Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare Before Christmas

Nightmare Before Christmas

OK Guys, so now I'm officially panicking!

I've been working madly this week trying to finish a quilt in time for christmas. It's a signature quilt from my DD's recent wedding. Each hexagon was signed by a guest with a message for the happy couple.

I got the last of it completed this morning, and popped it into the washing machine, along with several colour catchers. It had to be a cool wash because I've included some home-printed fabric.

Needless to say, one of the fabric pens has bled colour. The pens were proper fabric pens, tested in advance, and I followed the instructions properly.

So it's been back in the sink for another wash, and rubbing the stain with a colour catcher has removed a good bit of the bleed, and its now back in the machine for another rinse. Synthropol, which I've read about regularly here, is a product I've never seen on sale here in Scotland.

So guys, any other suggestions? (I've plenty of chocolate cos I've already done my christmas shopping!)

Before: DD is into dinosaurs in a big way

Name:  2_before.jpg
Views: 3806
Size:  179.5 KB

after: this is the only segment which it truly bad

Name:  3_after.jpg
Views: 3846
Size:  186.9 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3776
Size:  176.8 KB

Cheers, Kate

Blog Entries
    The one patch doesn't look terrible. The quilt itself looks fabulous! Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. In my opinion, it is simply part of the charm of the quilt. (Plus the bleeds will probably eventually fade away with every washing the quilt gets in actual use.)

Blog Entries
    I agree with Prism99. if this is the only issue, I'd call it a design feature. The dinosaur just has a purple aura!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I agree with Prism99. It should fade away with more washing.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Your quilt is gorgeous! The dinosaur looks like he is surrounded with a lovely lavender glow. As Prism99 said, it will probably fade with time. I'd use a Color Catcher each time it is washed.

Blog Entries
    Purple aura. LOVE IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
    Your quilt is gorgeous! The dinosaur looks like he is surrounded with a lovely lavender glow. As Prism99 said, it will probably fade with time. I'd use a Color Catcher each time it is washed.
    I agree. The dinosaurs are cute!

When I saw it, I thought the same thing as the rest of the folks. Almost looks planned. Just make sure she has a color catcher when she washes it again so it doesn't go anywhere else. It does look great!

Well, I'm pleased to report that a second wash has taken out about 80% of the bleed, and it looks much better for it . If it continues to fade with further washing then I think I'll get away with it lol.

Thank you all for your compliments on the quilt .

This is the most labour-intensive quilt I've made to date, and the most personal. The coral colour was the colour of the bridesmaids' dresses, the green was mine, and the blue was the mother of the groom's dress color. Some of the bride's dress is included on the back. I'd have been gutted if it was ruined by the ink running....

The strange creature printed in the corners is an amalgamation of a dinosaur and an octopus (groom's favourite creature), and it's an original drawing done by one of their friends specially for the wedding (which took place in Edinburgh Zoo!)

Cheers, K

I love you quilt. Wod you be willing to share the name of the pattern?

Blog Entries
    I thought it was a purple shadow! I love the "mistake"!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
    I love you quilt. Wod you be willing to share the name of the pattern?
    I'd love to know also. I really like the design. That was really clever, incorporating the colors from all the wedding participants dresses! What a great keepsake!
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    I love the helo affect around the dinosaur. Just think of this instead of a bleed. A wonderful design feature not easy to do.
    Finished is better than a UFO

You could try a Pro Marker blender pen, pro markers are alcohol ink pens for crafting and there is a blender pen which you can use to blend out the colour or remove colour if you go outside the lines, defo get them in Scotland, if you near a hobbycraft, or any paper crafting shop. I think it still looks beautiful, adds to the originality x

"Purple aura" yeah, that sounds good. You meant to do it that way. Stick with that. Seriously, it really is a cute quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
    The strange creature printed in the corners is an amalgamation of a dinosaur and an octopus (groom's favourite creature), and it's an original drawing done by one of their friends specially for the wedding (which took place in Edinburgh Zoo!)
    Cheers, K
    Ah, a dinoctopus!!! Wonderful mythical creature........

Like the rest, it looks fine - you're the only one that will notice. Lovely quilt - no pandas?
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Notmorecraft, I'll definitely look out for that pen. We have 2 hobby crafts in a 40 mile radius so do get to one or the other every so often. Thanks for the suggestion .

We weren't allowed near the pandas on the day. At the time they thought she might be expecting, so they were off limits! There was even a no-fly-zone over the zoo for the tourist helicopters in case it upset her lol.

The pattern for my quilt was inspired by this:
    http://tamarackshack.blogspot.co.uk/...spy-quilt.html

Once I'd worked out the repeating unit I drew up this:
    Name:  hexi pattern.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  58.4 KB
    I was pleased to see it would lend itself to paper piecing, especially with all the bias edges involved. I used a couple of packs of Moda pre-cut hexagons. I did think I could cut some corners by strip-piecing the colours, but I think that actually made assembly more difficult later - if I got any strip misaligned even by a fraction, it made matching units awkward - that's when I was glad of the bias lol.

The outer border is a friendship braid.

Now that it's properly dry, the halo is much less obvious, so I've stopped panicking about it now lol.

Thank you all for your support!

cheers, K

I agree with Prisma, use it as a design element! Shade a little darker unde the Dino's feet and blend all the other colors outward and then use a textile meduim and heat set! I had to do that with a recent project and the truth is that I like it better after coloring the images. It allowed me to brighted the important colors and mute the unimportant ones. Good Luck.

that quilt is lovely, good to see the bleed is fading I am sure they will love it.

What a lovely quilt! I'm sure it will be treasured forever.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful! What a special treasure for the couple. You did great!!
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I saw somewhere hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball would help bleach it out. It's a gorgeous quilt. The bleed does look like the dino has an aura about him!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I saw somewhere hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball would help bleach it out. It's a gorgeous quilt. The bleed does look like the dino has an aura about him!
    After reading the update about Leah Day's quilt, I will never use hydrogen peroxide on a quilt again! (Not that my work is anything like Leah Day's........)
    http://www.leahday.com/quilttheduchess/

Blog Entries
    I had DSIL who has no quilt knowledge or experience, and I showed him just the second picture, and he said "How did they get the cool effect?" So I would just let it stand.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast