Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Newbie To The Board Wanting To Know If Anyone Has Ever Had A "Day?"

Blog Entries
    Yesterday, our whole group had a "day". Seems like we just couldn't anything without a problem. We were attempting to make a birthday banner for one of the group. Didn't get as far as we should, but did make some headway.

Sounds like me last night. Needed to make a pair of pillow cases for a wedding gift for today. A friend came over to sew too but she is less experienced than I am and I am pretty rusty. After helping DF (dear friend) who was cut happy. I finally started on my project. Had to change the serger thread. An hour later, the ding dang serger would not sew correctly. Move on to the Bernina 730. Part way through pillow case one the bobbin case fell apart. Move on to the Janome...that one was a bit wonky too. Almost had to go to the ancient Viking but I finally got both of them done.

Hi Barbara, I have read thru your messages and replies and so far no one has addressed you sewing machine eating your fabric when you start to stitch. I use what my old teacher used to call "Tabby's". I take about a half inch of fabric scrap and fold it over once to make a rectangle and I sew they that and then I start my stitching. When I am done with that piece or the chain sewing I stitch onto another one, and then clip the first one off. I usually have a small stack of these "Tabby's" waiting to be grabbed. You need a few because your always losing them. HaaHaa! Hope this helps! As for bobbins, I usually wind about 5-6 depending on the size of the project, so I don't have to stop and wind bobbins all the time. I tend to use a medium gray or taupe, or white or black thread, rather than try to match all the colors. When it is sewn you won't notice that it doesn't match. Of course if I am quilting it is different. Jan

Indeed - we've all had them! Just a suggestion - get a single hole needle plate for your machine. It makes SUCH a difference in the mahine not eating you fabric at the beginning. And when you open your spool of thread, mark the notch with a sharpie and you'll know which side of the spool to put AWAY from how it feeds. Good luck - keep with it!

I have a similar old reliable Singer---and several newer, less reliable machines----so I understand. I had a day recently where EVERYTHING I needed for any project I tried to work on simply refused to be found....and I'm not THAT disorganized! Rotary cutter, black thread, hand sewing needles, you name it---I couldn't find it. I finally gave up and read a book instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Ziva
    I am with you. I bought a quilt kit this past weekend and ended up cutting one piece of fabric too short. I was tired and should have stopped. What a mess!
    I have learned the hard way several times.....never, never, NEVER cut fabric when tired!!!!! That is, unless you have plenty of fabric for the mistakes you are bound to make!

Wow - Open windows - it was below zero this morning. Rain - couple inches of snow tomorrow. Birds chirping - give it another month!! I hope this helps you feel better. I'm sure tomorrow will be smoother for you/warmer for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Antman
    Good Morning!
    Just to let everyone know how much I love reading on the comments and suggestions that are posted here. Hoping I don't depress anyone but needing to know....has anyone ever had a day that just goes so far downhill that you either laugh or cry?
    Well, here it is, beautiful moring, good needed rain last night, birds chirping, and sun shining. Oh happy day! Cleaned house in the a.m. so not feeling guilty about spending the rest of the day in the not so neat sewing room. No radio, no T.V. just peace and quiet, with a mild breeze coming through the windows...Sweet!
    Well, sit down to sew up a very easy square for a quilt, right? First thing the machine eats the corner! Fabric stuck way down in the feed dog. Okay, Iwill fix that later, just want to sew! Try another machine, great, going fast and strong to the end when I realize it only sewed about an inch until the bobbin thread was empty. Now I'm losing patience, just one seam please?
    Back to the drawing board again. Why not just change thread color and make some topstitching stand out? Automatic threading cartridge my foot!!! And can I ask why, oh why can we launce men into space, but can't get rid of that stupid notch in a spool of thread? You know the one where the thread always gets hung up on? Yes, that was another of today's mishaps!!
    Onward to the "old" machine. Trustworthy, nothing fancy but reliable. Now I'm anxious and will feel much better if I can only get one seam complete, but this old Singer of mine just doesn't quit so all will be okay, until I finish my one stinkin seam only to find out The back got folded up and has to be ripped out! Operator error---need a nap try again tomorrow! :)

your machines could have a bad case of PMS (PRE MESSED STICHES) just walk away very quielty...nap, eat chocolate, but stay away from the machines until it passes lol

Hi! Welcome from Maryland, the state where every day threatens to be that day!! Or maybe there's a rip in the space/time continuum right over my sewing machine, I dunno. Either way, it's a chocolate, bubble bath and bottle of wine day, too, so all is not lost!

Remember: If you can't see the silver lining it just means you haven't reached the bottom of the glass.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to our world. I hope your next sewing day will be better.

P.S. Never feel guilty about leaving the housework to quilt. It's always there when you get back.

Thank So Much Ladies!
    I took everyone's advice, just to be sure and wow, the day got much better!!
    Went shopping, (no police) ate chocolate, drank wine, read a book. Last thing I remember, the Singer was singing again, and I have made up with my Brother (machine)
    Going to dig in again tomorrow and get lots of quilting done :)
    Thanks Again, Barb

Blog Entries
    oh, yes, yesterday was my day. I was supposed to get to sew all day, did not happen. someone was in need of a driver to go to the heart doctor and called me. I could not say no, might need help myself someday.when we were half way there I got a call from my DIL that her mom had been rushed to the hospital by ambulance, could I pick the Children up when school was out. I fought tears over Nanny, but continued on my trip. My friend did great at the doctors office, We got home and 3 minutes later my friend called, she had a blow out 4 blocks from my house, I went to help her, picked up the boys, Nanny got to come home, thank You Lord, and my nerves were frazzeled. I did not sew one stitch.

Oh YES! The sad part is that it ;happens quite often, but all works out!

Yes, but what a special person you are. Just think of the blessings of the day

Yes, but what a special person you are. Just think of the blessings of the day

There are days and even a whole week that is like this. It just makes me want to scream or hit something. But I just remember all the days where nothing goes wrong and I manage to get several things accomplished. I am like you, when everything goes wrong, leave it and take a nap or read a book or go shopping. Have a great day and a better tomorrow. Jeanniebelle

I agree chocolate will help.

Welcome and we all have them darn days. Reading yours gave me a smile and realized everyone is human. Have some great quilting days!

Yes, then I spend the rest of the time on this board and I feel better anyway.

We all have days like that but I really get bummed when I have "weeks" like that!I'm determined and stick with it and just drink lots more espressos.

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard!

Blog Entries
    The good news is that the good days outnumber the bad.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    That's why I don't do housework. It ruins everything. lol

Yeah, some days good old Murphy is having a field day and as you know from his law: What can go wrong will go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Hello and nice to meet you. About the notch in the spool? Don't buy that brand of thread anymore. Not worth the frustration so why pay money to have it happen again.
    When I use a notched spool (and I thought they all were), I take care when I am threading my machine to put the notched end of the spool on the spool holder first so that as the thread unwinds it is flowing away from that end, never ever to get tangled in it as I am sewing away.
    Welcome to the board, hope your bad days are few and far between!
    Hugs and smilessssss

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Hello and nice to meet you. About the notch in the spool? Don't buy that brand of thread anymore. Not worth the frustration so why pay money to have it happen again.
    When I use a notched spool (and I thought they all were), I take care when I am threading my machine to put the notched end of the spool on the spool holder first so that as the thread unwinds it is flowing away from that end, never ever to get tangled in it as I am sewing away.
    Welcome to the board, hope your bad days are few and far between!
    Hugs and smilessssss
    She has reminded me of something I do that I have never seen mentioned. I could be wrong. Nana taught me to keep an emory board in my sewing tools. When I buy new thread, I run my fingers around both ends, and file off any snags, just like a finger nail. It still holds the thread closed, but won't catch it while sewing. I hope this is helpful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast