Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: OK, Quilt Guilds, Shouldn't you encourage those who show n Tell???

They are missing out on a lot of talent and nice people by not allowing men into the "Inner Circle". What an out of touch group! Not a group that i would want to join.
    Judith

Blog Entries
    If it's anything like my guild's by laws, they were copied from another guild's by laws and so outdated. We rarely go by them anymore. I bet most members have no clue that statement is in the bylaws. :roll:

I had a pretty poor experience in Ca many years ago with a guild so I don't even think about going here in Pa. I suppose I should give them a shot. Who knows.

Wow! It actually EXCLUDES men! What is the average age of membership? I think I would ask a member, or the president what the origin of that rule is! It may be that they are unaware, or they REALLY don't like men! That would be funny if it weren't so hard to understand! :? :?

In my guild a lot of us bring show and tell. We are applauded and also get our pic taken with our show and tell and it is printed in our newsletter.

I haven't noticed any "clicks" in my guild, all the ladies are so wonderful and helpful.

Perhaps now is the time for a new offshoot of the traditional Guild set-up...a place for Bohemian Eclectic Quilters....that way the fear/gender/age factor is eliminated....and people can get down to the business of sharing fabulous fabrics, creative design ideas, stitchery and the fellowship of others travelling their "Quilting Odyssey"...whatever their style or "level" is perceived to be. Hmm....sounds like this group doesn't it?

Ps. Doesn't everyone remember how terrifying "show and tell" was at school!

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Perhaps now is the time for a new offshoot of the traditional Guild set-up...a place for Bohemian Eclectic Quilters....that way the fear/gender/age factor is eliminated....and people can get down to the business of sharing fabulous fabrics, creative design ideas, stitchery and the fellowship of others travelling their "Quilting Odyssey"...whatever their style or "level" is perceived to be. Hmm....sounds like this group doesn't it?

Oh my goodness... I would SO join that club! lol "The Bohemian Eclectic Quilters"

I am ready to join the "Bohemian Eclectic Quilters"! I am already of Bohemian heritage! What a wonderful idea! I think we already belong to it here! :lol:

These posts are SO helpful. I have been looking for a group to join and now I know what to look for AND how to do my best to contribute. I think like smiles, encouragement is contagious. If you do it, others will follow, and all others are unhappy people, you can't change that. I am so thankful for all of you, your encouragement and knowledge. I have been sewing non-stop since joining this great group. The recognition one gets from posting a picture here is out of this world, good. I canít wait to get another quilt done so I can have that again. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    My husband is a Pastor. I join a guild every time we move to a new Church. I loved the guild I was a member of at our last church. After we moved I joined the guild here. It was not a friendly guild at all. I tried talking to ladies each meeting but they seem to ignor the newer members. It was all business and if you were not in the "click" you were not part of them. After about 6 months of going to this guild my husband asked me one day. "You aren't happy with this guild are you?" I had to tell him no. So he came up with a great idea. He told me if I wanted to go back to the guild where we came from I could. It was about 1 hour and 20 minutes away, but I loved it. I couldn't believe that he actually saw a difference in me when I came home from this guild. So once a month I go that hour and twenty minutes but it is nothing to me because I love it. There are between 20 and 30 ladies but they don't have a click and they were so happy for me to come back. Thanks for letting me vent. I also enjoy this board. I have learned a lot even though I don't get on here as much as I would like. The life of a pastor's wife is pretty busy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker

Oh my goodness... I would SO join that club! lol "The Bohemian Eclectic Quilters"
    Me, too!!! Where do I sign up?!?!? :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Wow! It actually EXCLUDES men! What is the average age of membership? I think I would ask a member, or the president what the origin of that rule is! It may be that they are unaware, or they REALLY don't like men! That would be funny if it weren't so hard to understand! :? :?
    I'm sure the majority are probably older women, as the few who I know personally that are in the guild are older age (50/60+). From the photos of their meetings that I've seen on their web site, that seems to be true as well.

I've been giving this some thought and think I'll speak with a lady in the guild who used to be president. She's still very active in it and is a super nice person. I was thinking I'd write her a letter expressing my interest and asking about this rule and whether it is actually still enforced or not. I'll defer to her good judgment as to how she thinks a man in the guild would be received. I think she'll be straight with me about it and will let me know whether it would be a good idea or not. Just because I possibly could join, doesn't mean it would be a good thing to do if I get cold shouldered at all the meetings. We're going on vacation next week, so I think I'll ponder the letter over that and take it up when I get back.

Good idea. I may look into mine here too.

Blog Entries
    unless specifically invited to participate
    I think this is your loophole. Talk with some of the members and maybe they'll invite you. Maybe it's an archaic rule that needs to be changed.

Having written a few bylaws in my time... I imagine that they are talking about "men" as regards the spouses of the members. If a man was the member and wanted to bring his non-member wife, you would have the same problem -- nonmembers wanting the same benefits as the dues-paying members.

Children are an obvious potential distraction/disruption in a formal meeting, and I can see that non-quilting, non-member spouses might be, too. The goal is to have a focused membership who are there to learn about quilting. Social interaction is nice, but the monthly meetings are often quite structured "business/lecture" meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by scrap quilter
    Eddie

I am so sorry to hear that you wouldn't be welcome in your local quilt guild........ what's to say it's for ladies only???????

Have you tried going to one of the meetings????? If not I would attend and bring something for show and tell........

Scrap Quilter
    They have a website with their bylaws posted on it and it says that membership is open to ladies only and that men and children are specifically prohibited from any guild functions.

I'm not sure I would get in the door if I tried to crash one of their meetings, and I really wouldn't want to make any waves within the group. I can respect (maybe not fully understand) that they want to have a closed group like this. I know several members of the guild personally, so am thinking I might casually ask about the policy some time and see what they say. Here's what the bylaws state:

"Men and children (under the age of 12) unless specifically invited to participate, shall be excluded from all guild activities."

That's pretty explicit, in my opinion. :) I'd like to participate and help with whatever needs doing. I'm President of our local historic park, and am editor and past vice-president and treasurer of our county historical society. So I understand how difficult it can be to get "doers" involved in helping run the organization and making it function. I think I would have a lot to offer in that regard, but doesn't look like it's a possibility. Oh, well. Maybe it'll change some day.
    I wonder if the purpose of that was to give women an excuse to get away from husbands and kids...I agree with some of the other posts, that it's likely an outdated rule that no one pays attention to. You should try to break the barrier - in your sweet way of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    Having written a few bylaws in my time... I imagine that they are talking about "men" as regards the spouses of the members. If a man was the member and wanted to bring his non-member wife, you would have the same problem -- nonmembers wanting the same benefits as the dues-paying members.

Children are an obvious potential distraction/disruption in a formal meeting, and I can see that non-quilting, non-member spouses might be, too. The goal is to have a focused membership who are there to learn about quilting. Social interaction is nice, but the monthly meetings are often quite structured "business/lecture" meetings.
    I think that could well be true. The previous quote was from their "Policies" section of the bylaws. The following is from the "Membership" section:

"Membership in the xxxx Guild shall be open to any lady who has an interest in quilts and quilting."

It's from those two clauses that seem to be expressly stating the intent of a women only guild. But I could be reading more into it than what's there. Anyway, I plan to ask quietly about it and see what the response it. It may be (and I hope it is) that the intent is simply to keep it focused on quilters and not their non-quilting spouses.

We have men in our guild. In fact, one of them has the fanciest long arm computer driven quilting "machine" I've ever seen. (he does wonderful work!) The other man is a retired doctor. I have only been in our group for less than a year but have found them to be welcoming and friendly. They offer classes, too, from quilt pros from out of our area which is a real plus.

The most important thing is to try to get involved in the activities. Don't wait to be asked--volunteer for the Opportunity Quilt or to make Comfort Quilts or whatever.

(And if "your" quilt is not a good experience, find a few friends and start your own---get together and quilt! ----plus you always have all of us online!!!)

prolongarmquilter, i don't blame you for being upset with those rude ppl.

Maride, that's awful how they spoke to and treated your son. hmph!

2wheelwoman...i'm applauding you. I like to look out for the underdog too, cause lots of times, I are one...
    well, sometimes...cause I'm small :mrgreen:

I would think a quilt guild's main objective would be to support. This "blanket" support needs to cover ALL members as well as community needs of children/charity, etc. ... what is life without kindness to others? When I read some of the quilt guild horror stories, I am reminded of the frequent cruelty of school children, including the "closing of ranks" against a newcomer. It's unacceptable in adults .... that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it! For those of you who do belong to a fine guild and treasure your membership and fellow members, I say: Good for you; you are very fortunate and are aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie
    I would think a quilt guild's main objective would be to support. This "blanket" support needs to cover ALL members as well as community needs of children/charity, etc. ... what is life without kindness to others? When I read some of the quilt guild horror stories, I am reminded of the frequent cruelty of school children, including the "closing of ranks" against a newcomer. It's unacceptable in adults .... that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it! For those of you who do belong to a fine guild and treasure your membership and fellow members, I say: Good for you; you are very fortunate and are aware of it.
    I like that weezie, and with all the 'bullying' in the schools, we as adults, need to set a good example, and find ways to get along.
    Accept each others differences, and tastes :wink:

I thought about joining but can't afford all the extras, and don't have a machine that is light enough to carry around. I can not afford the newest fabrics out...If I get any it has to be on sale....I get fabric where I can and buy by feel. I get my best at garage or church sales. I have fun and sew by myself...people make me nervous anyway :D This group is the greatest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2