Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheard at Joanne's

Red face Overheard at Joanne's

While I was at the cutting table a man came over and asked for a specific kind of scissors. The girl told him that they didn't carry that brand, but she could help him find some similar. The man said no thanks. They had to be exactly the same. He had used his wife's sewing scissors to cut tin and he had to replace them before she found out. I was sure to tell DH about this, just in case.
    Holly

That is such a funny story. We know how we all are about our scissors and I know in my house, they always keep trying to use them on the sly. I will make sure to pass this story along to my household too.
    Michelle

Blog Entries
    ooops! don't want to be in his shoes
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Sure wouldn't want to him if he doesn't find a pair.
    Penny aka PLS 1946

OH NO , DH know to never ever use my scissors unless he asks. He's learned from experience.

We have a rule at my house - you touch my scissors and I go buy a new pair. DH didn't think that was a big deal until I told him how much a new pair would cost. I bought him a whole bunch of cheap scissors and put them all over the house in various drawers, so now he uses them.

On a side note - a friend of mine got tired of her husband using her good scissors so she bought a bunch of suitcase padlocks. She puts the padlock on the handles so he can't open them to cut anything and the key is on a chain around her neck. Pretty clever idea.

Blog Entries
    Back years ago my ex used my scissors to cut vinyl flooring. No that's not why he's my ex but it should have been LOL.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

LOL at first post and at KSDOT!!!!

My dh asked me if I have whatever he needs in my sewing room, he will even call me at work to make sure he can use it before he does. Also, we have a rule, he doesn't go into my sewing room and I stay out of his garage. His rule works for me.

Reminds me of the time I found my good fiskars scissors in my husband's tools in the garage...he didn't know how they got there...lol!
    Lynn

Oh I bet he is in trouble if he gets home with no replacement sissors. I think I would have suggested a LARGE bouquet of fat 1/4's and a gift certificate , to go with the confession.. that is bound to happen.
    Last edited by Lori S; 01-16-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    He's in big TROUBLE (rofl). Hope he finds the Exact scissors. Thanks for sharing the chuckle.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Oh my!!!! Too bad he probably doesn't know about message boards - we could lead him directly to the new scissors. And hopefully they weren't an old(er) pair - he may not find them....
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

i like the response that said if DH used her scissors she gets to buy a new pair. That guy in Joann's may have learned a lesson. Hope it's not too late LOL
    Charlie DiSante

Power Poster
    That poor man! He is probably trying to replace them before she finds out. He is soooo delusional, she will notice the switch up. It's not like replacing the kid's gold fish when one happens to kick the bucket. I always "guided" the goldfish choice with an eye to replacement.

That brings back memories. In my former life that involved antique airplanes, the significant other used my Gingers to cut fabric for airplane wings then got glue all over them. I found them back in my sewing stuff but I could not be fooled. I made him replace them. I still have those scissors and all of his pinking shears, but not him.
    Sweet Caroline

I have house scissors everywhere just so this doesn't happen ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    DH's do some crazy things! Mine once used linen handtowels when he was working on the car...
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yikes...he is dead where he stands..poor old guy....but he knew he messed up....shame...

What I don't get is a man, who is smart enough to go in search of a replacement pair of scissors before she finds out, isn't smart enough to not use her sewing scissors in the first place.

Blog Entries
    Maybe it's just me. I don't get all bent out of shape about things like this. My husband would never dream of trying to do the ole switcharoo on me. I would not make a big deal of it if he ruined something of mine. My relationship with him is much more important to me than a pair of scissors. When you lose everything you have in the blink of an eye, you realize that things are just "things". And when I almost lost him, I knew I'd never "sweat the small stuff" again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
    What I don't get is a man, who is smart enough to go in search of a replacement pair of scissors before she finds out, isn't smart enough to not use her sewing scissors in the first place.
    Some men live by the philosophy that it is better/quicker/easier to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission. When my boys were growing up, I kept my Ginghers hidden, and only used them for fabric. 25 years later, they are still quite sharp. Like others, I keep cheap scissors around the house so DH isn't tempted to use my good ones.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    My son trys to snag them every now and then, so I bought him a selection of different child craft scissors, so now he leaves mine alone.
    Bonnie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    Maybe it's just me. I don't get all bent out of shape about things like this. My husband would never dream of trying to do the ole switcharoo on me. I would not make a big deal of it if he ruined something of mine. My relationship with him is much more important to me than a pair of scissors. When you lose everything you have in the blink of an eye, you realize that things are just "things". And when I almost lost him, I knew I'd never "sweat the small stuff" again.
    Amen. It's much easier to replace a pair of scissors than my sweetie.

That is funny, not so much for his poor wife. Mine are so much a part of me I think I would know even if they were just the same.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast