Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not enough fabric for backing and cannot find anymore

Not enough fabric for backing and cannot find anymore

I bought what I thought was enough material for the backing of a quilt I am making. It is a quilters flannel from Joann's. I called around but the store does not have any more of this fabric and they do not even have any left at the warehouse so I cannot even order it. Any suggestions? I do not want to buy all new material for the backing because it is queen size and it would be to expensive. I am about 1 1/2 yards short. Would it look bad to use 2 different fabrics for the back?

Suzanne
    Suzanne

Blog Entries
    Absolutely! I do it all the time.
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

People use multiple colors on the backs of quilts all the time. You could cut your flannel in half...spread it apart and insert a coordinating piece in the middle or you could cut it in multiple places and use your coordinating pieces that way. I know others on the board will come up with examples for you.

Fabric backs are pieced all the time. Remove the selvage, use 1/2" seams, press open firmly. If you are taking this to a LA quilter. Horizontal seems are preferred. Just be aware we can't center perfectly from top to bottom. It is better to plan something that looks deliberately not centered. All is not lost! Think creatively. Use a block in part of the back.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have made backs with borders when I came up short fabric

I've pieced backs a number of times, and our ancestors definitely did, too. I like LoisM's idea of cutting your fabric in half to use on each end. You can put a different fabric in the middle, or put some other larger blocks into the section in the middle for extra interest. I also like the idea of cutting your fabric into strips (wider ones) and alternate with strips of other fabrics in colors similar to the front -- that way you have a reversible quilt. Instead of looking at it as solving a problem, make it a creation you can have fun with.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely piece the backing! I prefer my backs to be pieced. Often I will incorporate blocks from the front or fabrics that I used in the front. I am going to Joann's tomorrow, if you could post a picture, I would be happy to see if they have the fabric that you are looking for!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have have pieced the back many times just to add some element of interest! It is all good!

Blog Entries
    I commonly put orphan blocks on the backs of mine,or I'll make random artsy block out of the scraps from the front an put on the back.

You could post in the IN SEARCH OF category to see if anyone has the fabric and would be willing to sell some to you.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    Use some of your other left over fabrics to make blocks or just shapes to cover back in a pleasing way. Just watch when quilting, especially if the seams are back to back.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I've seen lots of quilts that are 2 or 3 different fabrics pieced together. I like them, it gives more interest to the back.

Craftsy has a free class on creative backs. Some of them I already do, but I did learn new things. Check it out. I am doing this more and more- it's like having 2 quilts!!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Blog Entries
    Here are some ideas to get you going:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t148395.html
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Here are some ideas to get you going:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t148395.html
    This was a great help.

Thank you
    Suzanne
    Suzanne

These are all great ideas. I cannot wait to get back to my quilt. I especially like the idea of adding blocks from the front onto the back. Thank you all soooo much!
    Suzanne
    Suzanne

Blog Entries
    is this a situation where the slip and slide technique will help you? Can't think of the guy who developed the technique, but I have it on Excel so you will know if your fabric will work. All you need to know is the size of your quilt, how much extra you need on sides to please your quilter, and the width of the fabric you want to use on the back. Insert the numbers where they belong and the formula page automatically computes the number of inches and also yards you need to make it work. If you want a copy send me an email and I'll be happy to share with you. I love this page. All you need is for your computer to have Microsoft Excel so it can open and use the page.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

A while back someone suggested using some of the fabric of the front on the back. Should the quilt ever need repair the right fabrics will be right there.

Blog Entries
    Robert Kauffman has an app for backing, borders, binding etc it is free it willnot help for this time but if you have a smart phone it can help for the future. I have done "back art" many times. Good luck on how ever you decide to finish it.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

I piece backings, makes the back very pretty!!!!

I love to make scrappy backs. I often go find a different fabric for the binding just so I have some of the matching fabric for the back! maryquilts has a great off center 4 patch backing idea. She has lots of free quilt patterns too...

www.maryquilts.com

look along the left side...its called : backing~ off center 4 patch
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

I have begun to prefer a pieced back. I think it adds interest and a little whimsy to the quilt. The only time, recently, that I've done backs of a single fabric is when I've done either a tiny doll quilt or a smallish wallhanging and the piece of fabric that I had was enough for the whole quilt.

Go ahead. People do it all the time! Sometimes things like this happen and it totally expands your horizons by forcing you into an uncomfortable situation.

Pieced borders look wonderful! There are no quilt police.
    Linda

The modern Quilters are doing it all the time now and it looks great. Or piece the rest out of fabrics you have left from the front. Use leftover blocks. Make a stacked coins strip from leftovers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast