Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, if I am going to be best friends......

I don't have a decent seam ripper, at least one I like. I plan to be very chummy with my seam ripper, afterall we do tend to spend time together. What is everyone's thoughts on quality seam rippers? Is there one or two that is outstanding?

Al I know is you cant get a good one at Walmart anymore !!

Interested to see the answers on this one. I would say a new one! Seems like they get dull fast.....or am I just using it too much? lol.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I have more seam rippers than anything else. They are all over the place! All good, no special brand.

I use a seam ripper that is like a scapel. I love it and I think it is much faster than a regular ripper. You do have to careful you don't cut your fabric. When the blades get dull you just put in a new one. I just can't go back to a regular ripper anymore.

Banned
    no special brand but get one that is thin.....blade

I prefer the cheapest ones the others when I break them and I do alot of that, I feel I wasted my money the simple ones are sharp and thin that is what works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    I don't have a decent seam ripper, at least one I like. I plan to be very chummy with my seam ripper, afterall we do tend to spend time together. What is everyone's thoughts on quality seam rippers? Is there one or two that is outstanding?
    I like the Fons and Porter, but the blade is finer and sharper and I've broken several. Their pointed blade is very pointy so it lifts stitches easily.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Clover brands are the thinnest blades and sharpest in my opinion. I use both the round ones and the flat brown ones. Won't have any other in my studio. :)

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    Me and "Jack" are best friends. He's been known to sleep with me on occasion. (Sometimes I will be sitting on the couch ripping out a seam and fall asleep. I have this little tiny cream colored one that I got at Joanns forever and ever ago. It is still sharp and I use it alot, the only thing is that little tip with the little red ball broke off and now I don't like how it rips out threads so that little ball must have had some reason for being there. Then I bought one at Walmart its got a long blue handle on it...Hate that one and only use it if I cant find Jack.

Would love to know more, mine is like super dull and so bad, I have to rip one stitch at a time - painful (slow).

i think a new one as they do get dull i also like the thinner ones

I like the Clover ones best too.

Blog Entries
    The Clover white one-BEST. Others seem to have too large a tip to put under a stitch and the little inside curved blade not sharp enough to cut hot butter!

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...seam+ripper.do

Blog Entries
    I like the Clover seam rippers and if they are still available, they did have some that are flat and don't tend to roll away if you put them down. Last time I saw them, I bought three and still have two tucked away!

it certainly is an intersting topic I believe, glad to hear from others on this. I may try the clover brand, I do like Fons & Porters products. There must be some really decent seam rippers somewhere.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what brand mine are, but I didn't pay much for them. I probably bought them at WM. I have two and have had them for years. They both still work fine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    go to quilter's home dot com and search out the article they did in that...they tested a few different ones and proved that cheaper is usually better in the seam ripper dept... I love my tiny little one that came with my Bernina...and I love the blue handled Dritz deluxe...I tried the surgical knife ones and gave that up really fast....NOT for me!

I use a cheap one from Walmart but if I can ever afford it I would love to have the Alex Anderson 4 in 1 tool. It has a flat-ended presser cap for finger pressing, folding, and burnishing, BERNINA seam ripper, pointed wood end cap for turning bias tubes and an extra-long stiletto. Is very cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Clover brands are the thinnest blades and sharpest in my opinion. I use both the round ones and the flat brown ones. Won't have any other in my studio. :)

Jan in VA
    Same here

I haven't found one I like either if you find a good one let me know :!: :!: :!: :oops:

I can tell you what I use: Noxema eyebrow shapers!They are very sharp,They come 3 in a package,and I can get them at the Dollar Store for a couple bucks a package.

Jim
    I like them small...Fons and Porters are too big and too costly like everything they sell

Over the years, I have spent a fortune on seam rippers. My main complaint is that they seem to become dull so quickly.
    I'm really happy with the one I have now from Lee Valley Tools (leevalley.ca or leevalley.com) Lee Valley makes top quality tools for woodworkers, gardeners, etc.

To see a picture of this kit, on the home page, click on "Gifts" then Category "Arts and Crafts" pg. 2, although it's fun to browse through their amazing stuff.

quote from catalogue: Pro Seam-Ripper Kit
    Developed in response to a customer who felt seamstresses and tailors were under-served in tool development, specifically regarding the U-shaped thumb stabber that is currently called a seam ripper. The Pro kit includes two sharp-end stitch-picker blades for starting a seam, and four safe-tip rippers that complete the job without snagging the fabric.

The instruction brochure covers straight and top-stitched seams as well as 3 and 4 thread serged seams, and the techniques you use for each kind. The six blades, two blade holders, and detailed instructions all come in a fitted metal case to keep everything together.

The blades are durable, but replacement blade packs are available for heavy-duty users. Suitable for anyone who does sewing, even on a casual basis.

Pro Seam-Ripper Kit
    09A01.20 $18.50 (me: the 6 interchangable blades really give you the equivalent of 6 seam rippers; and, as they mention above, you can order replacement blades for the 2 handles.)

They're made in Canada, so there will be no duty to the US, and Lee Valley will not bill you until they send an you an email with the shipping charges and you OK everything.

If you are visiting Canada, just go to a store and pick one up.

For those of us who have physical limitations that make gardening difficult, I can't reccommend enough their folding kneeler stool (pg. 31 of the gardening catalogue). It folds down flat for storage. Used one way, it provides a comfortable seat; and, flipped over, it can be used as a padded kneeler with handles on either side at just the right height to push yourself up again.
    I have had a spinal fusion and 2 total knee replacements and it enabled me to enjoy my garden and flower beds again.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't use a seam ripper, I use a snip w/ scooped blades. I never liked seam rippers. If I have to use something else, I use a scalpel.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast