Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16

Thread: Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

I hate those little tails that hang off of bobbins. I bought a package of hole re-enforcements and put the "tail"on the top (flat side) of the bobbin and then put the re-enforcement on top of that. I also write 100% cotton on the re-enforcement so I know which thread is in the bobbin. If there's nothing written on the re-enforcement then it's not 100% cotton thread.

I also took a sharpie and marked on two of my bobbins so I'll also know if the black or white thread that is on the bobbin is bobbin thread for embroidering.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

Blog Entries
    For a neat "binding buddy" buy a foam swimming noodle at the dollar store, cut it into 6-8 inch lengths. Run a long shoe string or length of bias tape thru the center hole, long enough to go around your neck, then role your binding around it as you press it in half. It will unroll easily as you sew the binding to the quilt.

I use an old cafeteria table as a cutting table . To make it taller I cut 4- 14inch lengths of PVC pipe in a diameter to fit the legs, stuck one on each leg, now table is right height.

Instead of buying a "wooden iron" use one half of a spring type clothes pin.

Sharpen the pointy end of a wooden chop stick, use as a stiletto or a point turner. The other end can be used as a wooden iron

Make a Muslin pillow case for your portable ironing board. It can be removed and washed.

My best idea????? To stop, go to the bathroom, and find something to eat. sorry - it's late, I'm tired, and I can imagine any idea I could come up with is something someone else has told me about!!!! Welcome to the quilting world!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I plan to make some pajama pants for my 'grands'. Cut off selveges will work fine as "ties" in them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus View Post
    Speaking of cleaning out the lint.... I use pipe cleaners for that. They are long enough to reach way down in the bottom corners and thin enough to pass between the plate and the bobbin thingy.
    Looking at you avatar are you into scouting?
    I tried pipe cleaners as well but I have also tried long handle paint brushes which has more control going into top section.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    save your threads and put them in trees for birds to use in their nest next spring
    I just started doing this. My bushes and trees have thread and wool yarn in them, so pretty.

QM
    My DH made several (for me and friends) when I had a Bernina that did not play well with cones. He took a 5" round of a lovely hardwood scrap and drilled a hole partly into the center into which he put a 3" of 1/2" dowel, which he pounded and glued into place, then ran a screw into it from the bottom. At one side of the flat base, he drilled a tiny hole and inserted copper welding rod, about 12" long, with the end twisted at right angles ending in a pig tail shape through which the thread goes from the spool. Since this was from shop scraps, the cost was only a bit of glue and 1 screw.

I don't have room to keep all of my machines out at one time. When I have to put my serger away, instead of unthreading it, I pull about a foot of extra thread off each cone before I cut it. I then gather the extra length of threads and put them in a loose coil on top of the serger and secure it with a small piece of blue painters tape. When I need to use the serger the next time I have long enough thread tails to tie on a new color without having to rethread the entire machine. I stick the piece of painters tape tape on the side of my serger below the hand wheel wheel until I need it.

Here's one - save your scraps (the ones you know you won't use, even for crumb quilts) in a plastic grocery bag. When the bag is filled, make a quick pillow form out of muslin and stuff it with your scraps. This way you have pillow forms whenever you need one.

Good thought! But, some of us are still using sewing machines that have no computer. Works great for us!

Quote Originally Posted by maine ladybug View Post
    I would be very careful about this. I was told when I bought my machine that anything magnetic can screw up your machine. Just like the computer you are using now, there are computer parts in the new machines. Even the pin holders you can buy to have you pins out in you should keep a distance from your machine. You may want to check with your dealer before you attach the magnetic strip to your machine. JMHO

When making T-shirt quilts I needed a 15" X 18" template to cut squares, I used one of my cardboard boxes from my toddler's diaper box and cut a side of it 15x18 it worked perfectly asside from the fact I couldn't see through it...but it got the job done at no added expense!
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

Does anyone have pictures of these Christmas lights? I would love to see them.
    Brooke

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I was sewing and my machine kept stalling, I was constantly turning the hand wheel to get it to sew. I had the great idea of going right then and buy a new machine. Best idea I had while sewing. LOL.
    This sounds like a break in the electrical "flow" to the machine motor. Most likely it's because your motor brushes are worn down and need to be changed. That's an inexpensive fix. Also check your cords and plugs. If the machine is older the cords or foot pedal could need replacing.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

QM
    Everyone is gaining on me. This thread is growing faster than I can read!!!
    1.Someone mentioned a magnetic dish. Mine are "mechanic's parts dishes" from Harbor freight. The come in a number of sizes. I keep them on the window sill behind my computer. I throw pins in their direction and they attach nicely. I also use one for my metal bobbins.
    2. magnet on a telescopiong stick. My current on is from Jhittle.
    3. I also cut scraps to standard sizes and use them as leaders and followers for string piecing as Janet Leigh suggested then I have premade 4 patches for scrappy quilts
    4. I cut a slit in a plastic corn starch container. I put 'dead' sharp objects into it as I go, then put tape over it when I toss it.
    5. binder climps are great. I use a row of them on a molding strip over my closet door to hang up quilts for picture taking.
    6. I keep getting magnetic ads (bus cards). I put one into an altoids box for a portable pin/needle container for take alongs.
    7. I had that stopping problems and was sure my foot control had gone bad. It was actually just lint. I did not know you need to clean out the foot pedal when you do a major machine cleaning.
    8. change rotary cutters and needles regularly. I went to a retreat with my guild. The cutter I borrowed (out of laziness) was super dull. When I went back to my stuff to get a new blade for it, I found it was RUSTY inside. I changed blades and oiled it. I find that my guild sisters are really bad about getting rid of dull stuff. Those really slow you down and mess up your work.
    Last edited by QM; 12-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer View Post
    I buy the bright colored pencil erasers from the Dollar Tree. I snip off the part of the erasers that fits over the Pencil. I use the part that is left (kinda-sorta pyramid shaped) when pinning layers together. Stick your long pins through the layers and into the flat part of the eraser. Keeps me from sticking myself with the pins as I work. I am on blood thinners and one stick from a pin results in blood on my fabric.
    I use the foam hearing protectors that people use in noisy environments and a thin long quilting pin like the flower pins instead of the expensive Pinmoors to pin layers together before quilting. MUCH cheaper. You can get the foam hearing protectors off e-bay very cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    great ideas.
    You can also lay your blocks out on a scrap of batting and that works pretty well too. If you stack them, put a piece of tissue or plastic between the layers so the bottom of the last scrap of batting won't grab the quilt pieces on the bottom layer.

Quote Originally Posted by batikmystique View Post
    OH, awesome idea! We have wrens, cardinals and hummingbirds every year and I'm sure they would appreciate not having to work so hard to build their nests! :-)
    We have been advised NOT to use threads or strings for birds nests. They do not dry out as quickly as natural twigs, leaves, etc and the baby birds can get sick from being wet.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16