Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Penn Yan NY (fingerlake area) Quilt Shops? >

Penn Yan NY (fingerlake area) Quilt Shops?

Penn Yan NY (fingerlake area) Quilt Shops?

Old 08-17-2021, 07:44 AM

Default Penn Yan NY (fingerlake area) Quilt Shops?

Heading to the Fingerlakes this week and staying in Penn Yan. Looking for quilt shops that are worth the trip! Thank you in Advance!
Mary Ann from Massachusetts
Old 08-17-2021, 12:06 PM

Golden Lane on 14 (also known as "Ada's") is a definite must!

Edgewood on Voak Road - they do not have as much as Ada does, but also carry some clothing, Carharts, boots.

Both are Mennonite shops. They will not be wearing masks. Lighting isn't great, but there are windows you can go closer to for natural lighting.

Are you staying on Keuka? Visiting wineries?

Robin
Old 08-17-2021, 12:18 PM

PS - If you are looking for "real" quilt shops (Mennonite shops are steel buildings, no decorating): Southeast of PY - Quilter's Corner in Ithaca or Pucky Huddle in Candor, Northeast of PY - Sew Pieceful in Victor or J.Madeline's in East Rochester. All would be an hour to an hour and a half from PY.

There's also a great Bernina shop, should you need any accessories.

It's a gorgeous area - literally and figuratively. Lots to see and do!

Depending on your route to PY, Tiger Lily in Utica, Patti's and Adirondak Quilts near Lake George.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:00 PM

There's also Quilty Pleasures in Geneva and Carriage House Quilts in Naples (both less than 30 mins from PY). The Witches Stitches in Painted Post. and Material Rewards in Dansville are under an hour. My favs are The Witches Stitches and Pucky Huddle, but I visit the others regularly too when I'm in town. It is a gorgeous area - enjoy your time there.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Golden Lane on 14 (also known as "Ada's") is a definite must!

Edgewood on Voak Road - they do not have as much as Ada does, but also carry some clothing, Carharts, boots.

Both are Mennonite shops. They will not be wearing masks. Lighting isn't great, but there are windows you can go closer to for natural lighting.

Are you staying on Keuka? Visiting wineries?

Robin
I think we are staying near lake seneca-we have an air bnb cottage/chalet, We are willing to drive. Any good recommendations for restaurants-prefering to eat outdoors. And yes we are also planning to visit wineries!! Any recommendations are appreciated. We have never been to that area before. thank you!
Old 08-18-2021, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
There's also Quilty Pleasures in Geneva and Carriage House Quilts in Naples (both less than 30 mins from PY). The Witches Stitches in Painted Post. and Material Rewards in Dansville are under an hour. My favs are The Witches Stitches and Pucky Huddle, but I visit the others regularly too when I'm in town. It is a gorgeous area - enjoy your time there.
So sad - Material Rewards closed earlier this year. They are going to try to maintain some sort of online presence and are doing weekly videos, but the store itself has closed.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:16 PM

Our favorite winery is Hermann Wiemer, amazing award-winning German style wines. Bully Hill is lots of fun, they have an interesting wine museum of sorts and very good restaurant w/ covered deck overlooking the lake. Wine slushies are excellent. Dr. Frank's is very popular. So many wineries - also many craft breweries. Tabora has a deli type menu with deck. Any of them, I'd double check before heading out. Covid is unfortunately ramping up again and some places have altered their hours/policies. Hunt Country in Branchport is doing curbside tastings, lol.

Ports Cafe (W Lake Rd Geneva, so Seneca Lake) is excellent. Stonecutter's or Edgar's @ Belhurst Castle. Stonecutter's is more casual and has outdoor seating. Water St. Cafe in Geneva for breakfast or lunch, but little outdoor seating (Quilty Pleasures is small, but just catty corner across the street!). Uncle Joe's in Geneva for Italian - a couple of tables on porch. Or grab pizza @ Cams in Geneva or PY - thin crust and delicious. Only Edgars would be dressy.

Watkins Glen - south end of Seneca Lake has the marina (very casual) and Seneca Harbor. The True Love, a schooner that was in a couple of movies is there and great fun to go on. It's a couple of hours, I think, so your whole day isn't committed, but something different.

Food on Keuka - Top of the Lake, Union Block (no outdoor seating?), down the east side is Olney Place for great sandwiches and cinnamon rolls. Hammondsport - Union Block in the village or Waterfront on the lake (west side, almost at end of lake) or Lakeside.

If you plan to cook/grill @ your rental, go to Morgan's in PY for fabulous CAB, the only place I buy beef. The "regular" grocery in PY is a very small Tops. In Geneva, you will have Wegmans and a WM Superstore, but there are a lot of produce stands everywhere (not open on Sundays as they are mostly Mennonite run). Depending on when you come in, you could go to the Windmill for fresh produce and a stroll about as well - although it's more like a flea market than craft market as it used to be.

Yeah - probably more than you wanted, but you can look at them online and see what appeals. Have a great time!
Old 08-19-2021, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Thanks to the one who mentioned Utica. That's my hometown and I'll need to check it out when visiting my family.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
So sad - Material Rewards closed earlier this year. They are going to try to maintain some sort of online presence and are doing weekly videos, but the store itself has closed.
I am so sorry to hear it! I haven't been there in several years but used to stop every time I visited my daughter at Geneseo. I was hoping to get there again soon so I'm glad to know not to make the trip. It was a wonderful store. Sigh....