Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pellon "Nature's Touch" 100% cotton batting? >

Pellon "Nature's Touch" 100% cotton batting?

Pellon "Nature's Touch" 100% cotton batting?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Pellon "Nature's Touch" 100% cotton batting?

I just used this for the first time in a baby-quilt with mostly white kona on top and white kona backing. After washing and drying, I held it up and it looks as though light shows through the batting in certain areas but not others. It makes the quilt look translucent in spots. If you lay it down on something, it is fine but of course that's not always the case. This batting looked and felt so good and the few reviews I found were very positive comparing it to warm-and-natural. As it was on sale, I picked up 2 baby sized and one king. I purposely did this baby quilt first before doing the king and now I'm glad i did. I'd not want to gift the quilt w/ the light and dark spots. The batting itself did not appear to be too thin or splotchy. Anybody else have this happen? I now have 2 bags w/ no receipt to return it!
Old 07-18-2015, 09:33 PM

I am so sorry that you had this happen. I have never used the 100% cotton because I don't want to deal with the shrinkage, but I have used Pellon that was 80/20 with no problem. There is a scrim so not sure why that would happen. According to what I read it is 1/16th of an inch which is extremely thin. Did it lump any where in the quilt?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:38 PM

I'm using it for the first time myself. Still quilting so I don't yet know how it's going to perform. So far I love hand quilting it. Mine is a queen size so I guess I'll know when it's finished.

How far apart did you quilt it?
Old 07-18-2015, 09:47 PM

I bought a large roll of this Pellon Nature's Touch batting (90" x 20 yards) and the first half of the roll was great. About half way through the roll I noticed areas where the batting was really thin and then it got really bad. Part of the batting was too thick to use and other parts were paper thin. This batting was not inexpensive, but I had to throw away nearly half of the roll. I will never buy this brand again.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:22 AM

Sounds like a quality control issue. I didn't notice any thin spots when i sandwiched my quilt. Its a shame bc the quilt was applique'd w/ a dog looking up at banners. 60% of it white. I can't see any problem through the appliqued areas. It was very heavily quilted...medium to small meander. what I did like is that with all that quilting, it did not get stiff. but now my quilt is usable but not giftable, really. i have one more baby-quilt that is not white..do you think safe to use this one last time or would it show through dark fabrics as well?? Also would the 80/20 pose this same problem? I'm just soooo grateful i did not use this on my 113" wide king. I'd have been SICK to have this happen on that one!

ETA: wanted to add there was no clumping and this was purchased at joann's in a package and not off a bolt. No receipt. I have a crib and king size i would like to return!

Last edited by mea12; 07-19-2015 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I would send an email to Pellon. Include photos if possible. They are an established company and should address this problem. There is a Pellon rep in my long arm group and I have used a lot of their batts and never have had an issue.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:53 AM

Yes, I would think Pellon would want to know.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 AM

Thank you, everyone. I delved deeper and found more very positive testimonials for it, but I did also see one other person stating never again and she had the same issue w/ the 100% cotton. I'm not opposed to trying the 80/20 but won't buy the 100% cotton again. It looked and felt great and I was so happy because the king size is 120" wide so many are too small for this particular quilt. I'm not even sure I can find another product in that width.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:51 AM

I bought two packages of Nature's touch. Used one and had forgotten how much I did not like it until I used the second package. It leaves a lot of dust grit in my machine, I sneeze a lot, and I noticed patches of light thru the quilt. I will not use Pellon batting anymore, even if it is free! In all fairness, I do like their other products.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 AM

When buying yarn in multiples or anything in multiples always tape the receipt to one item. Make sure it is the last one to be used. That way an unused item can be returned.