Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: which part of the process is your LEAST favorite?

definetly borders and binding, i am planning a borderless quilt for one of my next ones :)

Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    Quote Originally Posted by KBunn
    Ok...this is going to sound terrible but it's the acutal quilting that I dread sometimes. I love the planning, cutting and peicing phases. I dont mind the endless pressing and sandwhiching parts. But hand quilting takes so long and I am still learning to machine quilt...so it's the phase of the process that frustrates me the most.
    I am with you on this! I machine quilt, and it seems that it takes me longer to do all of this than putting it all together. I keep looking - how many more 'rows' or panels to do :shock:
    I used to feel that way, then I got my Flynn system. I quilted a queen size quilt in 7 hours. 7 hours, how crazy fast is that??
    I know this is off topic but have been debating on buying the flynn system is it hard to load and how easy is the learning process
    Billie
    Caddo mills tx

snipping all the threads and FINALLY quilting it without puckering the backing!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Washing and pressing the fabric before cutting. Usually I never wash my fabrics for my quilts. I HATE pressing yardage and trying to get it all straight so I get a straight grain.
    Oh, and binding. I really really hate binding.

HAHAHA - we are all fussing about different aspects of quilting - but, admit it - we all LOVE it and will continue to make quilts until we DIE!

love cutting and planning and sewing but I HATE binding. Not so bad now that I am getting the machine binding down pretty darned good, but still don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    Quote Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    I like Freddy Moran's approach to coordinating fabrics. She says if 10 are good together, 100 are better. She's got to be the Queen of Scrap and I really like her work. She likes to put black accents in her quilts; polka dots, stripes, plaids,etc, and it's very striking. :mrgreen:
    share her site with us?!

/excerpt6rycasehttp://images.google.com/images?hl=e...s/fm/index.htm

If you Google Freddy Moran you cand find more.............

Quote Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    Quote Originally Posted by lfw045
    I used to dislike sandwiching until I found plastic clamps at Lowe's Hardware. Now I clamp the backing down to one side of my cutting table....smooth it out and clamp the other side. Add the batting.......smooth and reclamp, add the top....smooth and reclamp and then pin away. I can do it so quickly now that I don't mind it but boy do I miss those tools when I am at my Dad's......LOL!
    What kind of clamps? This sounds really interesting. Getting down on all fours to pin a quilt is getting harder and harder.
    Those are really good! I'll get some. DH goes to Lowes and Harbor Freight all the time, and he can pick the up for me.
    Thanks!!

I am so with you on this! I LOVE the designing and piecing of the quilt but when it comes to the actual quilting, I procrastinate! Right now I have 4 quilts all sandwiched and ready for the quilting and working on a 5th! I machine quilt, but just don't enjoy it! Can't afford to send it out, so I must get to get eventually!

I dread the binding, it never comes out like I would like

Marjpf -
    I am lucky cuz my husband will do the ripping for me - he likes to sit in my sewing room and chat with me while he is ripping.

piecing everything after the first block. I love the quilting process, I guess because there is always room for improvement.

Blog Entries
    I really hate adding the borders too! The sandwiching is so easy to me. I alway have to rip on everything at some time or another, I'm used to it so it don't brother me.

Cookie

Ok...this is going to sound terrible but it's the acutal quilting that I dread sometimes. I love the planning, cutting and peicing phases. I dont mind the endless pressing and sandwhiching parts. But hand quilting takes so long and I am still learning to machine quilt...so it's the phase of the process that frustrates me the most.
    I'm with you on this, cause I don't hand quilt anymore, to hard on the hands. And I haven't learned to machine quilt yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I am with you on this! I machine quilt, and it seems that it takes me longer to do all of this than putting it all together. I keep looking - how many more 'rows' or panels to do :shock:
    Definitely the quilting part. I especially hate the marking!

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    I dislike the piecing the most. I have learned over the years to just go ahead and do the parts I like the least so I can get to the parts I like the best. I love picking out fabric and imagining what I am going to do with it. All the steps after that until I get to the handquilting are just like a "job". As a child my brothers and I hated to do the dishes. As an adult I have learned to "just do" mindlessly, many things so that I could get to the best parts.
    The piecing is the part I love best.

HATE doing the sandwich. I have worked from the center out, thinking I was being oh so careful, only to have the backing off in one corner,,aaarrrgh!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I have a special situation. This is a very OLD trailer and I must turn off the heat to stop and press anything or I will trip the circuit breaker. Sometimes I feel like Lisa Douglas on "Green Acres". It would not bother me as much, I think, if I did not have to remind myself to stop, turn off heat, turn on iron, press my pieces, turn off iron, turn heat back on. Yikes! Can't wait for spring when I will not have to have the heat on.....
    I had that problem at a trailer we lived in. If you didn't turn off all the lights, it would blow the breaker if you turned on the iron to press. A bummer for sure. Glad I am not there anymore.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Lets start with - I love planning a quilt - choosing colors, fabrics and placement. I continue to love the piecing and watching it all "come together". Now for the bad part. I don't concern myself with which direction the seam allowances are pressed, as long as they are flat. If they resist, I chop the crap out of them and wack them with a rubber mallott and press some more! I send my quilts out to a longarmer because I cannot stand the bulk of trying to quilt a large quilt (for me it's like trying to try on 100 pairs of shoes in a 5 gallon pouch). So when I get a quilt back from the quilter, all I have to do it hand stitch the binding to the back and add sleeves........... and then I kiss it!

My least favorite is being at work wishing I could go home and quilt! My second least is definitely that final press. How did our ancestors do it? They were super women!

Squaring everything up is the least favorite part for me along with finding a place to beable to sandwich things together since I don't have much room

Least Favorite: Finishing. Most of my quilts are not completely finished! :shock: There is something scary about moving from the top to the borders and beyond! I really would like to overcome that!

My favorite aspect: cutting tiny detailed pieces, such as this tree I made for a raw-edge applique quilt. There's something relaxing about it, and I don't have to worry how they come out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Actually, if someone haded me a quilt to lap quilt, i would be thrilled. That is the most relaxing part of the who process fro me.

Actually, if someone handed me a quilt to lap quilt, i would be thrilled. That is the most relaxing part of the who process fro me.

My worst part is the repitition of doing anything over...and over...and over. That's why I quit sewing clothing - too boring to sew another sleeve! This must be some kind of A.D.D. thing. So, I have to break up my cutting and piecing. I don't like to piece the same block over and over so I'll so a part of a quilt and then move onto a different part. Does this make sense? It does to me so it doesn't get boring - but then - I'm a little weird!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast