Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
OOPS my needle goes through my FMQ foot? >

OOPS my needle goes through my FMQ foot?

OOPS my needle goes through my FMQ foot?

Old 09-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Question OOPS my needle goes through my FMQ foot?

So, I successfully made 2 small toddler bed quilts soing FMQ....then my MIL asked me to make her 4 twin size quilts - I got within 4 inches of finishing the first one and my needle poked through the plastic of my FMQ foot....when I put the foot down it kind of leans outward and apparently the needle has been making a hole in it (well a couple holes)...I snipped off a bunch of the plastic that was all eaten up by the needle and now the needle is poking through another part of the plastic. I have no idea why it didn't break the needle.

I am thinking I really can't take off all the plastic and now the thread is snagging on the rough plastic too, and making a huge mess. I have 3 more quilts to make by the end of this week - ACK! but I don't want to keep messing up my foot. I can get to the local sewing store on Monday (when they open) but that is where I bought the one I have and not sure if there is any other foot I should ask for?

I am thinking maybe I am going too fast (from reading other suggestions about breaking needles - even though I haven't broke a needle)... or maybe (I can't tell for sure) the spring part of the foot isn't really moving much...it seems really stiff?? (I could totally be imagining this problem trying not to blame myself)

Anyone else have these issues??
Thanks
LAnicia
Old 09-15-2012, 04:14 PM

I cut away most of the foot on myy FMQ foot and did away with the spring because the hopping made me crazy. I got the idea from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APD6s7PwoqU It solved many of my FMQ problems when I did it.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Do you have a closed FMQ foot? When I took my FMQ class, the instructor brought his Dremel in and he cut the front of the circle off for almost all of us in the class. Really made it easier to see what is going on, that's for sure!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Can you bring your machine to the place you bought the foot from? Maybe it is not attached right or you need a different foot?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:33 PM

yes, it is the closed foot (like the one in that youtube video posted earlier)....but I cut off part of the back cause that's where my needle poked through. Now my needle poked through the front opposite corner :-/

I can take the whole thing it - that might be a good idea....also my tension was PERFECT and now it is all wonky and I didn't change anything (except the hole in the foot)

Y'all have great ideas! So any reason to keep ANY of the plastic circle on the foot?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 PM

ahha!! I looked at it again...the foot is broken, the part that attaches to the machine (behind the screw) is cracked.....so when I put the presser down it just pushed it back(the bar) and then it was all wonky whiched caused my needle to go through the wrong part....I guess I am off to buy a new FMQ foot - but not til Monday ...unless Hancocks carries those....anyone know? I know Joanns doesn't.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Our Hancock's always had a few universal FMQ feet.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:48 PM

My Hancock's carries some universal feet as well. Good luck!