Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pictures to fabric >

pictures to fabric

pictures to fabric

Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 AM

Okay, got a weird question. I'm working on the quilt for my in-laws. I've got 100 pictures printed onto fabric, I bought the June Taylor fabric sheets. I don't remember the exact wording, but the whole thing will be dry clean only. It warned that the ink would run. So, stupid me, we get all those pictures printed, I'm working on each one seperatly so they don't fray on me. But these are very very very water sensitive. I had taken a sip of water and had a tiny dew drop off the bottom of the glass, I didn't see it and a picture set on it, the color ran. Now, I'm worried, I found June Taylor has a colorfast fabric sheet that you heat set, then do a water setting thing. But is there anyway to make the kind I bought a little bit water friendly?? I really can't afford to redo all these pictures with new fabric sheets, the costs of what I bought are $11.00 for 10 sheets, the other is $13.00 for 3 sheets. I have more pictures to print, but I really don't want to redo all the work I just did. Yet, I am so scared the quilt will be ruined because of something as silly as water. Any ideas?? Thanks!!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 AM

I can sympathize. I tried the iron-on photo transfers for a friend's quilt. It was a nightmare. The photos smeared or wrinkled no matter how careful I was.

I swore never to do another photo quilt, and I am sticking to it.

Good luck anyway!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:12 PM

I had really really good luck last year with a family tree quilt, but the store that I bought those sheets at went out of business, I tried to buy them out of those before they did, but someone got to them before I did. And (once again) stupid me, didn't keep that packaging to order them online. Live and learn.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Do you have one to practice on? I'm thinking Scotchguard, but would not try it on a good one if a practice one was available. If all else fails, see if the manufacturer has a toll free number. I;m sure it has happened to others too.

By the way, dry cleaning is not really dry - you may want to verify care and feeding instructions.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Krylon Workable Fixatif might be a solution. i've never used it, and have no idea if you can stitch through it but it's supposed to be good on fabric.