Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
That one quilt... >

That one quilt...

That one quilt...

Old 09-26-2015, 12:58 AM

Default That one quilt...

...where nothing goes right.

I'm working on a tee shirt quilt for myself. I decide to to it QAYG in 4 rows. During quilting of the first row, I use the wrong foot and destroy one of the tees. I get a replacement shirt with the same logo from a friend and patch it in, and finish quilting the row. I look at it on my bed, and the spacing is all wrong and the thread I used to quilt it clashes. So the first row is now under the seamripper being busily un-quilted.

I decide to take a break from that and work on the second row tonight. One of the shirts refuses to stick to its stabilizer. I thought I'd got it, the as I sew it into place, the stabilize starts falling off in big patches.

I'm not even halfway done with this and it's already a disaster. Have you all had quilts like this where nothing worked?
Old 09-26-2015, 01:27 AM

Update.

So my progress since posting is to cut the shirt the stabilizer wouldn't stick to into pieces and throw it in 2 different trashcans, then sew a replacement shirt in upside-down.

Is it too early to give what's left of this quilt a viking funeral and give up?
Old 09-26-2015, 01:51 AM

Oh dear, I'm having my second glass of red wine this evening in honour of, and commiserations for you! Put it away for a day or two then come back with a fresh determination and gritted teeth. But having said that, there's no rule that says you can't give it the viking funeral treatment you are leaning towards! Your quilt...your decision. Sleep on it.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:36 AM

that is how UFOs are born! I admit, I'd have to toss it aside for awhile and work on something else.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:35 AM

I'd go for the Viking funeral
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 AM

I have a special box which contains such projects. Every once in a great while I'll pull one out and try again. Sometimes the evil spirits have departed, sometimes not. If they're gone, it gets finished - if not back it goes. I shall not reveal the current number of inhabitants of the box as not to embarrass myself. Suffice it to say that there are more in that box than I'd like.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 AM

I feel your pain. Been there, done that, and unfortunately its happening on my current project that has to be finished before next Saturday.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:30 AM

Oh, I feel your frustration! I had one of those recently and I finally got the satisfaction and last word by cutting it up into shreds and putting the pieces in my give-away sack of scraps for pet beds!!! A little revenge can be good for the soul!!!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
I have a special box which contains such projects. Every once in a great while I'll pull one out and try again. Sometimes the evil spirits have departed, sometimes not. If they're gone, it gets finished - if not back it goes. I shall not reveal the current number of inhabitants of the box as not to embarrass myself. Suffice it to say that there are more in that box than I'd like.
This was too funny.....Love it!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:52 AM

I think we've all been there! I agree with putting it aside.