Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: pinning or basting of your quilt?

For machine quilting I spray baste. For hand quilting I would pin over a table, takes a bit longer but worth it. or if you have access to several large tables (library, or other public venue) you can usually get permission to pin a quilt there.

When I have sheets and blankets off the bed for laundering I lay out my backing and sandwich the quilt and pin it. Works for me.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

Quote Originally Posted by babindg12200 View Post
    If you go to this site, watch the video, because it shows you how to baste without getting on the floor or table. This woman is amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUz...eature=related
    I would love to use this technique but I have a hard time believing it is really safe to do indoors - which is the only option I have.
    Pat

I have used ping-pong tables at church too. I also have pushed together two tables, those 8 foot folding tables used in churches, banquet halls and the like and use them for larger quilts. I understand. It is getting less and less easy for crawl around on the floor and even harder to get up off of the floor. Where did youth disapear to?

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Google the Sharon Schambers method of basting a quilt. She has her tutorials on Youtube. My DD and I used her method for the last quilt we finished. So much easier that getting down on the floor and pinning. Her tute shows her sandwiching a small quilt but it worked for our 70x70 quilt with a little practice.
    That's the technique I use, too, except I pin instead of thread baste.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I use my dining room table with the pad turned over. Fuzzy side up. Then I baste and after the center is basted I move it to get the sides and ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    Google the Sharon Schambers method of basting a quilt. She has her tutorials on Youtube. My DD and I used her method for the last quilt we finished. So much easier that getting down on the floor and pinning. Her tute shows her sandwiching a small quilt but it worked for our 70x70 quilt with a little practice.
    I love this method. The basting holds very well when maneuvering it through the machine. I think the secret is making sure each layer is completely smooth and in good contact with the layer it is being layerd to. I was told everything would be sticky and gum up the needle but it wasn't a problem for me. I let it dry for 12+ hours before I started working with it.

Blog Entries
    I too have trouble with knees and my back, and getting on the floor is not something I can do anymore. So I took a bunch of pictures off my wall, hung up a 9 ft. 1x4 and then put up a tarp and now I hang my backing to the 1x4, spray (the tarp catches the over spray) and then I put my batting on the backing, then spray again and then I put my top on the batting. Then I pin with safety pins. It's not pretty but it is soooo much easier and faster too!

Blog Entries
    I used Sharon's method of basting (sorta) to tie a quilt. It was a large lap quilt. Instead of basting I just tied it and then rolled it to another section and tied some more. Did it all sitting at a 6' fold out table that I bought at Fred's for $20-30. No floor for me either. Soooooo easy on the back & knees.
    TwandasMom

I hear you about getting down on the floor!! What I do is use at table be it dinning room or a drop leaf work table I bought at Hancocks or Joanns . Also I pin my quilts from the center. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I pin my quilt on a table. I find the center of the quilt and the batting and backing and I put a pin right there. Then I lay the quilt out on a table. I have a cutting table that folds down on both sides, but you could use a dining table or even a card table. I smooth out the layers and yes, sometimes the sides of the quilt hang over the edge. I just start pinning from the center out. I have had no problems with bunching at all.
    That's what I have had to resort to in my "old age" since the back and knees can take only so much bending and stooping. (woe is me!) I think my next step will be to get the office clips that yayaquilts uses.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2