Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Brother Dream Machine 2 (XV8550D) price. >

New Brother Dream Machine 2 (XV8550D) price.

New Brother Dream Machine 2 (XV8550D) price.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

It's not the price that puts me off these machines.
I know I won't use all the features of the machine. Turn it on and sew a straight stitch would be 95% of my sewing. I would rather have several machines, one for each purpose. I have a Brother 1500 for quilting, Bernina 1260 for piecing, Singer Quantum for decorative stitches and fonts. Several portable machines for classes and retreats. All total the cost of these machines would be less then a down payment on one of the newest ones. My friends that have the Dream or new Bernina 830 seldom do anything other then piece with it. And the simplest problem cost them over $200 for the tech to look at it.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:42 AM

Leta, I have a Viking Designer I that was given to me by a dear friend a year or so ago, and I love it for embroidery! I bought a new 3.5" floppy disk drive from Amazon and some discs, and I was off and running! I know there are plenty of things the newfangled machines can do, but I'm happy with this one.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Leta, I have a Viking Designer I that was given to me by a dear friend a year or so ago, and I love it for embroidery! I bought a new 3.5" floppy disk drive from Amazon and some discs, and I was off and running! I know there are plenty of things the newfangled machines can do, but I'm happy with this one.
DonnaC, I love mine too!! There is some very inexpensive software online, Embird, ( https://www.embird.net/ ) that will allow you to "convert" ANY embroidery design and write it to your floppy disks - that has been WONDERFUL to allow me to buy the newest designs and be able to stitch them out. If you buy it and need help, just PM me. ( and I have NO affiliation with Embird, other than being a very satisfied customer.)

Viking is VERY good at continuing to offer new feet that will work even with these older machines. I just found out the other day that Viking has a "special bobbin case" to use for "bobbin work" - and yes, it fits our machines!! I'm going to have to get that!!
If your gifted machine does not have the 1/4" foot - it has a little "edge" that the fabric butts against - that is probably the #1 foot I would recommend getting for accurate piecing. The only thing I would change is have it accept a bigger hoop system - there are some embroidery designs that I would really like to stitch, but the size would require that I re-hoop - which is NOT something I'm adept at.

I really do like Viking products - my longarm is a Viking too.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:14 PM

I got a price of $6000 in my neck of the woods. Greensburg PA.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:17 AM

May I ask if this was a new, demo, class or used machine?
Old 11-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Yes, they are more expensive than a new car. However, the newer machines do make the things I do easier. They way I look at it is that it is less expensive than what people I know pay for golf clubs and membership dues at golf courses.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:14 PM

When it comes to buying sewing machines or any machine for that matter, you have to decide if it fits your needs and your budget. I always thought I would never buy an embroidery machine because I could not in my own mind justify $800.00 (boy was I wrong on that amount) for a machine that "only" embroidered. I wouldn't even sit down and look at them. Then one day I was in the local sewing machine repair shop and was having one of my FW's serviced to take to my sister in WA. And there is was - the Husqvarna/Viking Topaz 20, the salesman offered to show me the machine and I said I can't afford a Husqvarna, they start at $4K. Not even close, less than half that, and he thru in thread, a couple of hoops, designs, classes, etc. because it was a floor model he would even give me a full warranty. I was a little concerned about buyer's remorse, but once I got going with all it could do - I have had so much fun. Even my DH said as much fun as I have had with that machine it was worth twice what I paid for it. Now if I could just keep myself from buying so many designs to make. (Oh, and he serviced my FW for free too.)