Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New sewing desk >

New sewing desk

New sewing desk

Old 11-26-2015, 08:42 AM

I was looking for exactly what you are now two years ago. Most cabinets I saw were not designed for the sewist to sit with her body squared in front of the needle bar. There were a few that did and even said so in the description. One of those is the Large Quilter's Dream by Horn. Another is Big Bertha by Arrow; it is 1/2 the price of the Horn cabinet. Arrow Gidget (not Gidget II) is a rather sturdy portable table which also offers a center-needle sitting position for around $100. When looking at cabinets on the line, the key is to look for one with a wide sitting area. Then look to see if the needle of the machine in the photo is approximately in the middle of that space or a little bit to the left. You can also always call the company and ask. Hope that helps!
Old 11-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the input. I have seen pics of the big Bertha cabinet and it does seem to have a larger opening for a chair and may work. Also there is one called Norma Jean which is a possibility. I would love to go to various dealers to see cabinets first hand but it just isn't possible for several reasons. I do appreciate the advice and suggestions.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:02 AM

I looked for a sewing cabinet for years and years before I settled on mine. I stumbled onto it at half price but after all my years of waiting I couldn't be more pleased. It's called Quilter's Vision by Tailormade. It came with the acrylic insert and the lift system and yes I sit right in front of the needle. It has a huge fold up/down section all the way across the back to hold a large quilt and lots of room on the left and even drawers. I couldn't be happier! Hope you find exactly the one you want too!
Old 11-26-2015, 12:19 PM

here is a post by Bonnie Hunter on her ergonomic cabinet find. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2015/...m-cabinet.html
I think the ones from the 60's Singer finally realized how uncomfortable it was to sit to the right of the needle and their cabinets began to 'get with the program'. If it is a Singer you want to rehome in a ergonomic cabinet then you need to look for a Singer cabinet. Their (with exceptions of course) set in holes are 10" apart on center.. and the scoot your chair in area is much wider.

That said, I had a carpenter friend redo the hole in my featherweight table (like a card table) to avoid the bent back problem and my big Janome is in a banquet table I had a cabinet maker adapt to holding the machine. Good luck and let us know how you come out.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:44 PM

Maybe that's why I've always preferred a table with the machine on top and an adustable chair. I never thought of it.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 AM

When I got my sewing room set up, I bought a Sauder sewing table. It has a flat top, the machine does not fit into a cutout. There is a door that props up the table part to the left and it had lots of storage. To the left, there is a bit of room on the top, and a cabinet below with 3 shelves and a door. Below the table top, there is a shelf for more storage, though you can put your machine there if you want, it holds 75 pounds. I like it because I can move the machine around to where I want it, and even to the back if I want to do some pinning and need space. The table is from Walmart and I ordered it on line, had it shipped to the store (free) and took it home. Not too hard to put together, but it is heavy. But for the money, it has enough storage, and I can move my machine around on top so the needle is where I want it.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:42 AM

I have a Horn cabinet and it's wonderful. Bought a Janome 15000 and it just wouldn't set in my old cabinet and I sure didn't like it sitting on top as it was too high up for me to sew comfortably. Got my cabinet at my lqs and it's all put together so all we had to do was pick it up and bring it home and put machine in. Love, love it. It's the 3280 in oak. Hopefully I can post link, if not just do a search on Horn sewing machine cabinets.
https://www.hornofamerica.com/produc...s&productID=92
Old 11-27-2015, 10:50 AM

So many good suggestions. I like the looks of the Horn cabinet but I would need to purchase the sewing caddy - ouch, there goes my budget. The Taylormade cabinet appears to have storage built in, I think. Just things to consider.
You all are so helpful.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM

When you are looking at photos of the tables, check the chair space carefully, that is where you will be able to move to the left in order to line up with your needle. Good luck with your search
Old 11-27-2015, 12:48 PM

That is exactly what I have been trying ti do when looking at the pics online. But sometimes it is difficult to be sure sine the pics are at an angle. I think I have narrowed my choice to either the Tailormade (already assembled - yes!!!) or the Arrow Bertha (less expensive but must be assembled which the reviews indicate is quite a chore). Since my daughter and I are not skilled DIYers, I would most likely need to pay someone to put it together. And then there is the matter of getting a cabinet to my second floor sewing room and relocating the present cabinet to another room to use with my embroidery machine (not an ideal fit but workable for now). Man, this making my head hurt just thinking about it!