Not all rulers are the same .

Not all rulers are the same .

Old 03-12-2014, 02:09 AM

Default Not all rulers are the same .

Yesterday while doing a clean up in my sewing room ....I picked
up one of my rulers and put it against another and was amazed to see
the 1" marks did not line up , took out another and tried that .. same thing
didn't line up , took out all rulers shapes and put one against the other I was
shocked to see the difference in the measurements , it would make a it difficult
lining things up you used two or three rulers in a project .
Anyone else have this problem ? Cathy
Old 03-12-2014, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

that must be one of the reasons we are always told to use the same ruler & cutting mat through out a project- although I must say- I have numerous rulers that do 'measure' correctly- lines may not be all the same- one has 1/8" marks, other 1/4" marks, a couple have different angles marked- but inch by inch (& 1/2") do line up- except the one that has been used so much the edges are about worn off & really needs to be replaced. but I've seen many, many tutorials that state to always use the same ruler through out a project- to avoid any discrepancy.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you should always use the same ruler for an entire project. If you can't, try and at least use the same brand.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 AM

Why is that? It never occurred to me to check this, I thought that 1 inch is 1 inch- guess I was wrong. I have used different rulers on many occasions, maybe that is why I have had some problems. I am going to check my rulers from now on.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:45 AM

I, too, have been advised to always use the same ruler throughout a project and advise that myself. While I've not checked mine ruler to ruler, I would not be surprised at any discrepancies. I have a small, 6x3.5 ruler that I really like for trimming small pieces. It is a brand not of any others that I had. Recently bought the same manufacturer's 6x24 for that very reason. Doesn't have 1/8" marks though but since I rarely use them, decided it wasn't a major factor. And except for very large cuts, don't measure using my mat. If I do have a large enough cut that I need to measure with the mat, I usually cut about 1/4" larger and trim up the smaller sub cuts.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 AM

What happened to 1 inch is 1 inch.....standard measurements.....
Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 AM

Maybe this is why some of my blocks finish out at different sizes. I need to check this out in my room today. Thanks for the hint.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 AM

I did that years ago and every brand I had lined up with the rest, an inch IS an inch.
Where our 'why is the block off" problems come in is the line itself on the ruler.
If you normally cut right on the line with a yellow olpfa (?sp) and then cut some more with a ruler with thinner lines the seam allowance can get off a thread or two also.
I figured out with the Easy Angle rulers Bonnie Hunter recommends, I need to cut those with one thread visible on the left.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

I had the same experience. I was using an Olfa square-up ruler for years and had several nicks in it. When I replaced it I bought a Creative Grids. I was in the middle of a quilt and my blocks were not the same measurement. I checked the rulers and they didn't match so I had to purchase another Olfa. Now I check each specialized ruler I buy against the Olfa to see if I've got to adjust the measurement.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 AM

It happened to me years ago when I switched rulers. Since then I stick with the same rulers throughout a project. I have been known to even leave myself sticky notes or when I hang my rulers separate them so I know which I am not using.