Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: PEASE SOMEONE HELP; Needle turn hawaiian king size quilt

Cool PEASE SOMEONE HELP; Needle turn hawaiian king size quilt

Has anyone ever done on a whole cloth background king size Hawaiian quilt. I have always been a machine thread play quilter, (paint with fabric dyes and then add detail with thread play.) But a very good friend of mine had ask her mom to make her a king size Hawaiian quilt. Her mother had the blue Hawaiian pattern (all in one big piece) basted to the whole cloth king size white background. Then her mom got Alzheimer. When they were cleaning out her mom's house they found the quilt, and my friend, knowing that I did quilting, ask me to finish it. I didn't know at the time what type of quilt it was, so I told her I would try. I am getting the hang of the needle turn applique, (although the indents really give me fits,) but now I am getting farther into the middle and trying to get my hand around the wad of fabric so my finger is underneath and my thumb nail on top to hold as I turn under the edge of the applique is getting almost impossible. And I am only about half way to the center of the quilt. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to handle such a huge piece? I can only do a little bit before my hand gets too tired from holding so much fabric. I have been trying to roll it tightly but I am getting to the point that that doesn't get the wad of fabric small enough. PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!I'm getting desperate!!!
    Last edited by Jakaby; 11-27-2011 at 01:42 PM.

I haven't made one, but I understand that some people use a hoop to help control the fabric while doing the applique.

Blog Entries
    either a hoop or a frame would be benificial for this project- then you are not trying to handle all that fabric at once. hoop the area you are working on- with it smooth- but not tight (it's not like embroidery- you need the fabric to have give- then the rest of the quilt can just lay beside/on you as you work on an area-
    some people really like the pvc type hoops/frames---others prefer a 12-14" wooden hoop.
    or if available a floor frame would really make it more manageable. with it hooped both hands are free'd up to work your appliques
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I haven't made one, but I understand that some people use a hoop to help control the fabric while doing the applique.
    Maybe a hoop on a stand?

Moral of your story - never agree to something until one has seen the project!

I tried an 8 inch hand held hoop but still had too much fabric. Maybe I need a hoop on a stand. Is that what you were thinking? Thanks for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    either a hoop or a frame would be benificial for this project- then you are not trying to handle all that fabric at once. hoop the area you are working on- with it smooth- but not tight (it's not like embroidery- you need the fabric to have give- then the rest of the quilt can just lay beside/on you as you work on an area-
    some people really like the pvc type hoops/frames---others prefer a 12-14" wooden hoop.
    or if available a floor frame would really make it more manageable. with it hooped both hands are free'd up to work your appliques
    OK, will get one of the hoops on a stand. Thanks for the info on how to do it. REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP!

Thank you everyone, I am new to quiltingboard, and really appreciate the quick responses,
    Jean

Power Poster
    Needle turn applique is difficult. I've only ever done smaller pieces. Would it work to do it at a large table? The table would support most of the fabric and you could work on a small spot by pinching the fabric from the top rather than holding it from the front and back. Good luck and I wish I could offer more advice but I'm stumped.

I have done a lot of large applique quilts but I wouldn't attempt one like that sounds as if she would have machine stitched the applique down with a decorative stitch hope you come up with a solution

I would use the hoop or frame but I also think I would either baste or pin down the entire pattern so I would not get to the middle and find I had stretched the background or maybe even had it too loose so I eneded up with a mess.

Try to get Nancy Lee Chong's DVD 2 Fabric Applique Quilts. You can order it online from Pacific Rim Quilt Company: www.prqc.com She is an expert in this area. Her DVD is great and you will always have it.

She did a presentation and class for one of my quilt groups here in Phoenix. She is awesome.

The secret is folding the background material and then the applique and precisely positioning the applique. Then baste the applique in place about every 4" or so, I think it was. A form of needle applique is used.

Most of the quilters used large hoops for doing the quilting. Some just plain are used to hand quilting and prefer no hoop. Individual preference.

If you can't afford the DVD maybe you could buy it with a couple of friends and share it. Or ... you could try interlibrary loan at your local llibrary.

ali
    Last edited by AliKat; 11-28-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: adding to post
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Jackaby, I would contact Pacific Rim Quiltings. They specialize in Hawaiian quilts and have videos to help with needle turning etc. I have one that I will attempt some day but without them at the other end of the phone, I would be lost. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janedee View Post
    I have done a lot of large applique quilts but I wouldn't attempt one like that sounds as if she would have machine stitched the applique down with a decorative stitch hope you come up with a solution
    I would hope she wouldn't have done this, not if she wanted an authentic Hawaiian quilt!
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

I have not done a large Hawaiian quilt but I do a LOT of applique and I know what you are going through. If I have to do a large applique quilt, then I generally do a quilt as you go, but obviously that won't work here. But I did come up with a trick - I hate quilting frames of any kind so I simply got a piece of Lucite about 2 feet by 2 feet. The lucite is available at Home Depot - but any reasonably rigid, smooth material will do - if you have an old cutting mat, that is ideal as well. Put the board on your lap and drape the section you want to applique over it. This will allow you to pinch the fabric a bit when you are doing the needle turn and the board allows you to do your stitching without sewing yourself to the piece (which I have done, ugh....). I was finally able to master the trick of doing my needle turn by working the needle against the board without pinching the fabric but that does take practice. Hope that helps!

I am also waiting for a good reply. This has always puzzled me too. I needle-turn applique, but only 1 block at a time. I wanted to make something bigger, but I am at a loss on how to do it with all that fabric in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JNCT14 View Post
    I have not done a large Hawaiian quilt but I do a LOT of applique and I know what you are going through. If I have to do a large applique quilt, then I generally do a quilt as you go, but obviously that won't work here. But I did come up with a trick - I hate quilting frames of any kind so I simply got a piece of Lucite about 2 feet by 2 feet. The lucite is available at Home Depot - but any reasonably rigid, smooth material will do - if you have an old cutting mat, that is ideal as well. Put the board on your lap and drape the section you want to applique over it. This will allow you to pinch the fabric a bit when you are doing the needle turn and the board allows you to do your stitching without sewing yourself to the piece (which I have done, ugh....). I was finally able to master the trick of doing my needle turn by working the needle against the board without pinching the fabric but that does take practice. Hope that helps!
    JNCT14, Thank for the info! Will try what you suggest. I suspect there will be a learning curve, but hopefully I can pick up the knack of it. I can tell you know what I am going through, I don't know how many times I have sewed it to the knee of my jeans. LOL, Jean

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    Try to get Nancy Lee Chong's DVD 2 Fabric Applique Quilts. You can order it online from Pacific Rim Quilt Company: www.prqc.com She is an expert in this area. Her DVD is great and you will always have it.

She did a presentation and class for one of my quilt groups here in Phoenix. She is awesome.

The secret is folding the background material and then the applique and precisely positioning the applique. Then baste the applique in place about every 4" or so, I think it was. A form of needle applique is used.

Most of the quilters used large hoops for doing the quilting. Some just plain are used to hand quilting and prefer no hoop. Individual preference.

If you can't afford the DVD maybe you could buy it with a couple of friends and share it. Or ... you could try interlibrary loan at your local llibrary.

ali
    Ali, I just ordered the DVD online from prqc.com. Thanks a bundle, I feel like I will be able to finish this now. What a relief!!!

Jean

Hi everyone, if anyone is interested, I received the DVD from PRQC. It was worth the money!!!! very detailed and I learned a lot of things.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I am new to the quilting board, and was hesitant to start a thread, but you guys have been great!

Jean