Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pincushions? You have lots like your pin collection? >

Pincushions? You have lots like your pin collection?

Pincushions? You have lots like your pin collection?

Old 10-31-2020, 03:05 AM

Interestingly, I don't have a lot of pin cushions, I basically have two, a pink tomato that sits on my machine and another one that's a tube that I made for my organizer. My pink tomato is about to bite the dust, though, so going to make a cube cushion from some floral fat quarters I picked up a while back.

I did have some of the small pin cushions you wear on your finger like a ring, loved those things to death, like literally. Bought some more buttons and they arrived yesterday, just waiting for the elastic to get here so I can make a few and restock.

Thought about making the chicken pin cushion, that thing is cute as a button. I do need a couple more pin cushions, at least.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:49 AM

I guess I'm too impatient to use a pin cushion. I tried because there are some cute ones out there and to be created! I like pulling out the prepared pins but not putting them back! I have a magnetic pin holder nestled inside a larger tupperware. When I knock it off onto the floor, the pins don't go all over. Don't use pins as much since discovering the wonder clips, but when exact seam matching is required, I use pins there so I can sew over them.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:14 AM

Nope...just one pin cushion and I think I purchased it back in 2010 when I took up quilting again.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

a few years back, we had a wonderful pin cushion swap. i made a turkey for thanksgiving. not what you think. it was on a sliver plated platter. he was tanish, and i made what a real dinner turkey looks like. legs up in the air, wings tucked in. just too cute. i've done other ones that start out as a tomato pincushion, but flatter. I've put leprechauns and christmas trees on them. one i kept for myself and one i traded of the bottom blue water fabric. then smaller one on top is sandy colored, and big shells all over.

maybe the recipients are still here, and can post pictures. I've don't so many different ones. my fab that i use all the time are, about 3"x5", and it's a woven selvage pinchcusion. and another one i made that is embroidered, a pincushion, and is about 5 x 5. show us yours.
I also used to love making fancy pins to decorate them with.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:37 PM

I have several. I have one my mother made from a doily, 2 red tomatoes, one big one I won at qult guild and several small porcelain dachshund pin cushions that are mostly for display. I love pin cushions! I have one small dachshund planter that is waiting for me to have time to make him into a pin cushion.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:03 PM

A couple of years ago my guild paid a bunch of pincushions for sale in a boutique we had--so many creative ones! I made 2 in tiny flower pots--one is tiny wool posies and the other is a cactus. But those are for decor, my magnetic one is on the cutting table, the large cube with an attached thread bag sits next to my machine, I have another magnetic one with my travel machine then there are the 2 at long arm (one for corsage pins and one for regular pins) Would love to have more cute ones but no space to display.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:52 AM

I used to knit, before I took up sewing, and would buy interesting pincushions for my stepmother at fiber fairs. I brought those home with me after she died. I think of her often with those sitting around my sewing areas. They are made with felted wool balls and make fantastic pin cushions. I have a few of those, plus another one that I made using a small can and a wool ball that I made myself (sewing guild project) I also have several magnetic types. I use them all.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:12 AM

I wonder why more pin cushion patterns don't suggest using left over wool batting? Although light weight, the lanolin in the wool helps prevent the pins going rusty and I believe adds a "glide" factor to the pins. I put a very large washer in the bottom to give my pin cushion weight.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

I like nicely made pincushions. I stopped doing the swaps because I put lots of time and details in the ones I made to get back a can/jar/cup filled with batting with fabric glued around the top.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:08 AM

Fun thread!
I have a wrist pincushion that I find very handy...from a big box store. Once, I forgot to take it off and went grocery shopping wearing it full of pins!

I used a canning jar to make a pincushion. You take out the metal lid section and put poly-fulff and fabric and screw on the lid.
Glue a circle of cardboard over the turned over raw edges. I keep a measuring tape in the bottom of the jar!

I love my pumpkin pincushion I made for Fall! A few more: selvage pincushion filled with sand, and my favorite one is the Gadget pincushion using the pattern found at www.quiltsmart.com.