Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PEASE SOMEONE HELP; Needle turn hawaiian king size quilt >

PEASE SOMEONE HELP; Needle turn hawaiian king size quilt

PEASE SOMEONE HELP; Needle turn hawaiian king size quilt

Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Try to get Nancy Lee Chong's DVD 2 Fabric Applique Quilts. You can order it online from Pacific Rim Quilt Company: www.prqc.com She is an expert in this area. Her DVD is great and you will always have it.

She did a presentation and class for one of my quilt groups here in Phoenix. She is awesome.

The secret is folding the background material and then the applique and precisely positioning the applique. Then baste the applique in place about every 4" or so, I think it was. A form of needle applique is used.

Most of the quilters used large hoops for doing the quilting. Some just plain are used to hand quilting and prefer no hoop. Individual preference.

If you can't afford the DVD maybe you could buy it with a couple of friends and share it. Or ... you could try interlibrary loan at your local llibrary.

ali

Last edited by AliKat; 11-28-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: adding to post
Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 AM

Jackaby, I would contact Pacific Rim Quiltings. They specialize in Hawaiian quilts and have videos to help with needle turning etc. I have one that I will attempt some day but without them at the other end of the phone, I would be lost. Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by janedee View Post
I have done a lot of large applique quilts but I wouldn't attempt one like that sounds as if she would have machine stitched the applique down with a decorative stitch hope you come up with a solution
I would hope she wouldn't have done this, not if she wanted an authentic Hawaiian quilt!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM

I have not done a large Hawaiian quilt but I do a LOT of applique and I know what you are going through. If I have to do a large applique quilt, then I generally do a quilt as you go, but obviously that won't work here. But I did come up with a trick - I hate quilting frames of any kind so I simply got a piece of Lucite about 2 feet by 2 feet. The lucite is available at Home Depot - but any reasonably rigid, smooth material will do - if you have an old cutting mat, that is ideal as well. Put the board on your lap and drape the section you want to applique over it. This will allow you to pinch the fabric a bit when you are doing the needle turn and the board allows you to do your stitching without sewing yourself to the piece (which I have done, ugh....). I was finally able to master the trick of doing my needle turn by working the needle against the board without pinching the fabric but that does take practice. Hope that helps!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

I am also waiting for a good reply. This has always puzzled me too. I needle-turn applique, but only 1 block at a time. I wanted to make something bigger, but I am at a loss on how to do it with all that fabric in my hand.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
I have not done a large Hawaiian quilt but I do a LOT of applique and I know what you are going through. If I have to do a large applique quilt, then I generally do a quilt as you go, but obviously that won't work here. But I did come up with a trick - I hate quilting frames of any kind so I simply got a piece of Lucite about 2 feet by 2 feet. The lucite is available at Home Depot - but any reasonably rigid, smooth material will do - if you have an old cutting mat, that is ideal as well. Put the board on your lap and drape the section you want to applique over it. This will allow you to pinch the fabric a bit when you are doing the needle turn and the board allows you to do your stitching without sewing yourself to the piece (which I have done, ugh....). I was finally able to master the trick of doing my needle turn by working the needle against the board without pinching the fabric but that does take practice. Hope that helps!
JNCT14, Thank for the info! Will try what you suggest. I suspect there will be a learning curve, but hopefully I can pick up the knack of it. I can tell you know what I am going through, I don't know how many times I have sewed it to the knee of my jeans. LOL, Jean
Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Try to get Nancy Lee Chong's DVD 2 Fabric Applique Quilts. You can order it online from Pacific Rim Quilt Company: www.prqc.com She is an expert in this area. Her DVD is great and you will always have it.

She did a presentation and class for one of my quilt groups here in Phoenix. She is awesome.

The secret is folding the background material and then the applique and precisely positioning the applique. Then baste the applique in place about every 4" or so, I think it was. A form of needle applique is used.

Most of the quilters used large hoops for doing the quilting. Some just plain are used to hand quilting and prefer no hoop. Individual preference.

If you can't afford the DVD maybe you could buy it with a couple of friends and share it. Or ... you could try interlibrary loan at your local llibrary.

ali
Ali, I just ordered the DVD online from prqc.com. Thanks a bundle, I feel like I will be able to finish this now. What a relief!!!

Jean
Old 12-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Hi everyone, if anyone is interested, I received the DVD from PRQC. It was worth the money!!!! very detailed and I learned a lot of things.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I am new to the quilting board, and was hesitant to start a thread, but you guys have been great!

Jean