medical center? I've noticed that the large ones have several gift shops in them and particularly the gift shop for babies have pricey hand crafted items including baby quilts. Maybe you could get some quilts in one of these shops on consignment. If you live a distance from a large medical center perhaps you could arrange everything by email and send a quilted burp cloth for them examine as proof of your workmanship. In this economic downturn, you have to sell where you know people are still buying and where there are enough customers who have plenty of money. With idea in mind, you might also approach boutiques in resort hotels.

Blog Entries
    there is a site called--
    QUILTS FOR SALE
    they have very reasonable fees, and you set your price (as apposed to being at the mercy of bidders)
    their quilts tend to sell for good amounts- and they have really grown in the past couple years.
    visit their site-read the buyer facts/seller facts- it may be what you need.
    i have a friend in northern michigan who for years made quilts for an interior designer in Chicago---she paid very well!
    also some furnature shops will buy quilts to display on their beds - take them on consignment

Quote Originally Posted by pnptrapp
    Have you tried to raffle them off? Another good place to have a set "store" so to speak, is in one of those stores where you rent booth space! I know in Utah they have The Quilted Bear stores like that.
    One can't raffle a quilt in this country unless the money goes to charity.Are the laws so different?

Here's the link for Quilts for Sale. Looks like they're in Canada.

http://www.quiltsforsale.ca/

Keepsake Quilting in New Hampshire takes quilt on consignment.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieLou
    Here's the link for Quilts for Sale. Looks like they're in Canada.

http://www.quiltsforsale.ca/
    They deal in both Canada and the US. I have had a handquilted, full size patchwork quilt on there for a few months now, marked down to $350 because of a very slight flaw on the back, and still has not sold. I think it is hard on that site to find out which quilts are hand quilted, as most are machine quilted.

LOVE your hound, Maggie!!

I see etsy has been mentioned, but they are for individuals or maybe a partnership of 2-3 people, and not guilds.

Some people have success using facebook - posting pix in photo albums, incl. the details. It takes time to acquire a following though, but might be worth a shot. Just heard a woman say she sells her decorated gourds via facebook.

Best of luck!
    Sarah

My granddaughter has quit selling her jewelry on etsy because the buyer has to have an account on etsy to buy. She has gone to her own web site.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Quote Originally Posted by pnptrapp
    One can't raffle a quilt in this country unless the money goes to charity.Are the laws so different?
    It would be going to a charity, so to speak. Here at least, there are quilts being raffled all the time as fund raisers for causes, charities, and also for clubs and guild to raise money to continue doing what they do. I think this might vary by state here in the US, but Everywhere I've ever been there have been quilts being raffled for different causes.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois
    Farmer's market? Christmas craft shows? May have to pay a fee for a booth but, depending on how much you sell, it could be worth it. You may have more luck selling small pieces (table runners, placemats, etc.) as they are more affordable than an actual quilt. Baby things usually sell well though.

That's what we do in order to raise funds for our Quilts for Kids chapter. You are right-the smaller things sell much better. With the exception of 1 full size quilt, we've made the most $$ on small quilts and aprons.

craigslist - no fees...but the people do usually pick up at your home.

Quote Originally Posted by 1screech
    craigslist - no fees...but the people do usually pick up at your home.
    Many people, both sellers and buyers, prefer to meet at a place in public, ie Walmart parking lot...I've never sold anything on Craigslist, but I do buy things...and I prefer a public meeting place...Naomi

gus
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for link

try etsy.com :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast