Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners???? >

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

Old 11-12-2009, 05:31 PM

CHECK THE WEB UNDER pFFAF AND THEY NO DOUBT WILL MAIL YOU A BOOK. HOPE THIS HELPS. :)
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM

I also have the same machine and I had the same problem. I fixed the problem with not just good thread but long staple thread. I use a love King Tut.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM

I also have the same machine and I had the same problem. I fixed the problem with not just good thread but long staple thread. I use and love King Tut.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 AM

I also have the Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200 with the Grace Next Generation frame and the stitch regulator. I've had it for about 2 1/2 years and use it a lot. This week I have done 3 quilts on it and am about to load a fourth. I'll admit that I had a little trouble with thread breaking until I got the hang of it and "found my rhythm" so to speak. Now I rarely have a break (and usually a new needle takes care of the problem) and I am not particular about what thread I use - I do a lot of double/queen sized for charity quilts so I use a lot of regular Coats & Clarks because it's cheaper and never have trouble with it. For invisible thread I will use Sulkey or YLI without much trouble. I use Schmetz needles - either quilting needles or just the universal type in size 80 or 90 so I guess I'm not particular about the needle either. Of course, every machine is different even when they are the same model so you may have a tempremental machine but I just wanted you to know that this machine can really be a workhorse. The only thing I don't like about it is the small throat space that means I have to turn those large quilts around halfway through. I wish I'd gotten one with more throat space but I hope to move up to that someday.
My only suggestion is to have the machine cleaned if you haven't already done so. It will really collect a lot of lint. I have mine serviced about once a year to clean out what I can't reach. Every time I change the bobbin, I use a small paint brush to really clean out the bobbin case and surrounding area, under the plate that covers the feed dogs, around the the thread guides above the needle, even on the presser foot. You will be surprised how much lint gets in all those places.
I hope we've all been of some help to you. Good luck with your machine and I hope you get it figured out.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by sewNso
. yes, it was doing fine till i dropped the bobbin into the bottome of the machine, and when retriving it i retrived it with a spring lose, and evidently it was srung or something. straight sews good, but not with the quilting foot, now. i will not give up. and yes, it is threaded correctly. got a vcr tape, and a dvd. with it.
This is probably over simplifying, but since you can sew straight but not with the quilting foot, did you put the plate over the feed dogs before you tried to freemotion? There's no way to drop the dogs on this model so you need the cover plate.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:17 AM

thank you pam. yes, i will get the hang of it, but while the bobbin case, etc is getting adjusted, from where i droped it, i will use my jenome 6600 to 'play' with and quilt a twin, i would like done for my daughter who is 8 months p.g. to cuddle with, this last cold month, or so, before she delivers. and it will be nice to use the frame, instead of having to pin, then quilt pushing it thru the machine. just another learning curve, to keep our minds young, hey??
Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 PM

Could someone send through picture of how it looks. There are so many of you it must be worth having. I would never try to quilt my quilt myself, on my machine so am wondering what you are using. Thanks for the reply. Karen
Old 11-16-2009, 10:54 PM

The Grand Quilter requires HL needles, regular quilting needles won't work. I have a GQ and I haven't had problems with the thread breaking.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:51 AM

thx, this site has been really helpful. got the needles. and evy thg wrk fine, but then dropped the bobbin. should be back soon. the frame is wond. picked up lots of tricks from just this one e-mail. don't env any problems aftr ths. duh, just move the machine to the end of the quilt to change bobbins.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 AM

i've got this book mrked for the content. will it disapr. compl. after a while?