Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Piffle & Nonsense

Blog Entries
    Mad....I'd be scared to go into your sewing room!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by dotski
    why doesn't everyone list and add pictures of ufo's that they don't want to finish and see if other quilters might want finish them...kinda like a swap. one woman's trash is another woman's treasure. you could finish them and sent them back or just swap and keep them. or find the one's that like to quilt...or bind. everybody has one part of quilt making that they like to do best.
    GREAT IDEA! :lol: Then maybe they won't have to bury me in layers of unfinished UFOs ....

so that is why i hear voices at night. it's the UFO's...i thought i was losing my mind..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dotski
    why doesn't everyone list and add pictures of ufo's that they don't want to finish and see if other quilters might want finish them...kinda like a swap. one woman's trash is another woman's treasure. you could finish them and sent them back or just swap and keep them. or find the one's that like to quilt...or bind. everybody has one part of quilt making that they like to do best.
    This really is a great idea and is one that could birth a sideline of sending fabric that we dislike and will never use. Right now, I don't have either UFO's or fabric to get rid of. I keep a very small stash of pukey looking fabric that I keep for a "practice" supply.

It takes me forever to finish anything!

what I do is write a list of things almost done, a list of things half done, a list of things that supplies have been bought for and a list of wishs and dreams. then stick it to the door where I HAVE TO SEE IT my goal is not to finish everything, that seems daunting! but only to not let one list get to much longer than the rest.
    AND then I dont forget about things that get stuffed in the back because I dont want to THINK about that one frustrating piece, and its very nice to cross something off the list :)

I agree with all that's been said.

My main concern is that "I"just seem to quilt so slowly. It seems like it takes me forever to get anything done.....

(And all the while, I'm buying more fabric for future projects. My mind is usually on overload thinking up new things I want to make. Honestly, though, I don't think I'll ever get done at this rate.........it is frustrating)

p.s.--I know the solution---I'll hire a housekeeper, dog walker, cook, and laundry lady--then I'll get more done--'ya think?

Blog Entries
    okay so how do we get started...do we have to okay this with somebody. i have never done anything like this before. anybody have any ideas ? let's not just talk about it let's do it !!!

Last year I actually counted my UFO's and found that there were 24. Yikes!! Well it is down to about 18 now, so I am making some progress. I cannot hear my UFO's calling to me as they are in a box under the bed, and the box has a tight cover. ha ha. I will go play with them when I FEEL like it. Meanwhile I have two in progress right now. One in a frame and the other in a hoop. I go back and forth with them, and since neither has a deadline I am taking my time.

I like the idea of dotski "let's not just talk about it let's do it !!!"
    OK if i make a couple of suggestions?
    1. post our list of UFO's Maybe a short bio on what is left to do on each.
    2. let us know when you finish one and which one on your list
    3. add to the list when we start something new?
    4. chose someting to reward ourself with when we finish a UFO

anyone wish to add to the list?

Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble

Nothing to add, but I love number 4. I think I should put up a sign saying "If you finish one you can have some more fabric".

I finally had to move my UFO's to another room, I couldn't concentrate with all the "pick me, pick me". Plus, I don't want the future UFO's I'm currently working on to hear all the whimpering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
    I finally had to move my UFO's to another room, I couldn't concentrate with all the "pick me, pick me". Plus, I don't want the future UFO's I'm currently working on to hear all the whimpering.
    What a hoot! I got a tremendous chuckle out of your whining/whimpering UFOs story. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has pitiful UFOs.

Just wondering what section of the Forum should they be in ... swaps? classifieds? photos?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I only go in there with a bottle of Cabernet. (Gee - I just realize that's probably why I hear/see the things I hear/see. LOL!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I only go in there with a bottle of Cabernet. (Gee - I just realize that's probably why I hear/see the things I hear/see. LOL!!!!!)
    Maybe you should take 2 bottles in there with you, or switch to a higher proof beverage. I'm with Sandpat ... your sewing room sounds scary. Just hope the things continue to fight amonst themselves and not band together and turn on you.

This is a great thread!
    I used to wonder if I had someone else living in the sewing room with me as I would constantly hear things such as
    "I'm over here"
    "Don't forget about me"
    "Do you remember what I look like"
    I finally realized it was my UFO's begging for attention. It got worse when my WIPs decided to start chatting with the UFO's (then i thought I had mice because there was a constant scrambling!)
    I have a lot of UFO's and probably just as many WIPs. My problem is I find a fabric I love and have to make something or a pattern that I just have to try....oh the bain of being a quilter lol
    Hugs
    April

