Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Open Seams or Closed Seams????? >

Open Seams or Closed Seams?????

Open Seams or Closed Seams?????

Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by nitakhoops
Keep seam closed and press to the darker fabric.

No thanks. LOL. I don't follow rules. Call me Ms. Rebel.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 AM

I look at what is going to make the difference in the quilting, as well as the construction. Construction is only a portion of the picture. I also think about the quilting during the construction phase.

Some quilters do their quilting in the ditch, that is Stitch IN the Ditch (SID). Some do Outlining, which is quilting a line NEAR the ditch, but not EXACTLY IN the ditch. There are reasons and places for both. The verbage is changing and becoming more accurate. They aren't interchangeable terms, although they've been used that way in the past.

There is a misconception that you cannot outline without a ditch. An outline is only a quilted line. I can put it anywhere, the same way I do all lines. Another misconception is that SID or Outlining are the easiest things a LA'er can do...WRONG! It's one of the hardest skills to learn to do well on a LA :)

Today's equipment no longer leaves a strength issue, like there was yesteryear with hand-quilting (where the 'press to the dark' originated, and rightly so). It's rather outdated now. Having said that, everyone still has to do what feels comfortable to them. There is no wrong way.

I do piecing and longarming, and ALWAYS am looking to what will have the best end result. I personally pay very close attention to the piecing and ironing, as well as batting and quilting threads and motifs, so I end up with something that's worth all I've invested (effort, time and money). I want to feel proud of my creation. I've learned so much - beginning to end, since I bought the longarm and began studying that portion of quilt-making. It gave me a perspective I didn't have when I did my quilting on the DSM. I never thought I would like something as well as piecing, but I do. A good quilt, from beginning to end, is a beautiful thing :)

Mine aren't perfect, so don't get that impression! I'm still always improving, and hope I always will be. We each have to do what works for us...but I'm not afraid to try something new and see if it works better. Sometimes yes, sometimes not so much :)

Wow! Such a LONG book! I know I'm wordy...but geez - somebody cut off the coffee! (I love this topic...it's really one of my favorites...and one I enjoy a good debate about! Just in case you couldn't tell! LOL!)
Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Good information. I just realized that if I use Mary Ellen's fabric spray(or something like it), everything looks much better. It doesn't matter if I am pressing open, as with binding seams or to one side in block construction. The fragrence is nice and there is a clean finish that makes the fabric easier to work.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 AM

I was taught to stitch slightly to the side of the seam line...not exactly in the ditch...therefore on the side opposite where the seam allowance lies