Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Not to beat an old horse---but,

I don't wash my fabrics either except for my PFD fabrics when I want to do some dyeing. I have found that cutting the corners off doesn't really seem to stop the ravelling but I buy good fabric for dyeing and it doesn't seem to ravel too much. I'm doing a batik block sway here so I guess I will have to break down and wash some batiks.

I made a beautiful wall hanging for a friend with unwashed fabric . She decided she wanted it as a table topper. Someone spilled something and when she washed it, the colors ran and it looked terrible. I don't have any of the fabrics left to make her another one. I always wash everything now. Just keep a scissors by the washer and dryer.

I always wash all my fabric before I use it - I want to get rid of the chemicals sprayed on it to keep the bugs away as well as catch the extra dye that comes off. The jelly rolls, FQs, charms all get hand washed in the sink with super hot water and hung to dry, bigger yardage goes in the washing machine. I will wash and rinse as many times as necessary to get clear rinse water - 21 times is the record so far. I prefer to hang everything to dry...I spray it with starch while it's wet and when it's dry it is so easy to iron. I wait to iron it until I'm an ready to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    I usually sew the ends of yardage cuts of fabric together before washing to keep from having too many ravels, but what do you do with fat 1/4's and those jelly rolls?
    Jelly rolls I don't wash. Fat quarters I hand wash only if I'm concerned about color bleeding...as with batiks. I fill a small plastic tub (which was an expensive going away gift after a stinit in the hospital) and soak like colors with a little detergent and hand agitate. I might lay them out to dry or sometimes use the dryer...depends on the fabric and my mood.

There was a thread on here not too long ago talking about prewashing scraps for scrappy quilts. One lady says she hand washes in the sink and 'spins' the water out in her salad spinner. Now that's creative thinking! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I wash everything by hand except what we call unbleached calico. I think it is called muslin in America. I know the quilt snobs turn there noses up at the mention of it, but I make quilts to be used. Calico gets softer and whiter the more you wash it.
    I will wash it up to 8 times before using it. Always have a stash of it so I don't run out.Buy 10 metres at a time.
    I do use quilt shop quality fabric as well as fabric off eBay and any bargains I just happen to find.
    As I give them away to charity as well as family & friends I figure I will use what I feel is right for the quilt.

When I first started sewing, I serged and prewashed all fabric, but I stopped that a long time ago and have never had a problem with shrinking, bleeding, etc. Use that time it would have taken to cut, construct, and quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin amma
    I usually sew the ends of yardage cuts of fabric together before washing to keep from having too many ravels, but what do you do with fat 1/4's and those jelly rolls?
    I soak mine in a sink folded flat for abaout and hour and that will handle any shrinkage or color fade, and the ends don't ravel!

Quote Originally Posted by brwnntwn
    i am shocked at how many people do not wash before they sew - don't you have problems with shrinkage and distortion? Think of the time I sould save if I could just jump right in ... but I think I am to retentive to do that.
    Nope just smart and obviously have learned the lesson in the past like me.

I bought 10 yds of flannel batik from SewBatik. I called them and asked if the fabric needed to be prewashed. They yes, absolutely. So, I cut it, washed it with tiny bit of detergent and Retayne in warm water on delicate cycle w/cold rinse. Also put in a dye magnet. I had cut them longer than what I needed. The colors are still beautiful and vibrant. The dye magnet turned just a very light pink. The pieces did shrink about 2 inches. So glad I cut longer than needed and am so glad I pre-washed.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    put them in a mesh laundry bag to wash.
    I did this and I still had a mess -- threads, threads, threads.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Pink the edges and use the mesh bag. Works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    I had clipped off the corners diagonally as someone had suggested. Didn't work.

I had clipped off the corners diagonally as someone had suggested. Didn't work.
    This is why I pink the edges. Clipping the corners just doesn't work for me. That rotory pinking blade is a great investment in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I agree, clipping the corners does not prevent raveling when pre washing.

Snip the corners on all of your fab. won't ravel. It works.

Blog Entries
    HI QUILTIN AMMA, TRY A SALAD SPINNER FOR THOSE SMALL PIECES. I DO NOT WASH MY FABRICS BEFORE SEWING EXCEPT REDS OR PERHAPS BLACK IF I THINK THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THEY MAY RUN. peterparley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterparley
    HI QUILTIN AMMA, TRY A SALAD SPINNER FOR THOSE SMALL PIECES. I DO NOT WASH MY FABRICS BEFORE SEWING EXCEPT REDS OR PERHAPS BLACK IF I THINK THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THEY MAY RUN. peterparley
    That is a GREAT idea!

Bev
    I pink the edges. It is cheap, fast and works great. There is no warping from pulled threads, etc. I also throw the fat quarters and fat eighths into a mesh bag or pillowcase to wash.
    Ditto!

8-)

thanks a lot everybody--a lot of good tips I always wondered what to do with my salad spinner?

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I don't prewash my fabrics.
    Me either

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3