Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new topic.. other then me, who cheats?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If you consider that "cheating" then I suppose none of us should ever copy another pattern. It ain't cheatin' - it's getting things done. Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nana pat
    Would you also put down who grew the cotton, wove the fabric, spun the thread, etc..."Lovingly made by" sounds like you made it to me. Only my humble opinion.
    LOL well said!!!

i too have been buying panels from ebay mmm wondering if maybe you we out bid each other on some lol. but back on subject i like to do panels and really embellish them to make them my own i get to pick the fabric for backings and frames i use buttons,flowers and fabric paints to add those little embellishments that just make the picture POP so then i feel that it is my own.

Power Poster
    Just the fact that you give credit to "others" no matter how small the acknowledgement in my mind is not cheating.

Dee
    I wouldn't say that is cheating. Its a thread that is helpful.

OHHHhhh!!! my new favorite thing is getting half finished projects from the thrift store!

WOW! some great stuff! :D most recently I found some hand embroidered and hand pieced items :D I wish I knew the stories behind them :D

There are all kinds of ways we make things, and when its made with love who cares who did what where? :)

It would be different if you were going to make it to sell, but that is a whole other subject.

I've bought things on ebay to finish.-I feel I saved them! These quilts when finished are labeled RECLAMATION BAY #,me & date. this tells me it wasn't 100% me. regular quilts get a regular label. YEARS AGO my siter & I designed, made, & sold baby quilts signed "a J.J. ORIGINAL", because to both worked on every quilt.My sister buys on ebay (blocks)completes a top, then writes a story of how she imagines the 1st quilter intended. if you cut only10" squares & sew them, who is the designer?how 'bout block swaps? YOU BOUGHT THEM, SWAPPED THEM,ECT,YOU OWN THEM!
    If a dear friend labored over some fancy blocks & asked you to help by putting them together-- its HER top not yours.This is my thoughts on it

Blog Entries
    I wish I could cheat every now and then and find something I can't live without. But I don't shop e-bay. I really don't like the competition and the disappointment of getting outbid. I have been enjoying the trading or purchasing here on the board and will continue to find special goodies here.
    But I applaud anyone who likes to shop that way.

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    If you adopted a baby and raised it for 18 years, you would be a mother, not a cheater.

If you buy blocks made by someone else and produce a finished product with it, you are a quilter, not a cheater.

Quote Originally Posted by deranged_damsel
    OHHHhhh!!! my new favorite thing is getting half finished projects from the thrift store!

WOW! some great stuff! :D most recently I found some hand embroidered and hand pieced items :D I wish I knew the stories behind them :D
    do you want a half-finished cross stitch picture? he he!

Quote Originally Posted by bluestarmom
    There are things in quilting that I would like to be able to do, but for some reason It's just not going to happen. Well, as I hang my head in shame, I found e-bay. And I found, again head down, pre-made appliqued blocks and embroidery blocks. Now I can do a lot of the embroidery stuff, not a problem, but some of these are obviously done on a laser that is a bit more then the GO and STUDIO machines. And I bid on several various ones... bidding was not expensive and I have accumulated a nice selection of assorted pre-appliqued blocks of which I can use all of my own fabrics to build around the blocks and still make it mine without embarrassing myself. Unfortunately I can't lie, so when completing said project when I write Made with Love by .. put in a name... I was also add in very tiny letters "others". Has anyone else had help in this manner when they were wanting to whip up something that looked like it took a really long time? I have two that I am now putting together and I will post when completed. Also, the Braid is coming along delightfully and I am hoping to be able to post that when I get it pretty much together. I do want to thank everyone who offered me information, etc. on the braid. It's been quite enjoyable.

grins and affection, Blue
    I have always wanted a Bargello quilt but don't feel that my piecing skills are up to it. However, I am quite good at hand quilting. So I bought a bargello top off of Ebay and added a border to it...then handquilted it. I did say on the label that the top was bought on Ebay.

Here is the finished quilt...

label
    Name:  Attachment-113042.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  37.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think you are cheating. You are using what is available to make something you like.
    Love to see finished quilt.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    There is no shame in adding to your creativity. If pre-made stuff works for you, go for it!
    I so agree with this statement, you are doing all the work, not that sitting at a embroidrey machine is not work, because it is, and some designs take forever to complete, with all the color changes and ect.. but if I made the design and you quilted it, I would not have a problem with you saying you made the quilt, because that is what you did. God bless. Penny

Quote Originally Posted by sewmom

I LOVE cross stitch ;)

I LOVE cross stitch ;)
    I'm serious-would you like it, cuz i"m probably going to pitch it. when i get home, I'll post a picture of it and send it to you. if you truly want it, i'll send it to you and the pattern to.

I LOVE cross stitch ;)
    I'm serious-would you like it, cuz i"m probably going to pitch it. when i get home, I'll post a picture of it and send it to you. if you truly want it, i'll send it to you and the pattern to.
    yes I would like it!
    no need for picture, i will pm you my address

thank you!

It sounds to me like it was made by you!!! You are, after all, the one who pieced it together! You don't acknowledge everyone who had a hand in the making of the fabric and all that.....it is made by you.....

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
    If you adopted a baby and raised it for 18 years, you would be a mother, not a cheater.

If you buy blocks made by someone else and produce a finished product with it, you are a quilter, not a cheater.
    Very well said!

Blog Entries
    Now that quilt top is definitely worth cheating for.

There are very extensive quanties of "Buy it Now".. and not all prices are overly out of a poor persons fabric budget. Let's face it, if I buy one less package of Chicken thighs I could buy a lovely package of pre-made blocks that would be a type of which I really wouldn't want to put in the time or energy... Of course that does interfere with dinner time on occasion, but I do vaguely remember that famious comment about "let them eat cake".. and if you toss a vegable in with it, heck there's dinner and the stack of pre-made blocks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2