Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Park Model RV for sewing studio? >

Park Model RV for sewing studio?

Park Model RV for sewing studio?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 AM

Default Park Model RV for sewing studio?

Curious....i looked at a few online. They are pretty neat! While I have the room, but not the $$ for one and the "hook up"... Just curious if anyone has a "park model" for their sewing studio?

sandy
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 AM

That would be ok if you had all the hook ups, air conditioning, heat and such. I wouldn't like a separate studio from the house, I'm in the basement and some days that's a pain. I have a friend who has a separate place to go to and she loves it. It's all in what you want I guess. I would worry about break ins and losing my machines!
Old 04-15-2014, 04:29 AM

A few years ago a friend of ours owned a self-storage business. She had a park model set up behind the main office. She used it as a sewing studio and temporary "day-home". When the employee was in the office, she would be back there sewing away. She had her machine set up in the bedroom and her 10 needle in the dining room. She was there in case she were to be needed in the office, but far enough away to not always be hounded by customers wanting to talk to her about getting a "deal" on rent. It was really nice. She could just close the door and leave and not have to put stuff away. Like having a private studio.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
That would be ok if you had all the hook ups, air conditioning, heat and such. I wouldn't like a separate studio from the house, I'm in the basement and some days that's a pain. I have a friend who has a separate place to go to and she loves it. It's all in what you want I guess. I would worry about break ins and losing my machines!
Oh I realize that there is much more to just having the RV. We live in the country so I feel fairly safe ...break ins happen anywhere. We can't justify doing this. Just "dreaming". There are some nice ones!
@sandy
Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM

I have looooots of really fun dreams about quilting spaces.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Interesting idea, I am not sure there would be enough room for a longarm unless park models are wider than mobile RVs.

But for all other sewing machines, it could be a good option.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM

My vacation home is a "park model" RV - 10 ft x 70 ft. No room large enough (2 bedrooms) for a long arm, though. Although the living room could probably handle one...don't think DH would like that arrangement, though. LOL
Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 AM

If you can find an old mobil home with the two bedrooms in the center that were separated by a folding wall, you could certainly set up a long arm quilting frame in that. If the two bedrooms are in the center of the mobil home and not a supporting wall, you could take out the center wall. Most of those had huge closets in both bedrooms located in the ends which would be wonderful for storing fabric and supplies. In Nebraska the Geer company made some very sturdy ones. (They are now out of business but if you can find one they are old and cheap).
Old 04-16-2014, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't like a separate sewing room. Would want to be in my house, I always need to do something not associated with sewing.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM

My solution to this problem was to ask the DH for a separate building. We had lived in this old farmhouse through several renovations to make it livable for someone who had become accustomed to the suburban way of life offered through base housing in about a dozen Air Force Bases. When we relocated to TN from NC, we pretty much knew what we wanted in our permanent home; but didn't realize what was involved into bringing a 1900's house up to those expectations. I am, and always have been, a sewing/quilting person. He was an administrative type paper work person, with very few skills in the building/remodeling phases that one runs into when such as this is entered into. He had the money, and I had the dream.

Quickly, we found out the disadvantages of living and remodeling in the same space.....I had sewing machines everywhere, in every corner of every room in this house. Sawdust, lumber, mildew, dust, dirt, you name it, we dealt with it--sometimes not too graciously. We soon knew that this house was not going to hold living and sewing enough for us--so we started looking for another option--and the most viable one turned out to be either a used mobile home or a newly constructed outbuilding. And after countless trips 50-100 miles round-trip, someone told us to go see the Mennonites (spell?) in Clark Range--the magic solution. We had them build a 14x32 foot storage type facility, shell only, and they delivered it on a roll-back. (I never even knew they used motorized vehicles) We then spent a BUNCH of money on finishing the inside to accommodate a full bathroom and bedroom/living room section on one end, and my sewing area all the way to the end of the rest of it. It is beautiful on the inside of it, because we were able to use my son's best friend who is a master sheetrock finisher.

If you walk into the space now, you would never recognize it for the beauty--I have it so cram full of machines, cabinets, fabric, shelves, my long arm table and machine up and down the center of it, and a little trail for getting around to everything that goes on out there. But it works for me, and occasionally I can get a sister, or daughter, or granddaughter to help me clean it up when it gets to be overwhelming.

I have given some thought to posting a picture or two, but one, I don't know how to post one, and two, it is never presentable enough to show off. Maybe someday. I have made dozens of quilts, my son has quilted dozens of quilts, and I have given several quilting classes out there. It is my dream space, come true because of a good hearted man and good help that is hard to find in a rural country setting such as offered here in Middle Tennessee.