Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plastic bobbin breakage >

Plastic bobbin breakage

Plastic bobbin breakage

Old 05-19-2015, 11:27 AM

I do not like the plastic bobbins and avoid using them if possible. But since these are specifically designed for your machine I'm guessing that you may have just gotten some that had a defect of some sort that didn't show up until you used them.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltedCritterLady View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with plastic bobbins breaking. I got a Janome 8900 QCP and have had a handful of issues with it. One of those issues is that in just two month's time, (and very little use) I have had two plastic (Janome) bobbins break. The first one broke cleanly; the end just pop off. The last time it happened, the bobbin looked almost like it shattered. That was one of the new (and supposedly improved) blue Janome bobbins. This is very frustrating, because thread is not cheap and so far, I've not found a way to salvage the thread when it happens. My dealer has specifically said that I must use Janome bobbins, but this is ridiculous. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Additional info: I've been trying to improve my free-motion quilting so I was practicing with that. I also was using the larger (blue-dot) bobbin case – which I finally removed and replaced with the regular one. The bigger bobbin case seemed to cause more problems and did not improve stitch quality in any way.
I, too, had problems with the bobbin exploding while I was winding. I don't think any of my Janome bobbins broke. I was blaming generic bobbins for breaking. It is very frustrating. I've wasted thread on 3 bobbins so far. Now, whenever I am using non-Janome bobbins, I fill the bobbin only 1/2 to 3/4 way to prevent this from happening.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:41 AM

I have had this same problem with the plastic bobbins that came with my Pfaff 4.2 Quilt Expression. Two broke while I was winding the bobbin. The whole side just popped off the first time. I heard it crack and stopped winding the second one. I have never been happy with the bobbin winding on this machine. The lever that is supposed to "feel" that the bobbin is full has far too much play in it. It wiggles back and forth. No amount of tightening works. The shop where I purchased it has been no help. They must say to keep retightening. I just keep an eye on the bobbin when winding and stop when it seems full enough.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:27 AM

I've had Janomes for 20 years and have never had this problem. I use plastic bobbins, not necessarily Janome brand, and also the prewound bobbins. My Janome 6600P has a special bobbin button for winding bobbins so only one speed available. Hope you get yours figured out.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:10 AM

I've never had a problem with bobbins on my 8900 -- unless I used the wrong ones (from a different machine) by mistake. I've brought them from the dealer and online. Hope the problem is winding the poly/nylon invisible thread too fast.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:52 AM

I had a plastic bobbin crack while loading Sulky metallic thread. No way to reclaim the thread.