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Last year I actually counted my UFO's and found that there were 24. Yikes!! Well it is down to about 18 now, so I am making some progress. I cannot hear my UFO's calling to me as they are in a box under the bed, and the box has a tight cover. ha ha. I will go play with them when I FEEL like it. Meanwhile I have two in progress right now. One in a frame and the other in a hoop. I go back and forth with them, and since neither has a deadline I am taking my time.
    Only 18!?! :shock: Holy smokes, I can't imagine getting my UFOs down to 18. I wasn't kidding when I said I had about 90 of them. As I go through them, there are some that I think will end up being a bit smaller than I had planned. I did a BOM about 16 years ago and let my sister borrow the patterns. She's never returned it and I can't seem to pry it from her, which tells me it's likely been lost over the years and she just doesn't have the courage to tell me. I've got four blocks done from that and I think it'll end up becoming a table runner instead of a lap quilt. There might be a few more I can cut down like that, but the majority are quilts I actually want to finish. :roll:

"do i feel guilty about it? HECK NO!!! i used to until i remembered that i work hard enough on other things that i deserve to decide for myself when i'm ready to put aside the fun of piecing to actually finish something. i'll bet the same is true of you."

Patrice, I really appreciate your thoughts. I can beat myself up but it is true that I am a hard worker in the other aspects of my life and this is supposed to be the fun stuff...
    Madquilter - I loved the image I came up with when reading about your warring supplies!
    lots2do (but tonight I don't wanna)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
    ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    My problem UFO pile is finished tops folded on top of a box UNDER my quilting frame!!! They sit there forlornly, waiting to be pinned onto the frame to become a useful object. Additionally, my quilting DH also adds to the pile...we currently have 2 for me, 2 for him....4 quilts to be quilted, and he has 2 more nearly finished....6!!! I have too many projects to finish before Christmas to do anything about them...he's going to have to do his own!!! LOL He won't want to hear that, necessarily!!

I do have 2 UFOs in the sewing stage...one butterfly paper pieced quilt top that I started 2 years ago, and another table runner of maple leaf pattern.....both will have to wait for a time when I have NOTHING else to do!! (FAT CHANCE!!!!)

Blog Entries
    Too funny! I can just imagine all these UFO's and WIP's getting together and trying to decide who gets to get done first.....Mine are laying in a pile on a chair and are all covered up with a towel, so the whimpering is at least muffled...so glad that hearing things bit means I'm not alone :roll:

I'm not sure what type of list is wanting to be created...are you wanting to make a list of your own UFO's and then challenge yourself to finish them...or are you wanting to make a list to swap them with someone else? I'm confused....and that isn't all that hard :wink:

I was thinking our own list, challange ourselves to finish something. I do better when I READ the lists I make LOL.
    I try to finish a WIP or UFO before starting something new, does not always work.
    I have/had three to do for Christmas, finished one yesterday. Anyone see the Quilters World this past summer (do not remember which one) that had beach Buddies? It is a quilt on the back of a beach towel. I got the towels in Sept on sale, they are 6 feet long. My son is deployed to Iraq, his home base is Hawaii so what would be a better gift to my DIL and Grand-daughters than beach buddies?!

I was thinking our own list, challange ourselves to finish something. I do better when I READ the lists I make LOL.
    I try to finish a WIP or UFO before starting something new, does not always work.
    I have/had three to do for Christmas, finished one yesterday. Anyone see the Quilters World this past summer (do not remember which one) that had beach Buddies? It is a quilt on the back of a beach towel. I got the towels in Sept on sale, they are 6 feet long. My son is deployed to Iraq, his home base is Hawaii so what would be a better gift to my DIL and Grand-daughters than beach buddies?!
    Oopsy! I misunderstood the "list" suggestion entirely. I was laboring under the delusion that we were talking about somehow swapping or donating our perceived "trash" UFOs that we were not interested in finishing -- to someone who might see them as "treasures" and who would then make them into FOs. Sorry. My bad!

Blog Entries
    a UFO swap? :shock:

not a good idea. at least not as an "official" and organized board activity. it would spin out of control and get so complicated so fast ... [hold on a sec. i'm havin' a dizzy spell just thinkin' about it. :!: ... deeeeeeeeeeeeep breaths .... ok ... i'm back.]

however, there isn't a reason in the world board buddies couldn't make arrangements privately to trade tasks to tag-team some of their projects. or swap whole projects among themselves. you wouldn't need board permission and could decide for yourselves how to work it out.

now ... lists .... hmmmmm ..... that's an individual choice. if you're brave enough to challenge yourself in writing and in front of thousands of witnesses ... go for it. (let us know how long took to get them all to agree which is a WIP, which a UFO, and to then settle all those arguments about who goes where on the list. Mad might need to send out cases of cabernet. :lol: :lol: )

i tried to make a complete list once. then i realized i'd have to actually clean up around here to get everything organized and inventoried. i was digging through drawers in every room, under the bed, diving into closets, haulin' out the little ladder. heck ... i have some stashed in the trunk of my car.

so what happened? my pad of paper and pencil got buried somewhere in all the piles. :|

i decided to look for it later because i got the urge to start something new using some fabrics i rediscovered during the search. :XD:

If there weren't UFO's or WIP's...there would be no reason to get up in the morning!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast