Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No need for JoAnns anymore.

I'm not tempted when I stay home. All I need to do is look in my closet, my dresser, my files and supply drawers to be reminded.
    Down to one trip a month to buy a particular item I might need. That's a whole lot less shopping than I used to do!
    As I'm not in the market for a bigger house, what I have is mostly enough for at least 5 years. Then, I'll reconsider more frequent trips as needed.
    Being more frugal is such a relief to my monthly budget : )

Too funny and too true for a lot of us. And when I opened this page, there was a JoAnn's coupon in the ad spot...lol
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....

I can surely relate to that. Is it contagious?

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    Haven't been to JoAnn's in over a month, since I had knee replacement. My husband said that he can't believe JoAnn's hasn't called looking for me since I was usually there at least twice a week. I told him, "Think of all the money I've saved this month." I'm venturing out tomorrow for the dentist and JoAnn's is at the top of my list.

That explains the big sign at JoAnn's---"Has anybody seen Kathleen???". lol

I'm glad your are healing and getting out and about. See you at sewing club.

Norma

I had a really good friend who was the manager of a JoAnn's and she and I were in competition with each other...she called my "studio", JoAnn's Basement. Then she would brag about how many brown bags of fabric and notions she gave to friends from her stash when they would visit. Loved it! For the last 3 months I've been shopping from my "basement", and have found everything I need! I'm saving for a trip so am very happy with myself that I "stashed" when I did. Especially with today's economy.

Power Poster
    Enjoyed reading your story.

I know the feeling. I just go up to my building and "buy" all sorts of things that I forgot I had. I sure do save alot of money shopping from myself!

love your sense of humor!

The cart gets too heavy to push around....... and I just went in for a couple of things!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    That's what happens when I go to the grocery store - - - -
    :-)
    CAS

I am so happy when I can shop my stash! I don't have to fight the traffic when I go to my store!

I have also been shopping from home, unless needing something specific, and then I only buy that, even though it's very tempting.

I just went through my box that I have rulers stored in, I found things I forgot I had also. Also found some patterns and pre-printed HST sheets, 2 pkgs.

Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    I know the feeling!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    That's what happens when I go to the grocery store - - - -
    That is why I try to NOT shop at all....unless I have a plan in mind - need new sandals, capris, tennis shoes, etc. I have been practicing "I don't need that" - and if it is not on sale - don't buy it! LOL...

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    No joannes for me.... Which is good cause I'm a late night Quilter ..

But Hubby is starting to think I'm a hoarder...so far I have been able to keep him at bay by showing him the quilts I actually have been makin.... Rofl...

Think thats called stash busting. Its sad that the fabric business has devolved down to where there are only a few shops and NO competitive pricing. The latest price hike at Jo Anns is opportunity for JoAnns and I have been shopping at our newly expanded Walmart fabric dept. same fabrics in many cases and the REGULAR price without a sale coupon is usually within pennies of JoAnns, so why wait for a 50% coupon?
    pat design

Blog Entries
    your stash posting brought a smile to my face. I got such a neat deal for my dolls for sick kids yesterday, and despite a 2 hour trip home afterward, remained a happy camper.

Vickey S.

Blog Entries
    I do love to shop my own stash first. I find that there is much about my stash that I have somehow forgotten was there--I have a whole lot of fun making things I already have work for me.

I have been shopping in my own stash for over a year.....it is still out of control! I could go for another couple of years and still not visit JoAnn's except for an occasitional piece of Kona for background.

One warning about shopping in your stash...Be very sure that you hadn't planned to use that piece of fabric in another project that is already half done, but not all cut out.
    Finished a quickie project all done from my stash and then went back to a project I had put aside about a year ago. And guess what...I needed 1/2 yd more of the aqua than I had left from using it in the quickie project...and I didn't find any when I went to the store, so I had to substitute. It did look ok with the new fabric on part of it, so that's good.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

In the past few months I have pulled a king, 2 queens and a twin out of my stash, and I can't see a difference in the drawers or cabinets. The only thing I have boughten was some thread, found some tan on clearance for a $1, and some background fabric. I will be pulling out a few more in the coming months.
    I have to make room so I can buy new fabric! That is the carrot I am dangling in front of myself.

Glad to see I'm not the only one "stash shopping"! After I moved into my shed some months ago, I ruler-folded all my fabric. Boy, did that ever make a difference! I don't have the huge stash some of you have, but I've made 3 or 4 quilts almost entirely from my own fabric. I did buy a backing for one of them. Our JoAnn's is moving next month to the old Circuit City building in the new mall in Sherman, TX. They aren't taking any coupons or checks and a lot of their shelves are just about empty. I went in to buy a piece of foam to make a new mattress for a playpen and they had sold out of the foam! When I do need things, I find myself buying more and more online. I really prefer to buy fabric at JoAnn or Hobby Lobby so I can "touch and feel", but other things I have trouble finding. I have an embroidery machine and nobody in this area sells embroidery supplies or long arm supplies.

You all are funny!! But I'm just as funny and crazy as you all are for fabric. I almost have a JoAnn's store too, only when I start looking through patterns and seeing quilts on this site, guess where I go? Yep!! JoAnn's and many other fabric stores too. Happy Quilting everyone.
    will quilt 4EVER

I was doing pretty good until I visited my BFF in NM. HAD to stop and see Miss Viv at Southwest Decorative's-and wouldn't you know it-there was a SALE going on. Imagine that!! Shop owner's birthday sale, with cake and cookies and people and just so much fabric. I had to ship some of the fabric home as I overloaded my suit case.

My DH wouldn't let me leave our clothes behind. He just doesn't understand at all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2