Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay Pal Spoof >

Pay Pal Spoof

Pay Pal Spoof

Old 10-08-2011, 06:42 PM

I also received a letter like that. However, they happen so often I am always one step ahead of the crooks. Good thing you keep everyone aware of this!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM

When I get anything that's supposed to be PayPal or eBay, I send it to [email protected] or [email protected], they will usually send you an email telling if it's legitimate or not. I NEVER click on the url in an email cause it can be saying Paypal or whatever but really be directing you to someplace totally different. I go to my bookmarks/favorites and use the url there.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 PM

I get them all the time.

The tip off that it is phishing or spoofing ... they do not use your real name! And if it is in junk mail too. All my official Paypal and ebay messages come thru to my main inbox, using my REAL full name.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

Good to know
Old 10-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

I used to get those phishing attempts after every transaction I had with Paypal. Someone was hacking... You can copy the email (with the full headers) and send it to Paypal to investigate. They want to know.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Thanks for alerting us!!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 PM

I just got one of those in my junk mail too. I was required to re-activate my PayPal account. Considering I don't have a Paypal account I knew it was a scam. Also had another one advising me I had won a considerable amount in the Irish Lottery! That was also a scam.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 PM

Paypal will never send you an offsite link to update information on their website. They will tell you to go to paypal.com and update the information there. I have had emails from them saying that my paypal debit card will expire, and to log onto their site, click on....(whatever profile or something?)

I also sell items on ebay, and once sold some beads and jewelry making tools and accessories. final bid was like $300 or something. After 5 days when I still hadn't received payment, I sent an ebay message to the buyer. Come to find out that someone had sent her an email stating that "my paypal account has accidently been deactivated" and that she should send a western union money order to an address in Romania. She got suspicious and contacted ebay who said that it was fraudulent and there was nothing with my account. She forwarded all the emails to paypal, but as far as I know nothing ever happened to them. They didn't get the payment, thankfully.

Now you may notice that when someone other than you bids on something and wins or doesn't win all you see is a character followed by asterisks. They way the the fraud happend in my case was the crook looked at the winner and guessed that her email address was the same as her ebay username and then added @mail.com, @yahoo.com and just happend to get lucky.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 AM

I got one too. Since I don't use pay pal , I just spamed it.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:09 AM

Thanks for the information. Where can I find the list that you were talking about that are for PayPal spam sites.