Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Please help me, who makes these fabric? Have picture, no info on selvage...

Blog Entries

Question Please help me, who makes these fabric? Have picture, no info on selvage...

Hi all,
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me who is the maker of these fabrics? Or any info? Unfortunately no info on selvage...I am thinking its probably from the 1990's..but not sure.
    Name:  031.JPG
Views: 812
Size:  253.5 KBName:  048.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  230.0 KBName:  049.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  216.4 KB

Thanks so much for any info y'all may have!
    Regards,
    Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

yel
    Blog Entries
    i have a few yards with just the stripes and the hearts .....yes it did come from the 90's and i think i got it at walmart

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info...I actually have some with just the stripes and hearts, too...but forgot about them until you mentioned it...This should be my sign that I have too much fabric!! I am thinking I have 2 yards of each one of these (haven't officially measured them yet). I am doing a clean out of my fabrics and am thinking I will sell them...I have thought about what to make with these for a while...I just don't think I will be getting to it, tho. Maybe someone will come along who can tell me the manufacturer...or if Wal-mart just made their own back in the 90's...Also I need to go and see how much I have of the stripe/heart and if it coordinates to see about selling it with these..Thanks so much!
    Regards,
    Kif
    Last edited by kiffie2413; 06-17-2013 at 04:56 PM.

I believe it is a Cranston Fabric. I have the navy with red hearts and that is what it is.

Power Poster
    I would guess VIP, Peter Pan, Marcus Brothers, or Springs.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to you all. If i decide to sell them, I am thinking I will post the pics and the info I have; making sure to say I am not certain of the maker, etc.. I really appreciate all the help!
    Regards,
    Kif

Power Poster
    Do a burn test on a scrap to see if it's 100% cotton or a blend.
    If it contains poly, the smoke will be black.

I used to have the stripe with hearts, and I believe it came from K-Mart and I think it was VIP fabric. There is a slight chance that it was Cranston. I say this because I didn't shop at WalMart in the 90's. I did shop a lot at Minnesota Fabrics also. Does anyone else remember them?
    Sue

Power Poster
    VIP is made by Cranston.

A lot of the nicer fabric I have purchased at Walmart thru the years has been Cranston VIP.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    A lot of the nicer fabric I have purchased at Walmart thru the years has been Cranston VIP.
    Some of the VIPs are among the NICEST fabrics I have - especially some of the older ones.

Cranston also makes some other nice lines.

I will admit, though, that some of the prints are nicer and seem to be higher quality than others.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again! Its 100% cotton...and it is a good quality fabric.
    Mom-6 and bearisgray, totally agree! I also have more of the older VIP/Cranston fabrics, they are all nice quality...not thin and such..
    Regards,
    Kif

The poly blend fabrics will have a hard ball where it was burned and the cotton will have a white/gray ash.
    The hard ball is the plastic from the poly, which may give off black smoke.
    OzarksGma
    OzarksGma

Blog Entries
    I remember buying VIP fabric in the early 70's in a LQS and paying $2.97 (gasp!) a yard for it. I made a long peasant dress out of it and wore it a long long time as a lounging dress!!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarksGma View Post
    The poly blend fabrics will have a hard ball where it was burned and the cotton will have a white/gray ash.
    The hard ball is the plastic from the poly, which may give off black smoke.
    OzarksGma
    Other things to consider: Often the frayed threads around the edges of a cotton/poly blend are thinner than the same threads on an all cotton piece of fabric. I also prewash and when ironing, use the hottest setting on the iron (cotton or linen), which is too hot for a cotton/poly blend, so the cotton/poly blend will give off a light pungent odor. 100% cotton never smells like that---it only smells clean or like nothing at all. You can also shine a blacklight over the fabric, because polyester will glow in the blacklight, cotton will not.