Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: which part of the process is your LEAST favorite?

I have a Flynn but get very flustered each time I try to use it. Any tips?

I love getting the quilt back from the LAQ, but then I dread, dread, attaching the binding. Don't mind hand sewing it after front attached, but soooo bulky and heavy.

OMG! That is my very fav part!! I love the planning. Have you tried tricks like buying a focal print and picking fabrics from that? Or using one of the online planning sites? Or taking a color class? Hey, I'll pick colors for you and you can cut the pieces for me (my least fav part) :)

I like the whole process from thinking about it, and dreaming in color, to gathering the fabric, getting a pattern (maybe the other way around) I LOVE cutting, and sewing, layering is just OK for me, but I hate to do the quilting. I like bindings, cause I have a slick way to do them (even taught a class). I have to do the quilting cause I can't send all of them out to be quilted. Soooo, I have somewhere close to 50 tops! But I'm in the 2010 Challenge to finish one every month. That should reduce the number a little.

:lol:

Blog Entries
    I would say the final pressing too!

for me it is the quilting. My sewing machine is a brothers VX-1120, a Wally World item, and it has NOTHING special about it, not even a quilting foot available. Patiently waiting for when God is ready to give me one, looks up to see if He is smiling or not :-)

I don't hate any of it but I guess the word is anxious,I want the part I am doing at the moment to end so I can get on to the next part and then be finished so I can start a new project. I love the part where you get to start a NEW PROJECT>

It all depends. If I'm following a pattern then no problem. When I'm doing my own thing and have to decide what borders and the final quilting design OMG. Hand or machine quilting doesn't bother me, I guess its the artistic process that can trip me up. Hours of looking through books and surfing until I finally make up my mind.

Blog Entries
    hands down, quilting..i love cutting and piecing..

Because of fibromyalgia pain, the cutting, measuring, in other words, the bending/physical part is my least favorite.
    I love getting started on a project and love the feel of the fabrics etc. but the pain takes away from it all. :?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Making the sandwich. Really hate it.
    That's mine right there. UGH.

I used to dislike sandwiching until I found plastic clamps at Lowe's Hardware. Now I clamp the backing down to one side of my cutting table....smooth it out and clamp the other side. Add the batting.......smooth and reclamp, add the top....smooth and reclamp and then pin away. I can do it so quickly now that I don't mind it but boy do I miss those tools when I am at my Dad's......LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    I used to dislike sandwiching until I found plastic clamps at Lowe's Hardware. Now I clamp the backing down to one side of my cutting table....smooth it out and clamp the other side. Add the batting.......smooth and reclamp, add the top....smooth and reclamp and then pin away. I can do it so quickly now that I don't mind it but boy do I miss those tools when I am at my Dad's......LOL!
    What kind of clamps? This sounds really interesting. Getting down on all fours to pin a quilt is getting harder and harder.

Sandwiching and deciding how it should be quilted.

Banned
    Binding, binding, binding.

Let me say it again.

Binding.

Blog Entries
    I hate sandwiching. Thats why I have so many tops lying on my shelves.

The only thing I ever hate doing is anything I cannot seem to get the hang of (and not just making quilts, but life in general). Sometimes, it's an awkward piecing situation that doesn't seem to get any better as I go along and sometimes it's machine quilting (I need a LOT of practice). All the other areas of quilt-making I like because I know how to do them and they don't fight back.

Blog Entries
    I love everything but the quilting part! If I could just make tops and have someone else quilt them, I'd be in Heaven!
    :)

I don't really dread any of the process, but I have a hard time choosing the right color combinations, which is frustrating at times. I literally pace the LQS for hours, pulling fabric, putting it back, pulling, putting, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kasmitty1
    I don't really dread any of the process, but I have a hard time choosing the right color combinations, which is frustrating at times. I literally pace the LQS for hours, pulling fabric, putting it back, pulling, putting, etc. etc.
    Oh dear! Would there be any joy for you in ordering fabrics on-line that are already coordinated? My eldest daughter went to Joann's on President's Day and had a similar problem. She left there pretty quickly and came here to visit; I gave her some of my catalogs, such as Connecting Threads, to take home with her. She was quite delighted by the coordinated sets shown in the catalogs.

I like Freddy Moran's approach to coordinating fabrics. She says if 10 are good together, 100 are better. She's got to be the Queen of Scrap and I really like her work. She likes to put black accents in her quilts; polka dots, stripes, plaids,etc, and it's very striking. :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    I like Freddy Moran's approach to coordinating fabrics. She says if 10 are good together, 100 are better. She's got to be the Queen of Scrap and I really like her work. She likes to put black accents in her quilts; polka dots, stripes, plaids,etc, and it's very striking. :mrgreen:
    share her site with us?!

Quote Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    What kind of clamps? This sounds really interesting. Getting down on all fours to pin a quilt is getting harder and harder.
    I bought 2 sets of these clamps and boy I have to say they are the best investments I ever made and my back loves me for it......LOL!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_202726-52800...Ntk=i_products

The nice thing about these clamps is that they open really wide so they would fit the side of just about any table.

Blog Entries
    For me it is the squaring up. So tedious and than for some reason there is always one block that is off by 1/2 in. Don't know why, can't figure that one out.

I love every aspect of quilting usually but lately it's the sandwiching - getting the backing to lay flat and then to be straight and all...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast