Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For?

The Twilight Brigade.....I just found out about this volunteer group who has never had any one donate a quilt to them that is until I just did 3. They take care of our veterans in WDC. Just email Jill King at [email protected] and tell her Cece sent you to her.

A nearby hospital would probably be happy to have quilts from you. Contact the Volunteer office to get their requirements. I have been doing this for 2 years and I get to make all the quilts I want and they get good quilts.

Save some for yourself. Barb
    be happy

I make quilts for those who admire my work. I don't sell them, only give them to those who want them, friends and friends of those friends. Plus, I have many lying around my house on beds, four quilt racks, table toppers and my beds. My girls are going to have a ball going through all of them after I am gone. Of course, they each have some as well as the grand children. I just love making them for what ever reason.
    MaryB

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    "If you sew it, they will come"!

In my experience, if you keep enough quilts out and visible they will gain admirers, and whenever someone gets attached to one I get a huge kick out of saying, "Well, since you really like that one, why don't you keep it? That one is an extra. No, really, please take it, so I will have an excuse to make another one!" and watching people go through the stages of disbelief, shyness about "taking" something, then finally excitement and snuggly happiness as they cuddle their new quilt.

There are only a very few quilts that are mine permanently. The rest, I'm just 'breaking in' until their true owner comes along. LOL

I learned this from my grandma, by the way. She was always very generous with her quilts; many, many, MANY people ended up with her quilts, not just family. She passed away 10 years ago now, and I STILL run into friends of the family that tell me how their quilt is still in use and still loved. Sometimes I almost think Gram enjoyed giving the quilts away more than making them, but then she made SO MANY she kind of had to give them out or her house wouldn't have had space to move in it!
    This is exactly what I do...I really enjoy the act of "giving" always. My girls tell me "Mom why don't you sell them" well, as I tell them, folks don't have that kind of money and it makes me feel so very good to "give" the quilts away or make special ones for special folks. I am just like that, what can I say?
    MaryB

How do you run out of relatives? I think everybody is thru having babies for now so now all the grandkids and great nieces and nephews are getting their big kid quilts and by the time I get thru all of those quilts then it'll be time for grown up quilts. And I'll bet before I get caught up on all of those quilts the oldest granddaughters will start having babies and then the whole thing starts all over!! And that's just the grandkid cycle!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL EllieGirl: Try a Domestic Abuse shelter near you .. That is why my cousins do; they make up the quilts and give them to the shelters that house wives, children of abuse and want to get away from it.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

You could adopt me, EllieGirl. lol

I guess I am selfish, I just keep on making quilts and storing them in plastic zipper bags. I don't have much family, no one cares about quilts anyway and I do have a sister in law that makes beautiful quilts herself. Anyway I cannot bear to part with them. After spending so many hours on these wonderful works of art I just cannot bear to let them go. I suppose someday when I am gone someone will pull them out and use them or sell them or whatever. I won't know anything about it and in the meantime they make me extremely happy just pulling them out and admiring.

I make quilts for a children's charity and also wounded soldiers. My relatives tell me they don't need anymore blankets, they don't understand the difference.
    Sharon

Who do you make quilts for??? ME! I would love one. Thank you!
    I have still to complete one for me..not enough time.

You can make place mats, purses, table runners, table toppers, lap robes and the list is endless. Tons of people need things and it's a joy to pass along something made with love.

Many hospitals give them out to the children who are being hospitalized as well. Plus all the charities mentioned above. My guild gives them to homeless, habitat for humanity, head start (about 1000+ every year), and all the charities listed above. We have over 300 members so there is always a need.

Find a dialysis center and go in one day and pass out some quilts. Patients get very cold when they are in the dialysis process. Also, a chemo center would have appreciative recipients.
    Carol B

Contact your local quilt guild and see who they sew for. One guild that I belong to made over 450 quilts last year for child protective services to give to kids going out to foster homes. The other guild made over 160 quilts for the sheriff's dept to give to kids in domestic violence shelters. There is such a great need for kid's quilts, and the stories that we hear back from appreciative kids keeps us sewing even harder. Most of our fabric comes from quilters who pass away and leave us their enormous stashes. Another great thing from sewing for these kids is that I've met some wonderful quilters and don't want to miss our weekly sewing get togethers. Sewing for others makes it a treat when I get to make something for myself or family!!

Quote Originally Posted by barbo117 View Post
    I guess I am selfish, I just keep on making quilts and storing them in plastic zipper bags. I don't have much family, no one cares about quilts anyway and I do have a sister in law that makes beautiful quilts herself. Anyway I cannot bear to part with them. After spending so many hours on these wonderful works of art I just cannot bear to let them go. I suppose someday when I am gone someone will pull them out and use them or sell them or whatever. I won't know anything about it and in the meantime they make me extremely happy just pulling them out and admiring.
    Honestly, though, do any of us do ANYTHING that isn't selfish? I give away my quilts because I get more happiness out of them that way than if I kept them all. Similarly, I donate to charity mostly because it makes me feel good. Generous acts, sure, but I freely admit they're all selfishly motivated! If giving away my quilts made me unhappy, you can bet your sweet bippy I'd keep every single one! (What is a "bippy" anyway? And why are they sweet?)

**disclaimer: I have had a good bit of wine tonight - been celebrating 20 years with my spouse - not bad for a couple of thirty-mumble year olds! Any excessive goofiness or bad spelling can be blamed on the vino! But I'm serious about the selfish thing. I firmly believe that selfishness gets a bad reputation, I think it's necessary to avoid insanity and burnout and people should feel free to be selfish if it harms nobody else. Not to imply that you, in particular, don't feel free. I'm just sayin', in general....we all gotta take care of #1 sometimes and if (for example) something as harmless as holding onto things you've made by hand make you happy then gosh darn it you KEEP those things and BE happy and don't ever feel bad about it.

WHEW. I'm gettin' all philosophical here. It was some VERY good wine! LOL

Blog Entries
    Well, with a new baby in the family and that my name is the same as yours, you could send a baby quilt to me cause I don't have much time to work. khahahaha Just kidding.

Ellie

Quote Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
    I've been quilting three years. I've made baby quilts for my grandchildren, lap quilts for my two daughters, plan to make lap quilts for my three sisters, I would like to try a queen size quilt for my bed. Then what?? I love doing this but I'm just wondering what to do with all the quilts I want to make
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4