Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing quilts in RV's >

Piecing quilts in RV's

Piecing quilts in RV's

Old 01-22-2021, 07:11 PM

Default Piecing quilts in RV's

We are planning several long camping trips over the next couple years. Do any of you piece quilts in RV's. We downsized from a 5th wheel to a smaller travel trailer, but I know I can sew using the table, or even outside at a picnic table. I thought I would cut all the pieces before leaving home, bring my sewing machine, small iron & mat, smaller mat & rotary cutter, etc. If you have done this, do you have suggestions for me. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:13 PM

I've not quilted in an RV, but I have taken quilting to a condo we stayed at over the winter. I did exactly as you are suggesting. I cut all the pieces before I left and assembled them in the condo. I would take fabric for an extra block or two just in case you make a mistake. I'd be sure to take a couple extra sewing machine needles. I'd take a high-powered portable light in case you need it. I didn't try to do any borders. Time for that when you get home. Small projects like table runners, wall hangings and placemats are great to work on in a small space. Enjoy yourself and safe travels.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:13 AM

boy, i would think of doing Quilt As You Go method in small spaces. I"m thinking of it now actually. Getting tired of lugging huge quilts around. But yes, cutting all your pieces before you leave is a very good idea. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:42 AM

I used to have to travel around for my job. I would throw my portable machine into the trunk, grab a project or two, my "sewing tool bag" and off I would go....so you could say I was stitching out of trunk. Yep...it helps to have the projects "kitted" up so you don't have to take your whole stash with you. tee hee....have fun ....the hotel rooms usually had an ironing board and iron but I would take my little travel iron just in case. And the quilt shops along the way were a great place to get out and stretch my legs . I got real good at finding something to buy and get in and out of that shop in 10 minutes.

Last edited by sewingpup; 01-23-2021 at 06:45 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-23-2021, 06:56 AM

My hubby and I lived in a motor home while waiting for a grandbaby to be born. I did very small projects that I cut pieces out and put all pieces in a baggy or small container. I mainly did english paper piecing by hand and then I had all of the dresden plates done and ready to put them on the background when we got home. Sounds like you have everything you need and enjoy your trips
Old 01-23-2021, 07:16 AM

I piece in my motorhome, and I did the same thing previously in my trailer. Pre-cutting at home is the way to go if the trip is less than a couple of months, but I find myself running out of piecing on longer trips. There is a great folding cutting mat that I use when I need something cut, and I keep rotary cutting supplies with me (cutter and spare blades). I only quilt pot holders and table runners mostly, though I have a baby quilt I intend to try FMQ with soon. I see what a few people seeing on long trips.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:41 AM

We go for 4 months to our trailer in the pines and I cut everything at home and take some extra fabric. I take mat and cutter and blades and I put each project in a zip lock baggie even that thread and zipper and everything I need for that project. I keep an iron and small ironing board in the trailer. I take all kinds of things I may need in a plastic small tote and then transfer to a four drawer when I get there that sits by the table where I put my machine. The chair is the problem cause it does not move nicely back and forth because of the slide out bump on the carpet. I bought a roller chair but it was to big for the trailer. You can make it work.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:39 PM

I have absolutely done this! I take an olfa mat (store under my mattress) and my ruler and rotary cutter. I have even hung a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth with command hooks for a design wall. I have a small sewing machine I take. I keep an iron and pressing mat in my trailer all the time. I love sewing in the trailer ... lots of windows ... fewer interruptions than at home.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:10 PM

I lived in my RV for years, so I did not have the luxury of cutting at home or saving borders for being at home. RV was home. I did everything start to finish. you will find a way. I used the dining room table for sewing and the counter island/peninsula thing for cutting and ironing. the bed was used as my design wall. i would strategically use the dining room chairs or stacked boxes for extra support around the counter or table to help hold the weight of a large quilt. The worst part of it all is that it has to get put away to do anything else functional in the RV. I'm sure with pre cutting and organizing things in totes, you will have it much easier. don't be discouraged, you will figure it out.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:11 PM

Your plan sounds like an exciting adventure. I haven't had the experience but will add a couple of thoughts for you.

I use a double side tackle box for sewing supplies. It holds a ton of tools. It was easy to pack for classes at the LQS. Does your machine use pre-wound bobbins? I like them as there is more thread on the bobbin. My LQS sells sample size bottles of spray starch. Don't forget a glue stick or elmer's school glue, and a magnetic pin holder. Have fun!