Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheard at Joanne's

Every apir of scissors I have has my name of them. If my DH wants a pair I would say to him "If it has my name on it you can not use"Caught DD using a pair to cut paper with one day. Took her to the store and made her use her money to buy me another pair. Never used my scissors again.

Poor man. After paying for the replacement scissors, maybe he'll learn to buy his own pair and use them.

My dh has his own scissors in his desk drawer and in his garage. I keep scissors in the kitchen and in my desk drawer for dh and others to use. My dgd has her own in her room. It really helps protect my scissors in that my sewing room is upstairs. I have 3 pair sitting out on the cutting table in a holder. They are labeled- Paper, Batting, and Fabric. Plus I have smaller scissors on my machines for clipping threads.

Funny thing happened yesterday though. I'm rearranging, decluttering, destashing in my sewing room. Started cleaning out the tool drawer - made a pocket thing to put screwdrivers, pliers, etc in and hung it on the wall. I found a pair of dh's scissors in my drawer. :-0 I put a couple more nails in the wall and hang em up with my hammer. Later, last night, I told dh to come on up and look at all my progress and showed him his scissors. He didn't seem to believe they should be upstairs. LOL. They aren't there anymore.

Bad, Bad, Bad, shame on him. Bet he never does that again.
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

Quote Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
    What I don't get is a man, who is smart enough to go in search of a replacement pair of scissors before she finds out, isn't smart enough to not use her sewing scissors in the first place.
    HA--I get it. The good sewing scissors are the first ones that came into view. I know my husband would not take the time to look any further.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    We have a rule at my house - you touch my scissors and I go buy a new pair. DH didn't think that was a big deal until I told him how much a new pair would cost. I bought him a whole bunch of cheap scissors and put them all over the house in various drawers, so now he uses them.

On a side note - a friend of mine got tired of her husband using her good scissors so she bought a bunch of suitcase padlocks. She puts the padlock on the handles so he can't open them to cut anything and the key is on a chain around her neck. Pretty clever idea.
    That is tooooo funny! Everyone in my house has been warned - I also bought several cheap pairs and have them all over the house. So far, no problems, but I will have to remember the padlocks!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Uh oh! Busted!!!! Sure hope he can find the scissors or his life will be miserable. LOL!!!
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Blog Entries
    Must be a universal problem. If I moved his tools I would be in trouble. Wonder why they have a double standard? I have several cheap pair around the house for everyone else to use and mine are upstairs. All my guys are pretty good about staying out of mine since they have to travel so far (upstairs to get them. lol

Years ago, I caught my husband on the front step cutting his heavy fingernails with my Gingers. He was lucky they didn't land in his heart! Such a look on his face--Oops! I've been caught.
    SandyQuilter

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I think its a perfect reason to get a brand new SHARP pair of scissors.. Why sweat the small stuff?

I give him alot of credit for running around to replace his OOOOOOPS..

I remember when DH tried to use my Ginghers to cut metal with. I really threw a fit and he never touched them again. I made sure he had lots of crappy scissors to use in the future.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!
    I am in love with the Gingher brand of scissors and got 8 new pair in various sizes for Christmas and their Rotary cutter and blades too! My husband teases me cause I am so careful with them and always, always, always put them back in their cases! 80)
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Blog Entries
    LOL and telling my DH as well...hahaha
    If you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love. :-)
    Donna

This story is priceless! Did you start laughing in the store?

I did the same thing. Besides he has to walk upstairs to get mine !

Funny. My husband used my brand new Fiskars to cut moose hide. They were the left handed ones and he's right handed. He couldn't figure out why they hurt his hand. lol He and his buddy were making a black powder bag. I made him buy me another new pair. He has never touched my scissors again. He always asks if I have something in my sewing room and never uses ANYTHING without permission-not even MY duct tape-he has his own-if he can't find it, that's his problem! lol

That is a funny story! I have had my hubby and kids trained for a longggggggggg time not to touch my sewing scissors. They were threatened enough not to otuch them. Most men feel whats the difference. But quilters and sewers alike all know the difference! Luann
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Quote Originally Posted by sewnbug View Post
    Funny. My husband used my brand new Fiskars to cut moose hide. They were the left handed ones and he's right handed. He couldn't figure out why they hurt his hand. lol He and his buddy were making a black powder bag. I made him buy me another new pair. He has never touched my scissors again. He always asks if I have something in my sewing room and never uses ANYTHING without permission-not even MY duct tape-he has his own-if he can't find it, that's his problem! lol
    LOL reminded me that a couple of months ago I bought hot pink duct tape. Now I know he leaves mine alone.

My husband has never bothered my scissors. I bought the first good pair back when they cost about 3 hours wages with a coupon! He respects tools and considers my things tools, too.

He trained all our boys the same but they make jokes about it and me.

The husband in JA is going to have to admit what he did. I would know if any of my scissors were replaced with new ones.

My husband does not use my scissors, but my Dad used my Mother's scissors when I was rather young to cut inner tubes! For those of you who don't know what that are, tires had inner tubes inside them. They were thick, black rubber! Like I said, I was young, but I still remember that! May Mom was really upset with him, and He bought her some new scissors. We were not able to have scissors all over the house like I do now and like some of the others have said here, but Daddy used the old pair for cutting things, leaving Mother's alone.

Kathy

A few years ago, when I was just learning to quilt, I hand-pieced and appliquéd about 12 blocks to go in my first quilt. My hubby decided to help me get "organized", and straightened up my sewing room. I couldn't find my quilt blocks ANYWHERE, until I took out the trash--and there they were, wadded up in the garbage with a lot of useless scraps. I called my friend Dian (who was my quilting teacher) and told her what had happened, and she replied "Is he still living?" LOL!!!
    ~( ) Jeri

I THINK I have my DH trained after 40 years. He always seems to come to me with the pair of scissors he's found to ask if it's okay to cut so and so with these.

My Bf only did this once (I found them in the kitchen), they were replaced with an upgraded pair that cost him dearly. He has not used/touched the replacements! Love all the stories - what great giggle to cheer up a gloomy day.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Power Poster
    Funny how territorial we are about our good scissors!

If that's the "worst" mistake that is made, life is still good. (After we get new scissors, of course!)

My DH never goes into my craft room without asking first. That being said, my scissors are all marked in Sharpie on the outside of the blades as to what they can be used for! Heaven help him if he uses the one's marked "sewing" for anything but fabric. Of course, I can't keep a pair in the kitchen drawer, they keep disappearing, so I buy cheapies from the dollar store.

Quote Originally Posted by hsweany View Post
    While I was at the cutting table a man came over and asked for a specific kind of scissors. The girl told him that they didn't carry that brand, but she could help him find some similar. The man said no thanks. They had to be exactly the same. He had used his wife's sewing scissors to cut tin and he had to replace them before she found out. I was sure to tell DH about this, just in case.
    Time to send him to Ace Hardware, too.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast