Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Singer that looks like FW >

New Singer that looks like FW

New Singer that looks like FW

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

Default New Singer that looks like FW

I am curious if anyone bought one of these new Singers - that have the vintage look - I know that Singer isn't as well made as it was years ago - but I was curious if anyone bought one and has good luck with it. I think it may be a great gift for a friend that sews occasionally but not all the time. I think its very cute and wouldn't mind having one myself as a backup machine. So would love any feedback.

Thanks,

Otis
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM

I haven't but I did see it is on sale at Joann's this week for $350. I'm in the category of I would rather spend it on an original if I already have an everyday machine. But I might feel differently if I had extra dollars floating around. It definitely is unique looking.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM

For that much money (or less) I'll go out and find an original Singer 221 Featherweight in pristine condition with an immaculate case and all the attachments ever made for it. Just remember that all new machines are made with plastic gears. Sooner or later they will wear out.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:04 PM

Not your Mother Singer nor is it the same company to deal with. They have terrible customer service and no local service centers. I bought a Futura and it was a piece of junk and had to ship it away. My suggestion is to get a original FW or if you purchase new save your boxes
Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM

It actually looks more like the 301 and not the FW. I'd prefer the real deal!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

If you put it into the search field you will get lots more info. We've been discussing this since it was on HSN. I think Singer Anniversary edition might work.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I am curious if anyone bought one of these new Singers - that have the vintage look - I know that Singer isn't as well made as it was years ago - but I was curious if anyone bought one and has good luck with it. I think it may be a great gift for a friend that sews occasionally but not all the time. I think its very cute and wouldn't mind having one myself as a backup machine. So would love any feedback.

Thanks,

Otis
I think it's darned cute, too, and thought I wouldn't mind having it, but I also have found Singer is no longer known for quality. I'll be watching to see if anyone has sewn with it yet.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 AM

Otis, I think you are talking about the knock off FW that is being made in China or Japan aren't you?
Not the anniversary singer!!!
I would buy a vintage FW not the knock off I have about 10 FW's and they are the best lil machines.
I don't trust the new ones at all. JMHO take it for what it is worth.

Last edited by valleyquiltermo; 04-13-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Actually, I am talking about the Annversary Singer - sorry that I got that detail wrong. I wouldn't buy a reproduction machine either - I do have a featherweight and love it. I was talking about that new Singer that looks Vintage but with very modern buttons - it is the Anniversary edition and was on HSN - just wondered if anyone has one and if they like it. I realize that Singers are what they used to be - but I was thinking that model might be a good gift for a person who does some sewing but not a lot.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM

I have been wondering about them too because they look so neat but for that kind of money, I just think how many other vintage ones I could have or a real featherweight.........