Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Piecing or Quilting??

I enjoy them both, it's fun to take the fabric and make a quilt from start to finish and be able to say that I did it all. That's just me. I don't like hand appliqué or hand quilting and I think since quilting is a hobby, something we do for joy, if you really don't like quilting the quilt then have someone else do it. Make it affordable maybe do a trade off of skills. Life is too short, do what you love!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    How interesting that I don't mind the binding. Maybe we should trade out! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Piecing and Quilting, as long as we don't have to discuss binding.
    If it didn't cost so much for shipping, I would jump at this in a heartbeat.

I love all parts of quilting!!!! buying, cutting, piecing, quilting and binding.....mostly LOVE just feeling and looking at the fabric!!!

Hand Quilting! And for all who mostly piece to have something to quilt: why don't you try to do a wholecloth? It's quilters heaven: almost no seams to cross and and an area like a playground to fill with beautifull patterns! :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    Hand Quilting! And for all who mostly piece to have something to quilt: why don't you try to do a wholecloth? It's quilters heaven: almost no seams to cross and and an area like a playground to fill with beautifull patterns! :-)
    It is on my to-do list.

I like piecing because I like the feel of the fabric and the colors, rearranging them and coming up with a design. And there are so many wonderful colors to choose from.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I love hand quilting but after joining this board I did the math and figured I could crank out a lot more quilts doing MQ plus you have all inspired me by your beauties. I honestly think I'm better at quilting than piecing and quilting is so relaxing for me. The only part of the quilt process I really hate is sandwiching- but I'm getting better at it! Still don't like it though :D

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    You are an artist!! Every time I see your name in the picture section I check it out before anyone else.
    Yes I do plan to do a whole cloth eventually I have 4 WIPs in the works now.

I used to only do the piecing so I could get to the quilting part, but as I've gotten older, I am intrigued with patterns. I love to see what all of you are up to...I do the tutorials and make a couple of the quilts and find I like finding the right fabric and even though I'm not a precise piecer, I have learned to enjoy that process too.

definately the creative part of piecing.. don't think I will EVER enjoy the quilting part. Just not my thing. BUT I do all my own quilting, just simple stuff.

Both, but I think my piecing is more enjoyable b/c I have so many WIPs and UFOs. If I love quilting so much, why are these not completed? Huh?

A couple weeks ago I would have said piecing. But here lately, I have really started to like the quilting part! I machine quilt, and have been doing a lot of wall hangings lately so it's nice to be able to finish quilting them in an evening or two. I just like figuring out how I should quilt it, and seeing how it all comes together when I finish. Plus I don't have to worry if I measured right or if my points match, etc.

DITTO !

Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    Quilting! I only piece to have something to quilt.
    I hand quilt and that's my favorite thing to do. No stress, very relaxing.
    Piecing is just something I have to do to get to the quilting part.

Piecing is my favorite.

I enjoy the piecing! Halfway through one top I see my next project and can.t wait to get started!! I have a wonderful longarmer friend who set up her business a few years ago. I leave my tops with her(I usually supply backing and binding) I leave the designs to her she.s the expert!! She.s never let me down and has done 25/30 for me so far. She attaches the binding to the front then I just slipstitch when I get them back. To me it is worth every penny and makes my quilts special rather than just OK.

Blog Entries
    Piecing- I love planning ,picking out fabrics and sewing them together. After that they pretty much sit on a shelf. I think the real problem is I am afraid to try the rest of the process.

I know if I had a longarm I would really enjoy the quilting part. I've rented time on the longarm at my LQS and Loved seeing the whole project quilted in a beautiful design and being able to do it all at one time. I am happy for you that you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by dgmoby
    I have to say I thought I loved so piecing so much - that nothing would ever take it's place.

Then I got a longarm. Now I have to say that I love quilting so much more than I love piecing.

The draw is the freedom to add the texture that makes an already beautiful top come alive. It's that little something extra that makes one sit up and notice, and wonder, and come closer to check it out, that attracts me. I'm always thinking, 'How can I make it even better?'. I adore quilting :) It's a constant challenge!

If I were retired, I'd gladly foot the bill for the shipping. It's actually not that much, around $10 - $20. But, you wouldn't like waiting for me because I am so very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dee
    How interesting that I don't mind the binding. Maybe we should trade out! :)

Piecing and Quilting, as long as we don't have to discuss binding.
    If it didn't cost so much for shipping, I would jump at this in a heartbeat.

I agree. I know paying for longarm quilting is expensive for the buyer, but it takes the quilter a lot of time and they are not making a lot of profit, and they've invested a lot of money in their machine. It's a little easier for me to write a check than do the quilting myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    I enjoy the piecing! Halfway through one top I see my next project and can.t wait to get started!! I have a wonderful longarmer friend who set up her business a few years ago. I leave my tops with her(I usually supply backing and binding) I leave the designs to her she.s the expert!! She.s never let me down and has done 25/30 for me so far. She attaches the binding to the front then I just slipstitch when I get them back. To me it is worth every penny and makes my quilts special rather than just OK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2