Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions/Thoughts re: Swaps and Robins? >

Opinions/Thoughts re: Swaps and Robins?

Opinions/Thoughts re: Swaps and Robins?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 AM

I was in a swap several years ago (not on this board) and one girl kept all the quilts she received. We tried to contact her and sent her letters etc. Never heard anything. One girl had all moda fabric in her swap so she lost a lot. However rhe second one I joined I have the quilt.. It traveled around the world and I am thirlled with it. Two of the ladies were from Australia and New Zealand.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:16 AM

totally disappointed! Host wouldn't even reply to me about things, blocks came with holes in them, colors were not what they were supposed to be....do it at your own risk and don't expect much...never tried a round robin. Also postage cost more than it was worth!!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I have done several. (10 or so over 10 yrs) Yes, realize blocks will be of verious sizes,of all kinds of fabrics, not everyone seems to be able to follow directions, blocks might have holes, blocks put together the wrong way, you might never get some blocks, colors are wrong etc.

I like the projects I made with the blocks. I enjoy getting to know the people that are participating and the communication as people are making the blocks. I do worry if people will like my blocks and if I can make the death line.

Right now I am in one swap Final Dresden Seasonal Swap-Winter ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-152159-1.htm ), first with this board. I think because the board is very large it is harder to keep in touch during the process. The host, Deb, for this swap is very helpful and responds back to posts or pm. I put a pictures down below of the Dresden block I am working on. I had made a Dresden block before but wanted to do one with points and joining the swap was motivational and helpful to work on perfecting the technique.

Below is also a picture of a quilt made from two swaps over two years from another board. The board was much smaller so I felt I got to know the people. When I put the quilt top together I removed the labels from the people who made them from the different blocks. It brought back many memories.

Block in progress for current swap I am in on this board. Dresden Plate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275295[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-275238.jpe   attachment-275242.jpe  
Old 10-22-2011, 04:46 AM

I'd like to enjoy a secret pal swap. How do you get into one?
Mikki

Originally Posted by mimom
I participate in the secret pal swap every month, its alot of fun and you never know what you'll get. There is a 10.00 spending limit not including postage. Most of us get away with 4.95 flatrate mailers so its not too bad. You dont have to spend 10.00 its just the limit. Alot of us send stuff from our own stash plus some store bought things.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 AM

how do you joint a swap? I am very new at this!
sandra
Old 10-22-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by sandrah
how do you joint a swap? I am very new at this!
sandra
Go to the home page and click on Member Swaps Round/Row Robins. Click on the various choices and read through some of the posts. I did this with the "Winter Dresden" swap. Mostly to see if my own skill would equal the others. After seeing the Dresden above I'm excited all over again that I joined it. I try to only send what I would want myself and I had never done a Dresden so I've already learned a new technique.

My daughter and I joined this board just a couple of months ago and I somehow wandered into LuvToQuilt's 10.5" swaps, then Yosamitesa's 6.5" novelty swaps. Both ladies are SO PRO!!! You can do Up to six sets so the investment is only what you choose. I'd encourage anyone to join.

I'd say.... Do your research on a sewing project and try one month a fabric swap. Start small and expect only the best from YOU :)
Old 10-22-2011, 05:42 AM

I have only done one block swap. Very dissappointing.
Blocks were made of cheap fabric. Most blocks were not the required size, suppose to be 6 1/2 inch square (6 1/4 mostly)
The block required light, med, dark fabrics correctly placed. Some quilters didn't follow the color placement which was clearly labeled on the pattern. Out of 14 blocks I could only
use 9. I've not done another block swap.
I joined for a round robin and machine embroidered four blocks for the center of the quilt. Sent them out to the quilter. One year later I still hadn't received the quilt top. I finally called her and she sent my center blocks back.
I guess swapping just isn't for me. :D
Old 10-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I love them....they are a blast! Of course, I am the type that tends to make lemonade when served with bad lemons, so I don't mind what I get back. The social aspect of the swap is what I have fun with.

I'm not sure there will be another IRR offered on this board. There have been 3---I hosted one and it broke my heart that of the 60 quilts that started, there were 2 that never made it home. As a host....we cannot control what other people do! That alone is the reason that I will not host another. I cannot deal with the feelings of disappointment and frustration that I had...innocent members were being hurt by someone else and I couldn't do a thing about it. That is the chance you take doing a round robin...but if you form an individual one with a group of people you feel comfortable with...they are sooo great!

Swaps are lots of fun....just go for it!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

The few block swaps I have joined, the majority of the blocks were made from cheap fabric and you could tell not much thought went in the sewing. I mean bright pink thread to sew dark fabric pieces? The thread is usually thick so the seam won't press flat. Why do quilters that sign up for swaps use thread and fabric they want to get rid of? It's so obvious. The blocks I did receive that were nice I used them in a quilt, the others went in the trash. I wasn't about to keep them around to be disappointed looking at them. If I see those block makers in the list of future swaps I don't participate. I always send a small gift to the swappers that follow the swap intention, it does take time and thought to make a nice one to send to someone and I appreciate the effort for the block to be as nice as possible. Just my thoughts on block swaps.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:09 AM

I love the secret pal swap. I have done others and the secret is to not expect all perfect blocks or all done according to directions.. but these are very few/ I sign up for 2 sets and then I know I will get plenty of nice blocks. I hope you decide to give them a try... most fit in a flat rate envelope so you are spending $5 to send and $5 to get your blocks back....