Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Non-Aerosol Spray Starch

Thanks for all the hints, will look at Walmart for the starch and maybe try to make some using the recipe.

I don't use the store bought spray starch, I get the concentrate bottle for under $5, dilute it 50/50, put it in a spray bottle and it lasts a long time.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I love MaryEllen's - found it on Amazon in gallon jugs - much more reasonable than the quilt store prices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by machinequilter
    I was wondering if any of you use either Mary Ellen's Best Press or Niagra Non-Aerosol Spray Starch. I have read reviews on both. Many say they are equal but Niagra is a lot cheaper. I was using Faultless Aerosol Spray but they have changed the top design and I have been having trouble with rust collecting in the top around the spray valve resulting in rust being blown onto my fabric. I really would like to hear what you use and your suggestions.
    My MIL has always made her own starch, before being diagnoised with Alz she came over in the fall and in the spring and collected all the doillies that she had crocheted for me and took them home to wash and starch and stretch them for me. She taught my husband to make the starch and it is all he has ever used and he irons and starches almost all of his clothes (you notice I said he straches).

I just looked at Amazon. If you buy the gallon you pay 36.70 cents per ounce and the 16 oz is 81 cents per ounce Now I included the shipping in the price per ounce. Yep I am one of Those people lol. As nice as it is, I have a bottle and save it for ironing clothes which is once in a blue moon. But I think for quilting fabric I will stick to my starch. I haven't figured out the price per ounce but I would guess its just a penny or two. I am cheap!!!

Blog Entries
    BestPrest is the B E S T!

Blog Entries
    Sorry. I should have spelled that Best Pressed, not Best Prest. I LOVE the lavender the most.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I wish they would make the Niagra Non-Aerosol in an unscented. I have the Linen and it gets a bit sickening to me after awhile. I'm going to take a stab at making my own. Kroger only had two scents- Linen and Lavender.
    Oh no, I'm the complainer in the bunch!! :twisted:

Blog Entries
    It is strong but it also does work well if you dilute it a bit and then the scent isn't as intense.

I read that starch will draw bugs if left in fabric for a long time and they recommended Spray Sizing - switched awhile ago and I like it better (or as well as) Spray Starch.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I think Amazon has free shipping for items over $25.00?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    When I was a kid, Mom made starch -

I think it was Argo - blue and white box - put some in the "bread bowl" - added some cold water to dissolve it - then added hot water - it changed from cloudy to "not cloudy" - and then stirred in a little rectangle of some blue stuff (Satina, I think)

Then she'd dip the whole garment to be starched in the solution and then wring it out by hand. The stuff to be stiffest was done first, and then what needed only a little body was done last.

I do not miss all that ironing!
    Oh my goodness!!!! You must be very near MY age!! What memories you brought back talking about your Mom making her own starch..and the Satina!! wow, I remember watching it dissolve!! I was in charge of household linen pressing, plus my own clothes, from the time I was 8 or so. I loved sprinkling clothes, rolling them tight, putting them in a bag and into the fridge! I am smiling while I type and have flashbacks! Maybe I am "sick", but I love to iron, still.

I only use Mary Ellen's Best Press. Our Hancock's honors Hobby Lobby's and Jo Ann's 40% - 50% off coupons. I stock up when I have a coupon. Just buy 1 each day with a different coupon. And they put it on sale every so often.

It is great!!!

Blog Entries
    Starch drawing bugs is something I've heard only in the last years from quilters. My grandmother and mother starched and ironed every thing, we never had a bug problem. Starched linens stored in the big chests never had bugs. I can't find the non aerosol Niagara starch local, just the spray cans. I like Niagara, it doesn't flake at all.

Blog Entries
    I found the non aerosol Niagara at Target and Meijers in Michigan.

I have never seen the Spray Sizing in a non aerosol.

I use the Niagara all the time. I haven't had any problems with it and no flakes.

Try Niagara spray starch 50% diluted with water. In another bottle pour off 1/2 of niagra and add water. It works great on my fabric. My Aunt showed me that trick.

There should be a recipe I posted to make your own spray starch. Search the archives for spray starch. That's all I use any more.

Where do you buy lavender essential oil?

I've used the Sta-Flo liquid starch for years, it last a really long time. It's concentrated so you mix it with water to determine the stiffness you like. My teenage children don't believe in ironing since they discovered Wrinkle Release. I can't remember to cost because but I know it's not expensive. I made a lot of the denim and flannel rag quilts. This is excellent for ironing jeans.

I use the starch that comes in a bottle. It can be mixed with water to make any strength you require. It doesn't clog the spray bottle the way so many aerosols do. Really cheap too.

I cannot seem to control where my starch lands when I use spray starch; I am sick & tired of "starching" my floor & furniture. My latest experiment was to mix Sta-Flo liquid starch & water (as per usage instructions on starch bottle) in a small plastic tub and soak my fabric thoroughly in it, hang it on the outside clothesline, and then iron it when it's dry. There are washer/dryer use instructions on the bottle as well, but I don't want the starch in my expensive appliances either. It's probably harmless to my washer/dryer but I don't need to find out for sure.

All I use is stay flo and I have no problem with bugs or my appliances. One of my girlfriends just got those new high efficiency washer and dryers that are real snazzy and you can only use a certain type of detergent on them. She throws starched pieces in them all the time.

I mix mine 50% and spray the dickens out of my fabric, toss it in the dryer and press it. I put starch on almost every piece of fabric as I use it. Sizing isn't stiff enough for me and my corners match and my triangle points are better. I think it helps a lot with my cutting and piecing accuracy.

Blog Entries
    Does this gunk up your Iron? I had trouble with the Sta-Flo diluted. It messed up the bottom of my iron and had to clean it alot. Mary Ellens does do that.

I already cleaned my iron a lot. I have an iron I use for piecing and an iron I use for my work stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast