Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it okay to lay my machine on it's side? >

Is it okay to lay my machine on it's side?

Is it okay to lay my machine on it's side?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Default Is it okay to lay my machine on it's side?

Hi Everyone! We are moving next week and I plan to take my Janome 6600 with me in the car. Its all packed up in its original box and packing material and will go in the back seat. My question is will it damage the machine if I lay the box on it's side? It will be a two day drive. Thanks for your answers!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 AM
mim

If you ever saw how cartons of everything get bounced around, you wouldn't have any worries. Go ahead -- just don't drop it putting it in. I used to be a computer dealer and some of the dented boxes were horrible. Everything ran OK. the packing that came with it will keep ir safe. You could even keep it upright and seatbelt it in.

Where are you moving to??

Mim

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Hi Everyone! We are moving next week and I plan to take my Janome 6600 with me in the car. Its all packed up in its original box and packing material and will go in the back seat. My question is will it damage the machine if I lay the box on it's side? It will be a two day drive. Thanks for your answers!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Anything going to lay on the top?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Hi Mim & Patricia! Thanks for your replies. Patricia, if anything is laid on top of the machine it would be something light, but probably nothing. Mim, I'm moving from Tulsa, OK to Raleigh, NC. Thanks for asking!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

​As long as it is well cushioned in the box, I don’t see a problem with it being on its side. The only reason I would say well cushioned is I dropped my machine in a luggage cart on the backside. It didn’t hurt the machine since the drop was only about 12 inches but it did jam the machine carry handle. I was able to pry it back out though.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 PM

If you leave it in your car overnight, make sure no one will look in the car window and realize it is a sewing machine. You don't want a car window to be broken and your machine taken.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
If you leave it in your car overnight, make sure no one will look in the car window and realize it is a sewing machine. You don't want a car window to be broken and your machine taken.
I know! My car window was already smashed and my purse stolen earlier this year. Not an experience I'd like to repeat!
Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 AM

Belt it in the back seat. Then it won't fly if an accident occurs.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:43 AM

Sorry, I say no. Took my Bernina Aurora on 1100 mile trip on its side. Did not do well, had to have repair done because an internal screw holding the frame together had vibrated loose. It was not in the original packing, just the carry case. Having the original box and packing may have prevented the problem. But....even so would I chance it again? No.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 AM

I was directed Never lay my Pfaff on its side (for transport reasons) by both the dealer I purchased it from, and the certified repair person who does their service and maintenance. They explained the internal mechanism is designed in such a way that turning the machine on its side for extended periods may damage it.
I took them at their word, especially after what I spent on that machine.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-25-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps