Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Not to beat an old horse---but,

No washing here. Hate ravels.

I put mine in a pillowcase with a color catcher. Don't starch until ready to use. Starch attracts bugs. Also, the smallest cut I've used is a fat quarter. I've not yet used the smaller cuts. I tend to buy a LOT of fabric, a yard being the smallest cut. My daughter collects the fat quarters. She does Stampin'Up and uses fabric quite a bit. Sometimes I "borrow" from her.

omt
    What does IRR mean? Is there a glossory for the abbreviaitons everyone uses on this blog? I'm not new to computers, but sometimes the abbreviations stump me.

Someone said putting material in a pillowcast works well, but sure to close the open in with safety pins or something.

I don't was fat quarters either

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merrylouw
    I quickly run the raw edges thru my serger. Works like a charm, no ravels at all. Then into the washer they go, with a color catcher.
    I serge the FQ's together into one log row, then put them in the wash with a Color Catcher. Works great!

I wash FQs in mesh lingerie-laundering bags; and I just don't buy jelly rolls or charm packs!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    I usually sew the ends of yardage cuts of fabric together before washing to keep from having too many ravels, but what do you do with fat 1/4's and those jelly rolls?
    I place these in a mess bag before washing. I also wash on the gentle cycle to cut down on the ravels.

nab
    I don't pre-wash.

i am shocked at how many people do not wash before they sew - don't you have problems with shrinkage and distortion? Think of the time I sould save if I could just jump right in ... but I think I am to retentive to do that.

I just purchased some beautiful blue batik. I asked at the lqs if I needed to prewash and was told no. I had been told to test the fabric by using a wet paper towel or white cloth and rub on fabric. If no color comes off it is ok. I did this with the blue fabric and some color came off so I decided to put it in the sink with some warm water. The color just ran out of it. It is still beautiful but not nearly the same shade as when I bot it. I can still use it but not for the quilt I bot it for. Thank goodness it was only going to be the binding. I then washed it in the machine with Retayne and it seems to be ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I've heard if you snip the corners off of a fat quarter it won't ravel, but I've not tried it.

I have heard this too, has anyone tried it?

Every quilt store I have shopped in has told me that you do not need to prewash fabrics that you buy at a Quilt Shop.

I've heard that too, but I haven't tried it. I was using a pinking blade but it sometimes works. Seems last batch I did before washing tangled bad. That part is just annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by grandmaquilts
    I just purchased some beautiful blue batik. I asked at the lqs if I needed to prewash and was told no. I had been told to test the fabric by using a wet paper towel or white cloth and rub on fabric. If no color comes off it is ok. I did this with the blue fabric and some color came off so I decided to put it in the sink with some warm water. The color just ran out of it. It is still beautiful but not nearly the same shade as when I bot it. I can still use it but not for the quilt I bot it for. Thank goodness it was only going to be the binding. I then washed it in the machine with Retayne and it seems to be ok now.
    Thank heavens you checked it--there was a lady on here that was having an awful time with a backing that ran after she had spent countless hours hand quilting it--that's when I decided that I'd better spend the time pre-washing

Blog Entries
    I wash everything but charms, because they would lose too much size-wise. I wash on gentle cycle, full tub of water, cold, and put a big towel in the dryer with the smaller pieces of fabric. They do pretty well. I've tried all the "tricks" to keep fraying to a minimum, and none of them work any better than the others. All fabric frays...period.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omt
    What does IRR mean? Is there a glossory for the abbreviaitons everyone uses on this blog? I'm not new to computers, but sometimes the abbreviations stump me.
    IRR stands for International Round Robin. If you search for "Abbreviations", you will find MANY threads that list them for you.

Blog Entries
    In the sink, roll in a towel to dry and iron.

Get yourself one of those laundry bags. They are made especially for fragile items that go into the washer. Beause of the way the bag is made (lots of holes) the items get clean but are not tossed about to get destroyed, all stays fine inside. I use the bags lots.

Don't wash - no problem then.

I've heard if you snip the corners off of a fat quarter it won't ravel, but I've not tried it.
    This works, I've been doing it for years. There's 2 ways to snip....
    1. just cut diagonally across the corner, cutting about 1/2" of the corner off.
    2. Cut into the corner on a 45 andgle, cut about 1/4-1/2"

This tangles all those threads together as they get loose so they can't unravel a few at a time.

I soak them in hot water and then put them in the dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Deedles
    This works, I've been doing it for years. There's 2 ways to snip....
    1. just cut diagonally across the corner, cutting about 1/2" of the corner off.
    2. Cut into the corner on a 45 andgle, cut about 1/4-1/2"

This tangles all those threads together as they get loose so they can't unravel a few at a time.
    Why doesn't this work for me? I have a handwash setting on the washer and everything. So far pinking or serging works the best for me. I did treat myself to a pinking rotory blade. That has made things so much easier.

I do not wash any of my fabrics. I mostly hand applique and I have an easier time if it is unwashed. If it is necessary to wash the final product I throw a color catcher in the machine.

Most of my fabrics are rinsed in the sink and dried, no washer. I do use the washer when I have a lot of fabric to wash. I clip the corners but am not sure it does a lot of good. I think I will try the serger ides. I am in the middle of organizing my sewing room and am washing the fabric that has not been washed, so I am using the machine on a rinse cycle only.
    I run batiks thru a full wash cycle using Shout Color Catcher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast