Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new/stupid question (: >

new/stupid question (:

new/stupid question (:

Old 06-03-2011, 03:49 AM

Welcome! There is no failure in quilting. It isn't the Olympics where you only get one chance, and there isn't a judge coming to berate you for points that don't match. Just try it. If you don't like it, nobody is going to make you keep going, either!

If you find out you like it you'll learn something new every day you sew. Some days will be harder than others, but at the end of the project you'll be amazed how satisfying - and beautiful - the results will be.

And stick around - no question is too small or too "beginner", someone will always be along to help. Every question you have we'll all have asked ourselves at one time or another. :)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I do suggest starting small - such as a table runner, place mat, or lap quilt. Something useful to you.

(I have trouble making pot holders - I think it's the extra thickness - so I would avoid them for a bit)

The reasons for starting small - in case you tried it and didn't like it (and strange as it may be, there may be a few that this has happened to) - you don't have a lot of money invested.

It's easier to finish something smaller and it's a lot easier to handle.

Is it "hard"? As others have said, patterns come in easy, medium, hard, difficult, and extremely challenging.

Straight lines and right angled pieces (squares and rectangles) are easier for most beginners than triangles and curves.

One can make a respectable top with only fabric, thread, needle, templates (pattern pieces), pencil and scissors.

There are some people that are "big shots" in the quilting world that hand piece. Jinny Beyer is one of them.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 AM

If you start with the right material, pattern and attitude, I think quilting is easy. It's finding the time to quilt that is hard for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 AM

I, also, find it hard to follow directions.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I do suggest starting small - such as a table runner, place mat, or lap quilt. Something useful to you.

(I have trouble making pot holders - I think it's the extra thickness - so I would avoid them for a bit)

The reasons for starting small - in case you tried it and didn't like it (and strange as it may be, there may be a few that this has happened to) - you don't have a lot of money invested.

It's easier to finish something smaller and it's a lot easier to handle.

Is it "hard"? As others have said, patterns come in easy, medium, hard, difficult, and extremely challenging.

Straight lines and right angled pieces (squares and rectangles) are easier for most beginners than triangles and curves.

One can make a respectable top with only fabric, thread, needle, templates (pattern pieces), pencil and scissors.

There are some people that are "big shots" in the quilting world that hand piece. Jinny Beyer is one of them.
Jinny Beyer hand pieces?

:shock: :shock:
Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 AM

Lisa

thanks for the link to quiltercache.com great site lots of information and patterns one could spend a day there.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:12 AM

I just started sewing at 50. Hated it before, I started embroidery first, and then I ran out of things to embroider on, so I had to try something to sew. Well I went to sewing for kids first, and you will take off. And now I am quilting, I don't do a great job, but it's mine and I love it, my husband says, when are you going to stop quilting you have enought now. I look at him as if he was an alien, I will never stop, I love it, the only thing is I am ready to know when I can let them go, they are my babies, and I can't given them away, I need to share, but it would be like giving away one of my kids. enjoy, make mistakes, laugh, cry a little and have fun, fun, fun.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 AM

Just enjoy the process of learning. And develop your own technique - something you like to do and it is easy for you. And definitely take a class in quilting - a beginners' class. Have fun!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Start with a simple pattern and it is not hard just takes a little practice to get straight lines and thisis a great place for help and encouragement!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 AM

Hi,
I do believe that anyone who wishes to be a "quilter" will find a method/technique that they would be comfortable doing. There are so many avenues that you can take - I say go for it!!! You will have a blast!!! I love the whole quilting process - it is a wonderful "sport".. Enjoy yourself.
Sue in PA