Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One or more >

One or more

One or more

Old 10-18-2020, 03:54 AM

Default One or more

I'm a buyer of quilt pattern books, usually because of that one great pattern that I just have to make. With the price of quilt books, do you buy for that ONE pattern, or do you make more than one design from the same book? Been thinking lately that I'd love to purchase ONE book and make every pattern in it. Maybe I should start with mini-quilts instead of bed quilts?
Old 10-18-2020, 04:26 AM

I'm like you, I usually buy books for that one pattern I like. Sometimes even that one never gets made. I guess I'm a collector because I just like to pull out my quilting books and look at them - my nightstand usually has one or two on it.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:58 AM

What! You are supposed to actually make quilts from the pattern in a book????? tee hee....I mostly just read them like I would a novel...too many quilt books....so little time....
Old 10-18-2020, 04:59 AM

I normally purchase a book for one pattern, but yesterday I saw a Kindle Book (digital version), Moda All Start Sensationally Scrappy, that looked interesting and after I paid for it and was able to look at all of the patterns, I found 3 quilts that I "needed" to make. https://smile.amazon.com/Moda-All-St...al-text&sr=1-1
Old 10-18-2020, 05:16 AM

I have books that for the life of me I don't know why I bought it. I know there was a quilt I saw in there I must have wanted to make, but when looking later I sure can't find it. LOL I just donated 25 books to a group that make quilts for donations, and they were thrilled. This now only leaves probably 125 or more. I quit subscriptions to quilting magazines along time ago.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:46 AM

Linda - I did that (one time)...it was a book with mini quilts in it. I started with the first one and worked my way through it. It was great fun! It only took me a couple weeks. I do the samples for my local quilt shop so it was fun seeing them all hanging together.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
What! You are supposed to actually make quilts from the pattern in a book????? tee hee....I mostly just read them like I would a novel...too many quilt books....so little time....

I thought quilt books were just for dreaming!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:24 AM

Actually I find most quilting books pretty disappointing. There are lots of free patterns on the internet.
And I mostly take a picture and wing it. I've never actually totally followed a pattern since my very first quilt.

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 10-18-2020 at 06:26 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-18-2020, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

The one book I do look at a lot is the Big Book of Scrap Quilts. I has every pattern I would ever want to make.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:14 AM

I use my library and check out books for free - I look at the books on order list weekly and place a hold if interested and then I don't have to spend money for it. If I really like the book I may purchase it online. Do this for other topics that I want to read non-fiction and fiction.