Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfect Points? >

Perfect Points?

Perfect Points?

Old 09-22-2021, 04:56 AM

Doing the pin on either side of the point is the way I've been doing these but I've never planned on the 1-2 threads into the seam thing. That might help a lot. I'm learning so much about points and I need these lessons. I've stayed away from points for way too long. The quilt I'm starting will have quite a few I'm afraid. It's a mystery quilt so don't know what's to come next. Thank you everyone!
Old 09-22-2021, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Often the problem is the way the seams are pressed after the block is made. The point is on the bias and can be easily stretched out of shape. No steam and straight up and down press and ho scrubbing of the iron. A clapper can help "set" a seam to stay put. I have heard of some hand piecers using a eighth on a seam to elliminate the bulk at the point or pressing the seams open for the same reason. All things to think about when points are intersecting with many seams.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If I have a lot of points cut off in a quilt I name it Point Taken.
I'm up to Point Taken #3.
Haha! I love this

Points are certainly not the easiest for me and I've been making quilts for a long time.
However, I only see one of your points that is a bit off. Your block looks great.

Lots of good suggestions but honestly, your block is great.

A slight aside- I was working on units yesterday (not points but still about accuracy) and I found 2 pieces that wouldn't go together properly. On closer inspection I noticed my seam was too small on one middle piece, throwing the end result off. When I restitched it was fine.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:38 AM

I use an Elmer’s school glue stick…just a little at the point. It helps me to press the seam open so I can see exactly where I need to sew.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:49 AM

Jean, you did a great job.
I think you need to use spray starch or best press before you start cutting your fabric., and remember to press you seams, not iron, because half square triangles and flying geese are primarily bias edges. Even now, I would starch your block, wait a few minutes and PRESS (lift up and down) your seams and squares.
Very pretty block.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:56 AM

well, dang! I think that's just beautiful. I would certainly consider that up to my "perfection" standards.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I think your block looks real good.

Before I knew the correct way to do lots of things my points would come out very good. Trying for perfection was not a good thing for me.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:11 AM

For perfectly perfect points...paper piece.

Past that I find it is ALL in the pinning. When I am doing points that I really, really want to come out right I use the Clover fine Patchwork pins (they come as half yellow headed pins, half blue headed pins), which are so fine you can sew over them.

If I am in doubt about my seam allowances being entirely trustworthy, I put a pin through the point and the opposing fabric, which keeps the layers in place before I pin on either side of it.

Extra insurance: BASTE. Baste the seam with a long, easily removed stitch. That way you can see if you are getting your point sharp before committing to the tighter stitch width. That basting step shows you where you might be off and making adjustments are easy after that.

In some projects you just have to have those crisp, sharp points. Just takes time and practice.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Cut and sew carefully and if points need to be perfect, I ad a little bit of elmers washable glue and match them up before sewing. Other then that, some of my quilting is “ pointless”😂
That's exactly what I do..when you first apply the glue stick, press the pieces together, then flip back 1 piece 1/4 inch..the glue will still be wet so you can wiggle the pieces or remove and reapply. Until you get used to this method, it's helpful to have a piece of fabric with a 1'4 in line sewn on it to use for comparison.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:16 AM

I think your points are great! I am not a person that can pick out flaws easily. If I want perfect points I paper piece.