Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No more mystery bundles. Nope no more! >

No more mystery bundles. Nope no more!

No more mystery bundles. Nope no more!

Old 12-19-2020, 10:56 AM

I too ordered the Kaffe Fassett bundle and it's the ugliest bunch of FQ's! Wish I would have thought to mail them back, oh well...lesson learned.

Cheese
Old 12-19-2020, 11:16 AM

I don't care for Mystery bags, and I don't like the Christmas ornament exchanges either. Way too many times I would end up with broken or plastic one from the dollar store. I couldn't believe some people would buy the seconds and give those. Even in fabric exchanges, you have to smile like it's wonderful and you really want to ask the person what they were thinking. And it's not due to lack of money, they are just cheap. One year someone actually put their McDonald's trash in a gift bag for one of the White Elephant gift exchanges and thought it was hilarious. At 66 I don't need anything else that I don't like cluttering up the house.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:29 AM

I bought a batik fat quarter mystery once, thinking that if there were browns/neutrals in there it would be OK as I don't buy those and it would be good to round out my stash.
That's exactly what happened. Lots of jewel tones and a few browns/sand FQ's. Actually quite happy with it. Not sure I'd do it again though, as now I've got lots of batiks to use up and I don't do pre-cuts as a rule.

Watson
Old 12-20-2020, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I have bought the mystery bundles from top name online shops before and I haven't been disappointed. I have used them all in my hexie making, small projects, etc. There were some I wouldn't have bought yardage of at all but worked fine making blending hexies. Some were used in string piecing blocks. Once a year Keepsake Quilting use to sell a 100 piece fat quarter box no repeats for $99. I loved that box. All from the fabric sold in the shop from that year.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:46 PM

No mystery bundles here... rather pick my own fabric...that is half the fun in quilting..
Old 12-20-2020, 05:36 PM

I've never ordered a mystery bundle, but may I suggest that if you don't like the fabrics for a quilt, perhaps you can use them for another project that uses small scraps such as a "sulky" scarf, or place mats.There's always a use for a fabric, no matter how ugly, I say.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:50 PM

I bought mystery bundles twice _ both times from Blueprint before the reorganization. Initially I *was* disappointed. But I started a new quilt yesterday (bear paws in brown and burgundy) and wouldn't you know some of the FQ came from those bundles! I think you have to be willing to let it ...sit.. and your brain relax and open to possibility.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:31 AM

I bought two from Green Fairy quilts - in the summer I think. both were 4 fatquarters that went together tied with a ribbon. I used one in a gift to a quilty friend and kept one. These were little fat quarter mystery bundles on sale. I would buy from the shop again. At guild years ago in a brown bag auction I got a horrible scrap bag of a few tiny pieces that I couldn't make use of.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:26 AM

I ordered a "Red Bundle" from a nation-wide company probably 4 years ago... What a clunker! The fabric quality was nice but the actual prints were not really usable in the Red and White quilt I had planned on. One FQ was printed 1.5 inch squares of Coca Cola brand logos. One was red background with rather large and ugly yellow chickens. I only remembered this because I had to move some boxes around last weekend and opened up a storage bin and both of these were looking me square in the eye when I lifted the lid! I know Bonnie Hunter says that you should keep cutting a fabric smaller until it isn't ugly anymore.... but those logos and the chickens are too big and the fabric would never "read" as red, no matter what I do. No more Mystery Bundles for me!
Old 12-23-2020, 12:19 PM

I have bought 3 floral scrap packs and one Christmas/Winter Holidays scrap pack. And all were pretty colors , nice prints and good quality fabrics. And lots of variety to spice up my small stash.