Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of... WHAT?

Once when I used the restroom at one of my favorite quilt shops that is a converted residence, I peaked in their bathtub-shower. It was full of bolts fabric! I haven't had to use that strategy yet, but I might!

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    The other day, my grown DD was staring in amazement at my spare bedroom....the boxes of fabric, etc. have grown to overwhelm the room (well, there is still walking room around the bed). And I'm trying to reorganize my sewing room so the spare bed was piled with various boxes of "essential" stuff. I told her that this was the stuff that I used on a regular basis and asked her if she had any ideas about storing it. Her comment? "Mom, you got way too much stuff!" :lol:
    Amazing! This same thing happened to me last week. My DD who lately seems to think I am getting senile, was absolutely horrified to see all my fabric spilling from my sewing room into the guest room. This week I am attempting to "put things away", but there is no place left to put them away into, on top of, or under. My DH has reached the point where he suffers in silence. I have always hated clutter. How did I reach this point???

Quote Originally Posted by krabadan
    Does anyone else hope they get to use it before they move on to another dimension?
    I know for sure that I have enough stash for 3 lifetimes. I only hope that if I go before my two children and DH, they find good homes for my beautiful fabric (and quilting books - have I mentioned my books?), not the nearest dumpster!

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Just remember, it's bad Feng Shui to put tools and hard things under the bed. It will disrupt your sleep - but fabric would actually help you sleep better. lol
    Ok... well, uh... we're pretty laid-back here but... no, employees are NOT permitted to have beds in their office spaces!

:|

Blog Entries
    I love wicker picnic baskets as extra storage. You can stack them in a corner or put them up on a shelf or anywhere. I have 15 of all sorts shapes and sizes. They don't all have fabric in them but they are great for storage. They are easily tucked away in any space. My grandma used to crochet so she kept alot of her yarn in plastic trash cans in her bedroom. They were decorative ones so they didn't look odd. My son gave me a ceramic canister set with birdhouses on it and I have them on little shelves above my work table and I store stuff in them.

I also love love little drawers. I have picked up little spice cabinets with drawers in them and they are lined up on my work table. I store my buttons and small templates and shoelaces I use for the loop on my hotpads in them.

I also have several old antique sewing machine drawers and I have them stacked and I keep my threads in them.

There are lots of ideas for storage if you look around. I love the wire baskets and I have a few in my living room. I store things in them also.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Ok... well, uh... we're pretty laid-back here but... no, employees are NOT permitted to have beds in their office spaces!

:|
    Naps are proven to boost productivity. lol

I was talking about stashing fabric under the bed in the master bedroom.

Blog Entries
    The other day, my grown DD was staring in amazement at my spare bedroom....the boxes of fabric, etc. have grown to overwhelm the room (well, there is still walking room around the bed). And I'm trying to reorganize my sewing room so the spare bed was piled with various boxes of "essential" stuff. I told her that this was the stuff that I used on a regular basis and asked her if she had any ideas about storing it. Her comment? "Mom, you got way too much stuff!" :lol:
    You better watch out!! Your daughter just might report you to "Horders"!! :lol: Some people simply don't understand us quilters! :wink: :wink:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlylace
    When the cost of fabirc goes up this year, all of us stashers will be very happy that we stashed!!!!
    Amen to that!!! When I look at it that way, I'm saving so-o-o-o-o much money!! :lol: :thumbup:

LOL... Just need a little of this comes to mind when I think of this stash, and a little of that, and that, and that too, :) Hmmm. My Bad !! ( and don't think I'll give it up ) :) Think I'm hanging out w/a bunch of enablers. (If this was AA we'd have to go get a tody after the meeting) or in this case stop by the LQS going home from the meeting !! :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    I don't know what I'm going to do when I run out of room. Most of my stash is at my Sister's house. You should see the look on her face when I show up with more fabric :lol: I think she needs to buy a bigger place for my stash! :twisted:
    You can bring it over here. I will store it for you.

:-D ;-)

Ummm, no she can't. As long as she keeps bringing it over here, I've got more to choose from!

My daughter and daughter in law had come over and I was showing them fabrics that I had pulled together for the grand kids quilts. As I was puttering here and there looking for that one piece of fabric that I just knew was the ONE, I could hear my two quietly laughing behind my back and one of them said to another, do you think we should have mom put in a fabric intervention? I simply turned and very snuggly said.. "well you just got bumped down on a quilt for Christmas". Two faces dropped. I just love those two when they get together. Now if I could get them each learn how to use the new sewing machine I had gotten for them so when I go, my fabric will have a happy home. Nhaaaa..

I have heard of someone driving their car around with a plastic tub full of fabric stashed in the trunk. That's thinking "outside of the box" I guess.

I wouldn't want to take a chance that someone would rear-end me and ruin my fabric. Personally, I prefer adding shelving clear up to the ceiling--which I have on two walls.

My DD is very worried about me. She doesn't sew (that seems strange).

Blog Entries
    rofl, sounds like we all have stuff and need to get organized!

Blog Entries
    DD is all about this quilt she wants me to make "just like Mamaw made" which was cut every piece by hand with cardboard cereal box templates and machine pieced and hand quilted. I say to her, Come over here and sit down and I'll show you how to use this equipment.

My friend stored some stash in her trunk well actually it was over flowing and they had a flat tire,need I say more?O

Just remember 'She who dies with the most fabric wins'!

Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    OMG!!!! I guess I need to be hosewhipped!!! I wish I had known about this board 3 months ago when we moved into our new house. I threw out 4 large stretchy garbage bags full of scraps!! I'm sorry...really!!! Had I known I would have saved them to give away....but I also did not think I would ever use them before I take that Quilted Highway to Heaven!!! But I promise from now on I will advertise before tossing!!!
    You're forgiven.

Blog Entries
    My son's sentiments exactly. It is beginning to be mine also as I prepare to move to a Sr. apartment. In making this preparation, I found that a fairly large bag, made from some of the fabric is easier to store than boxes or plastic totes. They stack and stack and stack. I separate the prints from the plain and even have a bag for left over batting. I make labels for the fabric from the bottom up to know whatand how many yards of each is in the bags.

My husband tells me if I get any more "stuff" we will have to move out. Others suggest he build on another room.
    But isn't it fun? Finding a stash here and there is my only enjoyment, like finding old friends.
    Move over, I want to be in the picture with all the rest of you.
    Carol J.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettiptibbs
    If it's fabric,never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I in my LQS the other day and one lady was saying she has fabric piled up in every room and her shed is full to.

So, what's an extra shower for!! LOL :lol:

I'm hanging on to all fabric and when I go to the Great Quilt Shop above I'm asking all my quilty friends to come over and drink a toast to me and divide up the spoils.
    A gal can NEVER have to much fabric, tools or sewing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    Overheard in the shop today...

"Oh, dear, where'll I put all this new fabric?"

"I don't know... put it somewhere 'up' ."

"But we're out of 'up' "!
    Better have a BIG sale!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    I don't know what I'm going to do when I run out of room. Most of my stash is at my Sister's house. You should see the look on her face when I show up with more fabric :lol: I think she needs to buy a bigger place for my stash! :twisted:
    Wow... nice sister. Does she quilt? If not, watch out... she might be tempted to start just to downsize your stash. :lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast