Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No Power = No Sewing

Blog Entries

No Power = No Sewing

A severe storm knocked out our power last night, around 5:30pm. As of 7:30 am, we're still without. I'm using the battery on my laptop. So, I guess if we're without power I'm going to have to practice my hand quilting.

I'm also going to start frog stitching the binding on a small quilt I did yesterday. The binding has to be redone. I've gotten some great ideas here to improve it.
    Dorian

If you've met one child with Autism, you've met ONE child with Autism.

Oh, there is nothing more stressful than a power outage. Sure hope you get it back soon. Good luck with the hand work.

I'm keeping all those in prayers who are without power in these terrible high temps.

Power Poster
    And to think people have lived for eons without electricity!

Power Poster
    I hate that!!! Have they given you any time for getting it back up? If it's going to be few days then you might want to empty your freezer to a family member with power. You can go about 24 hours I think,if you don't open it? I've only had to do that once but it was a pain. Luckily my sister had room for my meat in her large freezer until our power came back on. You can get a generator but that needs to be located outdoors so the carbon monoxide exhaust doesn't get into the house. I hope you have power soon in this heat wave.

One of my least favorite times when the hydro goes out. Now I pull out handwork to do when that happens, although at night by candle light it does not work too good. We rely so much on the power being on and you do not know just how much until it is not on.

Blog Entries
    Treadle machine and one should stock up on those solar walk lights, work great in the house for power outage and recharge during the day. Work in candle sconces too if they are slim enough and get some of those rubber things that go on bottom of candle cups to put on them to make em fit candle wall scounces. Rain barrels next to house under eves with screens on them for flushing water. Grill food. Keep water stashed in basement for cooking. Gallons and the cases of bottles.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

I borrowed my husband's camping headlamp the last time our power was out. It is a great light for handwork and for reading. I requested my own the next Christmas.

I'm used the treadle last night just for fun. I'm planning to piece a king size quilt just with it.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I'm used the treadle last night just for fun. I'm planning to piece a king size quilt just with it.
    Lucky you. I would love a treadle. That would be great to be able to sew without power.

Blog Entries
    This is one of the reasons I wanted a treadle. A couple of winters ago I spent several days without power, and the only heat came from my gas log fireplace. THe fireplace and outside grill were lifesavers.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Woo hooo, an adventure! Break out the treadle, cook over the fire, play Scrabble by candle light!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Woo hooo, an adventure! Break out the treadle, cook over the fire, play Scrabble by candle light!
    My 11 yo and I played Uno while it was getting dark. We really had to concentrate on the colors. Right now we're running on generator power, just not enough to power my sewing machine.
    Dorian

Our power is out too! Since 5:30 yesterday evening! State of emergency declared, so not sure when We'll be back on - have searched for a 1.5 hr radius trying to find a generator to purchase but everyone is sold out! Just restocked our deep freeze a few weeks ago. So I'm feelin your pain momma Dorian!

I have a few treadle machines. I mostly do all my piecing with my favorite. When the hurricane came through Houston we were without power for weeks. Yes we have a generator but I used that for AC window unit in bedroom for DH, freezers, and fridges and water well. May I suggest a Singer treadle as the bobbins are the same as now and doesn't need rare needles either.

When we went to Kenya in January, they were all using treadle machines. That way they could sew with or without power. I guess they have rather unstable power. (I'm talking about the small shops where they make clothes for sale.)

No AC? It's been over 104 here all week! My lawn is dried and brown. My neighbor waters his lawn and boy was his wife upset when she found out we will get our lawn re sodded much cheaper then what he will pay for water all summer. LOL.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    We got the storm of the century last night, quick, but violent wind, and now our power is out too. On the farm we have no water, either, because the pump uses electricity. It's been 17 hours now, and the temps are 101 degrees! I bailed and went to my Mother's. We've been told it'll be days before it's back on. Looks like hand sewing for me.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    No AC? It's been over 104 here all week! My lawn is dried and brown. My neighbor waters his lawn and boy was his wife upset when she found out we will get our lawn re sodded much cheaper then what he will pay for water all summer. LOL.
    Don't you just hate when you find a cheaper way of doing something after the fact? lol Our power is finally back on, 18 hours later and it's 94 degrees. I can finally get my sewing machine going and get cooler at the same time. Life is sew good!!!
    Dorian

Blog Entries
    Get a butane light for the next outage and sew by hand. It is very relaxing and rewarding.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by OCquilter View Post
    I borrowed my husband's camping headlamp the last time our power was out. It is a great light for handwork and for reading. I requested my own the next Christmas.
    I have one of those that dh gave me a couple of years ago. It is the best for getting light right where it belongs.

I can't sew since my foot pedal became possessed last week (It decided to work when I was ironing across the room) and the shop is waiting for the replacement. I have been cleaning the room and doing other hand work. I would love to hand quilt but it is 96 here.

We have power here but we need to boil all water since a major water main broke yesterday. They have no idea how long we will have to boil water.

I hope everyone gets power soon

Hope you have your electricty back by now.

A great time to cut out pieces.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I was in a LQS the other day looking for a bobbin case for a 70+ yr sewing machine. Needless to say they were discontinued 30 yrs ago, needles were too, but I saw a NEW Janone machine in a NEW treadle table!! Could have knocked me over with a feather!! LOL

Wellll, I talked my dear hubby into converting a Coffin Singer 99 into a hand crank for me "just in case" and we had the same issue last night here in Ohio. Soooo, I got out the hand crank, a nice LED flashlight and not even 82 mph winds could keep me from quilting. I got the machine on ebay for a little over $100.00 including shipping and bought the hand crank parts from Jenny at Sew-Classic. It didn't take him an hour to convert that little baby over to "no electricity needed" and her name is Penny because she came from Pennsylvania.
    Busy in Ohio

I hav a handcrank Singer 99 that I just love. Quite relaxing to use. I thought it would be hard to keep the fabric lined up with one hand, but it is very easy. I take it with me on long camping trips.

Pam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast